Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Page 46

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (last edited Jul 04, 2009 02:15PM) (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) This is a cool discussion that another of my groups is doing and since this group is the coolest group around, I thought it would be fun to start it here. Here's how it works:

take the realistic fiction book you are reading for this month and open it to page 46. Go five lines down the page and type in as much text as you want to give everyone else a feel for the book you are reading.

It is really neat, and of course has made me add several books to the slopes of Mt. TBR. If you guys like it we can do a "page 46" each month.

message 2: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Cool idea! I like it. Another group I'm in does page 42.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I love this idea. I am past 46 and currently deciding what passage I want to add. Will update soon. As always sis, you are a cut above.

message 4: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Lynne great Idea, I love it :0)

OOh, I get to be the first. Here is mine from Belong to Me A Novel: "We hadn't started out talking about The Women. We'd started out talking about the sorrows I was drowning or, to be more accurate, smothering under some three pounds of carbohydrates, and while the shift from my suburban life to the cattiest catfight film ever made may seem a natural one, it wasn't really, because while that film isn't exactly a flattering depiction of female friendship, it's about female friendship and funny. And my life in suburbia was friendless and dull. At that point, having Joan Crawford snatch my husband, or Rosalind Russell stab me in the back was looking pretty good; at least they snatched and stabbed with aplomb."

message 6: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Glad you like the idea. Here's mine:

"Happily, the worst jobs, such as cleaning the toilets, were the resposibility of one of the elderly maids. But even though I worked as hard as I knew how, I never seemed to make the good impression I hoped to, because my chores every day were more than I could possibly finish; and the problem was made a good deal worse by Granny." - Memoirs of a Geisha

message 7: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha and I was surprised at how well a male author captured the feelings of a woman. I thought this novel was way better then the movie :0), mind you most books are.

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I intentionally have not seen the movie yet. I am enjoying the book so far even though I am only on page 45. Everyone I know who has read it says it is fantastic!

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Jul 05, 2009 12:29PM) (new)

Lauren | 247 comments Here's mine:

"Their wives came to our door daily with whith whole, dripping legs of something not ten minutes dead. Before the great adventure is all over, Father expects his children to eat rhinoceros, I suppose. Antelope is more or less our daily bread. They started bringing us that the very first week. Even once, a monkey." - The Poisonwood Bible

As an aside I really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha, the movie not so much.

Lyn,yours sounds intriguing, I look forward to the review.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lheeney) Fun idea and a great way to get a better feel for the books I might want to read. I skipped ahead a few pages from 46 to a passage I felt gave a little better peek at the book.

"They were hurrying toward him over the cropped grass, while April slowly and heavily brought up the rear, pulling the lawnmower behind her, blowing damp strands of hair away from her eyes with a stuck-out lower lip. Everything about her seemed determined to prove, with a new, flat-footed emphasis, that a sensible middle-class housewife was all she had ever wanted to be and that all she had ever wanted of love was a husband who would get out and cut the grass once in a while, instead of sleeping all day." - Revolutionary Road

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I love this idea!! I think it may be fun to do each month.
I read
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Since pg 46. is the end of the chapter and there were not 5 lines, I started with pg 45.

"Frankie couldn't stay angry, though she was sure Dean was lying about not remembering her. How could she be mad when they were so completely undignified? Magnificently silly. Willing to send themselves up at the slightest opportunity, prostate themselves, admit to frailties. Dean openly mocked himself and acted almost ashamed of his straight-A marks. Alpha wasn't embarrassed that he'd barely made it up the easy course on the rock wall; he sweated on people, and made fun of his own physique. And Matthew- well, she couldn't have been mad at Matthew, anyway.
These guys, they were so sure of their places in life- so deeply confident of their merit and their future- they didn't need any kind of front at all."

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am going to start Matrimony A Novel tomorrow so I figured I would go ahead and post the quote now. I like this... it actually helps me get excited about starting the book.

"As she drove on Julian fell asleep to the rhythm of the car, his nose, his whole face, pressed up against the window. 'Let's go out to dinner,' Mia said. She told him she knew of a good place to eat, elegant but not to elegant; she hated restaurants where the waiter pulled out your seat for you. Julian agreed; fancy restaurants made him uncomfortable."

message 13: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments From page 46 of Savvy by Ingrid Law:

"Stepping inside the open double doors of the church, I had the bad luck of running immediately into Ashley Bing and Emma Flint, both combed and brushed and dressed up pretty for the party. I had hoped I would never have to see either of those girls ever again after leaving Hebron Middle School for the last time. But that day, what I wanted and what I got were two very different things.

Ashley looked from me to Fish to Will Junior, resting her eyes on Will an extra-long time. Maybe it was because I was thirteen now, or because Fish and Will were there next to me, but I felt braver than I'd been at school, and I stood up tall in front of that snotty girl and her rubber-stamp sidekick."

