Book Haven discussion

Horror > What frightens you the most?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Is there a specific type of character that frightens you the most? Or a plot? What really gets to you?

Personally, I get really freaked out by creepy clowns. They don't frighten me in person, but otherwise...(CREEPY!)

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments Oh I agree on the clowns -- ewww. It -- Pennywise the Clown - scary. And in movies - in Poltergeist when the clown doll is not longer on the chair....

message 3: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Yes. Creepy clowns. They just creep me out with their... their painted expressions on their faces... It just makes me wonder what they are really thinking about. Like killing people.

@ Terry - That freakin' clown doll is probably the main reason I don't like clowns. Even thought IT and Killer Klowns from Outer Space surely didn't help any.

Also, angry ghosts.

And zombies. Can't forget zombies.

As for plots, I can't think of any in particular. But when it's in a movie, and the background music suddenly gets quiet, it scares me cause I know something is about to happen.

So I guess any plot that is more psychological and builds up your anticipation, rather than one full of action and things popping out everywhere.

message 4: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments It was the first horror story I ever read and it has stuck with me through all these years.
The one thing that really freaks me out is possessions. I can't read about them or watch movies about them.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

Rane wrote: "After watching IT as a kid I hate clows. period.

What scares me the most about a character is when they appear normal, charming or an everyday person when really their insane. THAT scares me!"

The movie "IT" is what freaked me out as well! Blah!

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo I think ghosts are scary. Has anyone seen Haunting in connecticut? That creeped me out. I love zombies but they dont scare me

message 7: by J.D. (new)

Jo wrote: "I think ghosts are scary. Has anyone seen Haunting in connecticut? That creeped me out. I love zombies but they dont scare me "

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. :)

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo You should i really liked it :) I love scary films but not many scare me but that one was pretty scary

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Clowns, yuck. Zombies, double yuck. I can't stand serial killer movies and books. Can't handle it. Movies like Seven and Just Cause will keep me up at night, also Silence of the Lambs. I refuse to wtach movies like Saw, Hostel, Wolf Creek, and The Devils Rejects. Ghosts fascinate me. I love watching the paranormal shows like Paranormal State, Ghost Hunters, and A Haunting. It gets really scary when there's a demonic possession. That creeps me out. Also evil children. Shudder.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo I like films like devils rejects where its weird people killing normal people and like texas chainsaw massacre. I thought Saw was a good idea for a film but now theres 5 its getting stupid. The idea got old after the first one im not sure how much more they can drain one idea

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo Have you seen the 2nd hostel movie? That was sick. Some films are gory but not scary and are good but that one was just crap

message 12: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I can't think of a particular character type that scares me in horror, I think it all depends on the story. Like I love reading vampire books but if it was a horro vampire book I would be freaked out. I pretty much can't read horror anymore or else I'm turning on every light in the house on my way to bed, lol

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo Teryl wrote: "I can't think of a particular character type that scares me in horror, I think it all depends on the story. Like I love reading vampire books but if it was a horro vampire book I would be freaked ..."

Their the best kind of books and films! If i tried to write a scary book it wouldnt be scary at all but if some one can get you to leave the lights on then surely thats gotta count for something. Horror with out scaring the hell out you isnt really horror in my opinion

message 14: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy Haha it seems Im not the only one who hates clowns. :)

I'm not quite afraid of maggots but they totally freak me out. Anything worm like that crawls and just *gag* ugh, I can't even think of it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic things in dark corners. i can tolerate any monsters, gory mutilated creatures I can "see" but things that lurk creep me out!

message 16: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "things in dark corners. i can tolerate any monsters, gory mutilated creatures I can "see" but things that lurk creep me out!"

Shivers, that's why I won't swim in the ocean. I don't like not knowing what is near me. LOL So, I guess it would creep me out if there were things that were "lurking"...

message 17: by Lizz (new)

Lizz | 8 comments probably clowns, ever since "It" came out i cant stand them or writers for movies like "Saw" because they have to be totally morbid to come up with all that torture

message 18: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 102 comments honestly I know most of what I read in fantasy and supernatural isn't real but what really gets under my skin is the thought of death and what happens then, it's freaking scary when I think about it. Whats on the other side, what if their wrong, who really knows if there is that tiny light at the end of the tunnel and what if, what if you devote you life to the man upstairs and in the end he slams the gate in your face. Truely scary.

message 19: by Chrissy315 (new)

Chrissy315 Jones | 17 comments I dont like anything to with devil, possession, and exorcism. This really creeps me out. The Omen really scared the crap out of me. LOL

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments well I agree with a lot of you here. I hate clowns.
gory torture I hate too.... movies like Saw,Hostel, the latest chainsaw moive they all creep me out.

