My Sister's Keeper My Sister's Keeper discussion

Like the movie?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Is the movie a lot like the book? I heard that the movie is okay...and really graphical..and really sad...and...I don't know if I want to watch that. I can read stuff like that..but not watch it. I also heard that the ending is different in the movie than it is in the book. so..if any of you have seen the movie...what is your review of it? please let me know cause i want to know what it is like..before i go see it. thanks!

Paige Corica The book is a lot better i believe. The movie is good to watch its not horrible, But they changed a good amount of the book when doing the movie. I am more of a reader anyways I like to personally imagine what the characters do and look like, but i say to read the book first!! and wait till after to watch the movie and base your opinion that way.

Ashley Hammond Honestly the movie is good IF you've never read the book. In the movie they changed the whole irony of the story. It was ruined. One of the aspects that makes Jodi Picoult great is her ability to throw these curve balls at her readers, and the movie just swept that away like it was a minor detail.

message 4: by Uzli (last edited May 29, 2011 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Uzli Mn I watched the movie and read the book. The movie changes the ending.

In ending-thing i prefer the movie. But in everything else i prefer the book. Really like the way Jodi Picoult changes the point of view of the personage.

Santi Kurniati Unfortunately I haven't watch this movie...

Maddie The movie ending is a lot less harsh than the book ending, but still really sad. Its such a good movie and I recommend you see it. But please bring some kleenex, i cried through the whole thing!

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Moberg I loved them both even though they are different. Definitely needed a box or 2 of kleenex!

Angelica I do like the movie [ I bought it] but the book is SO MUCH BETTER!!!

message 9: by Julia (last edited Jun 21, 2011 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia I don't usually watch the movie after an excellent book. I'm not such a fan of this author, but this book was magnificent. She came to Cape Town, South Africa last year and I went to an event where she was speaking. Apparently there was a big thing between her and the movie makers - they insisted on doing their own thing.

message 10: by Mrs. Lacey (new)

Mrs. Lacey I agree that the book is so much better. I'm one of those people who see a trailer for an upcoming movie and buy the book to read before I see it to compare, I was so disappointed with the predictable ending. Piccoult's twist was so much better.

Donna D. As others have said, if you read the book, the movie is HUGELY disappointing---my daughter and I both loved the book. She wanted to leave the film version. It's really a shame.

Jennifer I thought the movie was a big disappointment after reading the book. This is probably my favorite of Jodi's books, I even got my copy signed by her when she came to the local college to do a Q&A session. So much of the humorous dialog between Anna and the lawyer was not in the movie. And the ending of the movie was terrible!

Kristina Usually I am a huge fan of movies over books, but Jodi always has sad endings in her books. Because of that I liked the movie better.

Tereza I always prefer books over movies (the only exception for me are Jules Verne books - I'm not able to read them) so the movie was real disappointment for me. And I guess the sad ends are something what make J. Picoult books so special + the change on the end (everyone expects Kate's death). It's really brilliant - that part should be in the movie, and I also expected Julia there...

message 15: by Savanah (last edited Jul 13, 2011 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanah I was really upset about the ending.
I kind of was expecting Kate to die and not Anna.

message 16: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Thank you. I don't think I'm going to watch the movie. I might read the book sometime though. Thanks for all of the help!

message 17: by Noel (new)

Noel if i had never read the book before i would have said that the movie was great, but i have read the book before and i thought the movie was terrible. they changed soooo much stuff....they didnt include hardly any of the flashbacks, they didnt include any of the fires or hardly anything about the brother, and they killed the wrong person and left out most of the court stuff including the lady that was watching anna. the only thing that stuck with the book was that the girl had cancer, anna wanted medical freedom, and that the mom was pissed. also the movie made it seem like the dance part was happening in the present but in the book it was a flashback

Eulalio Arcia Both sisters were very well portrayed in the movie. Abigail and Sofia did a fine acting. I was kinds disappointed in the ending, though. I wish it were closer to what really happened in the book. I give an 8/10 to the movie

Erica I think I believe what most people would. If you've read the book I would advise DO NOT see the movie or you will find more than just disappointment. Many people including myself have become very irritated by how they decided to play this movie out. It takes away from the biggest message of the story that Picoult was trying to send to everyone.

message 20: by rudy (new) - rated it 5 stars

rudy Kimmy wrote: "I loved them both even though they are different. Definitely needed a box or 2 of kleenex!"

me tooo! i thought it was good. ok, alot of it was missing that was in the book, but it was good. and hell yeah! i came out puffy lips, red eyes and nose! lol.

message 21: by rudy (new) - rated it 5 stars

rudy Eulalio wrote: "Both sisters were very well portrayed in the movie. Abigail and Sofia did a fine acting. I was kinds disappointed in the ending, though. I wish it were closer to what really happened in the book. I..."

yes, the ending was a massive disappointment!

Lauren Silver I definitely did NOT like the movie more than the book!

Audrey ok so i have not seen the movie yet but i was told how it ended. and it is completely opposite from the book. the movie ending might be "happier" but i thing the story was wonderful and beautiful the way jodi wrote it.

Jean Paul LeFrey The movie was terrible and the ending ruined. The whole point was the ending in the book which they shredded in the movie. Awful!