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments From page 46 of The Wednesday Sisters A Novel by Meg Waite Clayton

"By the time I came back to the room with the steaming cup, Brett had gotten Ally to sit up. She was leaning against a pile of pillows, and the light on her nightstand was on now, raising the room fro mthe dreary colorlessness to chalky blue. I handed Brett the tea, discreetly picked up the tissues, added them to the pile in the basket, and sat back down on the end of the bed."

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Luann wrote: "From page 46 of Savvy by Ingrid Law:

"Stepping inside the open double doors of the church, I had the bad luck of running immediately into Ashley Bing and Emma Flint,..."

This one sounds intriguing. I might have to pick it up.

message 16: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Lynne wrote: "This one sounds intriguing. I might have to pick it up."

I liked it a lot! 5 stars! I just posted my review, if you would like to read it.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (uncadrew) | 10 comments "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess:

"'I viddy,' I said. 'I viddy horrorshow.' I knew where he meant - Oldtown, just beyond Victoria Flatblock. Well, the real horrorshow leader knows always when like to give and show generous to his like unders. 'Very good, Georgie,' I said. 'A good thought, and one to be followed. Let us at once itty.' And as we were going out the old baboochkas said: 'We'll say nothing, lads. Been here all the time you have, boys.' So I said: 'Good old girls. Back to buy more in ten minutes.' And so I led mt three droogs out to my doom."

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Jacob Have I Loved - Katherine Paterson

There were tales that Captain Wallace's ghost appeared to chase off intruders. It took me years to figure out that the purpose of the ghost story was to keep young courting couples from wandering down the path to the old Wallace place and taking advantage of the privacy. One day I had talked Call into exploring the house with me, but just as we stepped onto the porch, a huge orange-colored tomcat came shrieking out a broken window at us. It was the only time in our lives that Call outran me.

A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks

"...but the homecoming dance was supposed to be special. Most of the girls bought new dresses and the boys wore suits, and this year we were brining in a photographer to take our pictures. I knew Jamie wasn't going to buy a new dress because she wasn't exactly well-off. Ministering wasn't a profession where you made a lot of money, but of course ministers weren't in it for the monetary gain, they were in it for the long haul, if you know what I mean.

message 20: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Andrew wrote: ""A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess:

"'I viddy,' I said. 'I viddy horrorshow.' I knew where he meant - Oldtown, just beyond Victoria Flatblock. Well, the real horrorshow leader knows alwa..."

I really enjoyed A Clockwork Orange. Once you get used to the Nadsat they speak it just flows.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (uncadrew) | 10 comments Nadsat isn't too hard to understand, especially in context. Of course it helps to be familiar with Slavic languages, but one helpful poster has cited a dictionary of sorts.

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Familiar Scars : "Self respect or virtue doesn't feed you or keep you warm, yet we've sacrificed those things many times to avoid the profession. I would do anything to save Rosalyn from that, even suffer your inabillity to stand my existence."

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments From pg 46 of The 19th Wife A Novel by David Ebershoff

"What first struck Elizabeth was the quality of the man's voice - the hand-bell clarity and the force it acheived without the spectacle of bulging eyes and a throbbing throat. " You won't believe what I tell you, nor because you lack wits, or knowledge, but because it is not easy to believe. But if you can believe this tale, you will know the truth of all things, and your presence in the life after this one will be secure." ....."

message 24: by Tara (last edited Jul 12, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments From Page 46 of The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews

"I put my face close to Min's and told her again that I loved her. I told her what I had told her so many times as kids. You'll be be fine, you'll get better. I promise.
She opened her eyes and looked at me, but she didn't say anything and she didn't smile. I told her I'd be right back. I just wanted to talk to her doctor for a minute. As I walked towards the door I heard her whisper my name, so I went back to her bed and said, Yeah? And she asked me please not to come back."

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm reviving this with a page 46 from one of my humor books for this month. Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore:

"Is there something in the Law about taking your camel off the road to do his business? There should be. If not the Law of Moses, then the Romans should have one. I mean, they won't hesitate to crucify a Jew who rebels, there should be some punishment for messing up their roads. Don't you think? I'm not saying crucifixion, but a good smiting in the mouth or something."

Melissa - That is a great quote! My sis loved that book. I may have to read it some time.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm less than halfway through and I am loving it. It's a bit of a long read, but it's enjoyable.

message 28: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Perfect for our month of humor! Thanks for reviving this, Melissa. I hope we get more funny bits posted here this month.

message 29: by Sara (last edited Dec 04, 2009 06:44AM) (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments pg 46 of The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0

"Wow, sucks to be you," said Josh
"We're the Chosen," said Sam.
"Not for kickball."
"Shut up."
"No, you shut up."
"No, you shut up."
Sam was Josh's best friend and they understood each other, but would Sam know what to do about a murder?