I like a really good edge of my seat,hold my guy's arm cause im scared movie. I want to see that Haunting in connecticut movie.

message 21: by J.D. (new)

I sometimes think the horror movies & books that COULD be true are the scariest. I mean that ones that you're reading/watching and thinking "Well, this could never happen", aren't as frightening for me...
I think that is why I'm creeped out by clowns...Although, IT didn't help...LOL

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo Has anyone seen The Messengers? The films nothing special but its got some creepy bits in it

message 23: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Joy wrote: "I sometimes think the horror movies & books that COULD be true are the scariest. I mean that ones that you're reading/watching and thinking "Well, this could never happen", aren't as frightening fo..."

Yeah. Those are the worst for me. Outbreak had me on edge for days, because I have a thing about contagious diseases lol.

Also Cujo. That movie scared me so much when I was younger. I think it got to me more than Poltergeist did.

message 24: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) For my fellow clown fearing people out there, Boo and Amusement are two horror movies with clown scenes in them that will freak you out. Boo is creepy throughout, but Amusement only got to me during the clown scenes.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments Hmmmm...I hate puppets and clowns for sure but mostly what I hate is that terrible sensation when I'm allll alone in my apartment and I'm reading a scary book and my dogs start barking for NO REASON WHAT SO EVER. I get up to look around, completely praying I find a reason for their spastic behavior only to find that nothing is awry. I go back to bed but my dogs' ears are perked up, as if keeping their radar on high alert. I HATE THAT!
Hmmm...no wait. Thinking back...I actually reallllly love that. At least in hind sight. This was a regular thing for me when I was reading the Historian. Good times.

message 26: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Lol Jessica. You just like being scared. So do I, so I can't say anything. Well maybe not always at the time it is happening, but later I will admit that it was fun.

The Historian definitely has some spooky parts that like to creep up on you slowly.

message 27: by J.D. (new)

Something that creeped me out as a kid...was creepy dolls. I saw a movie about a killer doll(not chucky), when I was REALLY young. Anyways, my great grandma had this REALLY old doll named Pamela that looked JUST like the doll from that movie. When my Great grandma died, guess who inherited the doll? Lucky, me! LOL It creeped me out. I used to keep it in my closet. One day my Dad decided to throw out all my old toys while I was at school, and he threw pamela out. The only thing about that, that stinks is...pamela was actually a rare doll and was worth money. :(

message 28: by BK (last edited Jul 27, 2009 09:24PM) (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) LOL Joy, I was afraid of dolls too when I was little. It wasn't because of Chucky either, it was because of some movie I had watched about dolls coming to life and killing people. Anyway, one Christmas I got a doll with eyes that followed you around. I don't know WHY someone ever thought that was a good idea for a child's toy.

My mom still likes to tell the story about the time she found that doll locked in my closet, with it's foot cut off. I guess I wanted to make sure it couldn't chase after me, lol.

message 29: by J.D. (new)

BonFire wrote: "LOL Joy, I was afraid of dolls too when I was little. It wasn't because of Chucky either, it was because of some movie I had watched about dolls coming to life and killing people. Anyway, one Chris..."

LMAO!

message 30: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) My cousin had a My Buddy doll, around the time Chucky came out. She used to hide it in her parents room. Maybe she figured it would go after them and not her. Crazy just runs in the family.

..It's probably why my parents didn't want to let me watch Child's Play at first. It's the only time I ever remember them trying to censor what I watched,lol.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments BonFire wrote: "LOL Joy, I was afraid of dolls too when I was little. It wasn't because of Chucky either, it was because of some movie I had watched about dolls coming to life and killing people. Anyway, one Chris..."