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Dec 31, 2011 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa The ending of the movie was much more realistic. Actually the ending of the book bothered me a lot. I major point of the story (book and movie) is that it's possible to ask too much of somebody, and it's particularly a problem if that somebody is one of your child because in that case there's also a terrible abuse of power. I thought the mother was so out of line in what she expected of Anna. She didn't really ask, she expected Anna to keep giving and giving and giving, and for her body to be an extension of Kate's body. Then used shaming and other powers as a parent to get what she wanted, what she thought was right. In her blindness born of her obession, she lost sight of Anna's right to choose the most personal aspects of her life - what to do with her own body. Her body became a sort of organ and blood product farm for her sister. Thus I think Anna's free will and right to her own body was profoundly trampled by this mother. Anna initiated a law suit because of this unreasonableness, and so began a wrestling with what is right and what is reasonable vs unreasonable to expect of a family member.

I thought both exposed the danger and blindness of obsession. The book ending (in my opinion) sold out by proving the mother right - that one more sacrifice would have 'done it' and saved Kate for good, just as she hoped. The movie, on the other hand, navigated the family, particularly Kate and her mother, to the reality that sometimes cancer 'wins'. It's awful, it's unfair, it's tragic, but that's what can happen in this situation.

message 26: by Lama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lama Noureddine I think that the movie is very dissapointing. The book is not a cliche. The ending was nowhere to be expected. The movie radically changed the end. I liked the book way more than the movie

message 27: by Lenore (last edited Jan 03, 2012 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore I loved the book..the movie was just OK. It seems to me when ever they make a movie that was a book, the book is so much better, Maybe it is because they don't have enough time to get all the important parts in. I am glad I read the book first

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I never watched the movie. It's never as good as the book, so why bother. I loved the book.

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa It can be fun to have visuals to a book and sometimes a film maker can take you further than your own imagination went. Occasionally the movie is better. I think it depends on whether you're a movie nut as well as a book nut though. But I agree in general that movies, especially if you really loved the book, can be disappointing. Not always, but a lot of the time.

Rachel No. They changed the ending which ruined the movie

message 31: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa It's so funny how differently people see things. I thought the changed movie ending was better, improved the story as opposed to ruining it. A bunch of people I used to work with had all both read the book and seen the movie, and were divided 50/50 on which was better. At the end of the day, you just have to decide for yourself. There is no right answer here.

Schlabs Casey book is way better than the movie...

message 33: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose I didn't find the movie bad - it just wasn't the same as the book, so having read it first, I wasn't happy (as one never is, when you go and see the movie version of a book, only to find it's not the story you expected at all). The movie itself isn't bad, it's just not a great version of the book (which is amazing).

Courtney I loved the book which I finished after I saw the movie. The movie was not very similar with the book. Tha major points in the movie where changed from the book. It kind of disappointed me while finishing. This book to me is a must read and then watch the movie just to see the difference. I still thought is was a good movie but they could have changed it to be more like the book.

message 35: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Nevers Kasey wrote: "Is the movie a lot like the book? I heard that the movie is okay...and really graphical..and really sad...and...I don't know if I want to watch that. I can read stuff like that..but not watch it. I..."

The book is a lot better, very different than the movie. The endings from the movie and book are both completely different.

Angie I read the book before watching the movie and was very disappointed with the film. If I hadn't already read the book I think I would have enjoyed the film far more. As it was, I didn't think that the movie did the book justice.

message 37: by Kasey (new)

Kasey I appreciate all of your comments. I think I will read the book. One of my best friends read the book and she saw the movie. She told me that the book is a lot better. I will try to read it sometime and tell you if I like it or not. Thank you for the help.

message 38: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994 Er... kind of.

Jessica The movie was good. I love Sofia Vassilieva. However, I love the book much more!

Karen They completely changed the ending which i think spoilt it .I dont know why they would completely change the ending why make a movie about a book and change the end it doesnt make sense. I enjoyed the film but i enjoyed the book alot more.

Emily I agree the book was so much better than the movie, not to say the movie wasn't good because I think it was. I think they had to change the end because it was more fitting for a Hollywood movie, but I definitely liked the book better

Amanda WHile the movie is good and Abigail Breslin does an amazing job, for me they changed way too much of the book - in particular the shocking ending! That was an outrage in my opinion. Very disappointed. It is worth a watch though but just try and think of it as a separate thing from the book.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

message 43: by S.m. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.m. Rolfe I thought the movie was just awful and awkward...the ending to the book was what made it so powerful! The ending to the movie just made it a plain forseen ending

message 44: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Although I loved this movie i thought the book was better as most of the actors were quite bad...

Jessica I thought the movie had great actors but the ending ruined it. One think I have always admired about Jodie Picoult is her ability to create these complex stories with endings that I would never have thought of. Her ending makes the entire book worthwhile.

message 46: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994 I liked the book much better than the movie. If i die young-The Band perry really fits with My Sister's Keeper

message 47: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Thank you for all of the comments! :) I am currently reading The Hunger Games, but once I finish that series, I will read My Sister's Keeper. I like Jodi Picoult. She is an amazing writer.

Connie Sandlin The book was better than the movie. The ending of the book was a surprising twist. The ending of the movie was very predictable.

Michelle I love the book, so I was very excited to see the movie. It was a big disappointment! If you haven't seen the movie yet, don't waste your time!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the book much better only because it had an original ending, for those who hadn't read the book or watched the movie you basically expected the whole way through that the sibling with cancer dies and in the movie that is what they give you. I honestly prefered the book because the ending was original.

« previous 1 3