Pg 46 of Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

"Right." I digest this. "So...so what's he like?"
"He's very nice," says Mum, as though she's talking about a sponge cake.
"Is he..." I stop.
I can't ask if he's good-looking. That would be really shallow. And what if she avoids the question and says he has a wonderful sense of humor?
What if he's obese?
Oh God. What if I got to know his beautiful inner soul as we exchanged messages over the Internet, only now I've forgotten all about that and I'll have to pretend his looks don't matter to me?

message 31: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) These are great. I'll post mine soon.

message 32: by Tara (last edited Dec 04, 2009 12:24PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Page 46 of Bobbie Faye's Very by Toni McGee Causey

"Have you always been this cracked?"
"Buddy, this is normal. You don't want to see cracked."
"It's Trevor. You know, for when I am dead and they ask you who you kidnapped."
"You are a real positive thinker there, Trevor"
"It's a little something that I picked up as a result of the female nutcases like you in my life."
"I am not a nutcase."
"So far, you've kidnapped me at gunpoint, you have what sounds like a homicidal friend with a questionable whip fetish doing things to people I am afraid to ask about, and you're threatening a Tennessee Williams play on one poor soul who sounds like he's just trying to help. You're not driving the 'normal' lane today, that's for sure."
"Oh, bite me. Where are the geek boys?"
"I kinda want to hear more about this whip fetish thing, though"

message 33: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments LOL that sounds quite interesting Tara

I agree - It sounds really interesting

message 35: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am only a few chapters in, but it is interesting and really fast paced. We shall see if it can keep the momentum.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 409 comments Page 46 of The Poe Shadow A Novel by Matthew Pearl:

'I rapidly compared the dates in my mind and realized with numbness what it meant. The fire would have been just around the time...the very time Edgar Poe arrived in Baltimore looking for the house of Dr. Brooks.'

The rest you'll have to read for yourselves ;-)

message 37: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Here is my entry from "In God We Trust, All OThers Pay Cash" (not from page 46 though...page 46 wasn't a good representation):

"Crappies are a special breed of Midwestern fish, created by God for the express purpose of surviving in waters that would kill a bubonic plague bacillus. They have never been known to fight, or even faintly struggle. I guess when you're a crappie, you figure it's no use anyway. One fate is as bad as another. They're just down there in the soup. No one quite knows what they eat, if anything, but everyone is fisshing for them. At two o'clock in the morning."

Since I have probably caught about a 1000 Crappies in my life, and eaten about a million, the definitely made me burst out laughing!

message 39: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) It's all in the pronunciation!

message 40: by Cam (last edited Dec 05, 2009 05:06PM) (new)

Cam O.K. This is from page 46 of Florida Road Kill A Novel By Tim Dorsey (sick funny) I read this a little while ago but seeing it's humor month.

"Nigel would have been proud. Leave it to Sharon, she knew her laundry shrinkage. Toward the end, Nigel recalled he had told Sharon that depressing someone's general circulation was as good as wringing their neck. The paramedics arrived too late the next morning and found a stone-stiff Nigel in the tub, with an expression that couldn't quite believe Sharon was killing him with a pair of Levi's 501s."

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Cam, now I want to read it even more!

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I was a little surprised to see that this book was listed under the humor category, but I can see where some of her comments would be considered humorous.

Here is a bit of p. 46 from Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers:

"Cooper was the type of man who not only evinced no compunction about cutting up strangers' family members but happily sliced into his own former patients. He kept in touch with the family doctors of those he had operated on and, upon hearing of their passing, commissioned his resurrectionists to unearth them so that hemight have a look at how his handiwork had held up."

message 43: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Page 46 from "The Luck of the Bodkins" by P.G.Wodehouse (one of my favorite authors of all time):

A voice spoke behind him, "I say, do you happen to know how to spell 'inexplicable'?

Mr. Lewellyn' physique was such as to make it impossible for him, whatever the provocation, to turn like a flash, but he turned as much like a flash as was in the power of a man whose waistline had disappeared in the year 1912. And having done so he uttered a faint, mouselike squeak and set goggling.

It was the sinister stranger of the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes.

At this moment, the door opened and Gertrude Butterwick walked in...."

message 44: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Dec 21, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

From The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Page 46: "Strange things are happening," Buttercup's parents said, and off they went too, bringing up the rear of the cow-feeding trip, watching the Count, who was watching Buttercup, who was watching the Countess.
Who was watching Westley.

message 45: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 174 comments First time I have found something on a page 46 that wasn't boring: from The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga.
Page 46: "Here's a strange fact: murder a man, and you feel responsible for his life-possessive, even. You know more about him than his father and mother; they knew his foetus, but you know his corpse. Only you can complete the story of his life; only you know why his body has to be pushed into the fire before its time, and why his toes curl up and fight for another hour on earth."