HA! So smart of you! I am an older sibling so after my little sis, brother and I watched the puppetmaster I bravely took all their dolls and hid them in my closet so I could "keep an eye on them." I slept with my light on for about a solid month. Now, whenever my siblings tell that story we laugh at how brave we all thought I was...including me. Why didn't I just think to cut their feet off? On the other hand...seeing a puppet come waddling towards me would have probably freaked me out even more. Clearly that would not have happened, but I would have imagined it...
No, I think there is nothing to be done with creepy dolls except give them to someone who is NOT your friend. In case you visit them often.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Lizz wrote: "probably clowns, ever since "It" came out i cant stand them or writers for movies like "Saw" because they have to be totally morbid to come up with all that torture"

I love Saw. I don't know why. Final Destination too. The concept behind the torture and death. Of death itself being a force of its own making. The on screen gore doesn't bother me. The fact that the makers of Saw got their ideas from real historic accounts of torture, that bothers me.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Yes! Its the truly scary things like human nature twisted. That can really happen rather than some made-up creature. Horror novelist sometimes create creatures to represent a terrible, dark place inside of someone's mind to make it seems less of a possibly and more of a fantasy.

message 34: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I named my son Damyon...spelling's different but still named after the Omen. Loved that movie. Creepy kid.
The scariest characters are the ones that crawl/walk at you...like The Grudge chick. She freaks me the hell out!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I agree with you Elvia about those creatures like the lady in The Grudge. But also that girl in The Ring. I was so scared when she came out of the tv. I couldn't sleep for a week.

Joy, I'm with you on the creepy Victorian dolls. I hate those things. They freak me out!

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2009 08:12AM) (new)

I think I have a new scariest after reading Chelsea Cains Heartsick and Sweetheart.
Many compare this serial killer to a female Hannible Lecturn,only worse.Gory and gruesome beyond belief.I think the scariest was finally realizing the victim is as sick or sicker than the killer.And she writes a few chapters in the present then out of the blue throws in a chapter of the torture scenes,until after awile I got the creepiest feeling she was going jump out of a shadow at me.I decided I`ve had more than enough torture scenes and don`t think I`ll get book 3.

message 37: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Joy wrote: "Something that creeped me out as a kid...was creepy dolls. I saw a movie about a killer doll(not chucky), when I was REALLY young. Anyways, my great grandma had this REALLY old doll named Pamela th..."

Was it the Twilight Zone episode about the killer doll (instead of a movie)? That episode I watched in reruns as a kid and it put dolls on my creepy-list for a number of years.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Mawgojzeta wrote: "Joy wrote: "Something that creeped me out as a kid...was creepy dolls. I saw a movie about a killer doll(not chucky), when I was REALLY young. Anyways, my great grandma had this REALLY old doll nam..."

That's a Richard Matheson short story. That Zuni doll is so creeptastic. I'm with you on that one.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Kathy Anne wrote: "I think I have a new scariest after reading Chelsea Cains Heartsick and Sweetheart.
Many compare this serial killer to a female Hannible Lecturn,only worse.Gory and gruesome beyond belief.I think ..."

--Can't handle serial killers. Major ick-inducer for me.

message 40: by Anne (new)

Anne Oh! I forgot about dolls! Brrrrrr!
I'm glad my daughter isn't into those creepy American Girl dolls, yet.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Those Victorian dolls are the creepiest. Barbie dolls don't bother me, but these, ugh!.

message 42: by Anne (new)

Anne Yeah, Barbie dolls are ok. Have you seen those Bratz dolls, though? They don't have feet! I mean they do, but...You change the feet instead of just the shoes. Gross! We have so many of those nasty things floating around our house with little stumps on the end of their legs! Ugh! I hate them!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I don't like the Bratz dolls. I think they perpetuate stereotypes. Okay I know you could argue that about Barbies, but there are lots of diverse Barbies. The Bratz are all from the Hood. Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mind. The not having feet is gross! Who's idea was that.

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne LMAO! I have no idea! I'm guessing it is because the Barbie shoes are so small that they are constantly getting lost. Still, I'd rather step on a shoeless Barbie in the middle of the night than a footless Bratz doll. Freaks me out every time.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) No kidding. That's very creepy.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments I am a coulrophobia. so, vote for It(Stephen King) :D

message 47: by John (new)

John Allen (johnpaulallen) | 33 comments My neighbors. They are the reason I lock my doors at night.

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments As far as horror goes, I'm most afraid of being buried alive. When I read about that, it scares me to death.

message 49: by Leah (new)

Leah | 13 comments Buried alive is horrible, yes I'll go with that. Hauntings and the anticipation of something happening scares me most. For that reason I read very little horror. The Shining did me in years ago.

message 50: by Skena (new)

Skena Megahed | 286 comments spiders :S

« previous 1 3 4