The Other Place - A Bartimaeus Trilogy Fan Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) Hello everyone ;> If you have joined, this is the place that you can say hi to fellow bartimaeus fans, and help popularize this book a wee bit more.

Let me start. I'm Zeppelin. Currently 17 years old (nearly legal, babeh) and enjoy mmorpgs, reading, and funnies.

message 2: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 64 comments Mod
hi! im siareen and i just finished the third book a few weeks ago!!!!!!

message 3: by Pandy (last edited Oct 11, 2009 11:48AM) (new)

Pandy Hi everybody. I love the Bartimaues Trilogy and I was surprised when there wasn't a single group about it when I first looked. Anyway, I've been reading the books over periodically since they've been released and it never gets boring. :)

message 4: by Siareen (new)

does anyone want to roleplay?

message 5: by Bridget Hooks (new)

Bridget Hooks | 1 comments not sure about the roleplay but i love the books as well. I met Johnathan Stroud at a booksigning in St. Louis earlier this year and he seemed like a great guy. Didnt seem bigheaded or anything, actually very humble. There was so much i wanted to say and ask him but i kinda froze up and forgot a lot of my questions. He was promoting his new book Heroes of the Valley, which I actually have signed but havent read, go figure.

message 6: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) Oh, I thought this group was dead o_o

message 7: by Siareen (new)

everyone started joining after i joined... lol...

and thats why i like authors more then other celebraties- their work is still appreciated but it doesnt get to their head, so they dont become drug addicts etc.

and i thought it might be a cool idea to rp as magicians with deamons and such...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Lauren and I love this series! It needs to be waay more popular! I have read Heroes of the Valley, which has his characteristic sense of humor (but more subtle) but in no way compares to the Bartimaeus trilogy.
Did you know he's writing a prequel? That means Faquarl and Jabor :D Can't wait!
I'm pretty sure they're making a movie, too...
I agree. Authors are just better all around.

message 9: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) Agreed agreed. I haven't gotten my hands on Heroes of the Valley yet- I should.

I had no idea about the prequel, but I am definitely going to follow it ;>

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments oh it's a prequel? i knew there was going to be a new book but i didn't know that. i'm so excited!!!! if you don't know about it there's this website: http://www.bartimaeusbooks.com/ that has a lot of stuff about the books and a journal by jonathon stroud.

i'm lucy by the way. the bartimaeus trilogy books are my favorites by far

message 11: by Siareen (new)

yay!!!!! cant wait for the prequel!!!! when is it supposed to be out?!!?!?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

2010, I think...

message 13: by Siareen (new)

cool!!!!!!!!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I know!!!!! Faquarl and Bartimaeus (and Honorius) are some of the best characters ever! AND now we get more of Faquarl!!

message 15: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments do you think ptolemy will be in it?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

No idea. I would think so, but then I wonder...

message 17: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments Yeah, he already told his story. But i still think it would be good to have him in there

message 18: by Siareen (new)

ya...
too bad kitty wont be in it. i liked her

message 19: by Gelina ciriacruz (new)

Gelina ciriacruz hi Im Gelina I just finished the 3rd book this morning :)

(still in shock, Nat had to die?) lol.

message 20: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments I know, completely unexpected right?
I'm just glad Bartimaeus didn't die

message 21: by Gelina ciriacruz (new)

Gelina ciriacruz yes but I hope it wasn't just a 3book series. can't wait for the prequel book.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Aaah! I was so angry when I finished Ptolemy's Gate! (Warning: *SPOILERS*) I waited through THREE books watching Bartimaeus try to salvage some goodness from our increasingly retarded dear old Natty-boy, only to have the stupid kid DIE once he finally regained a spark of human decency! Where is the justice?!! *sigh* Still, it's one of my favorite series'. Jonathan Stroud did an amazing job. I got sucked in and couldn't let go until the finish. I always assumed that the series was complete, though... I mean, after all, it's called "The Bartimaeus Trilogy." Does anyone know what the prequel is going to be called? (I didn't even know the possibility of a prequel existed, so...)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

It's going to be called The Ring of Solomon and it comes out in November

message 24: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments yay! i've been waiting for a new one for so long

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

You can preorder it on Amazon for around $12

message 26: by Siareen (new)

lol sarah. but so true. i kinda feel sorry for nat. with the whole thing with the deamons in the office when he was five... but bartimaeus is still my favorite cahracter, through and through. i love the wisecrack comments he has about everything...

message 27: by Gelina ciriacruz (new)

Gelina ciriacruz i wonder how it feels to be in the "Other World" ;)

message 28: by Siareen (new)

i wonder how it feels to have as much power as a deamon, and still have to listen to human magicians who think they know so much!!!! XD

message 29: by TheDigressiveApproach (last edited Jun 04, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

TheDigressiveApproach Venny here people.... and I luuuvv Bartimaeus's ego!!!!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

:D Yes! Nathaniel's arrogance isn't nearly as entertaining as Bartimaeus's. (N's is usually just annnoying. XD)

TheDigressiveApproach But he's kick-butt too u know :D

And N is probably my fav ever anti-hero from books...apart from Artemis Fowl of course

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

lol Artemis Fowl is smarter :D But I love how Nathaniel is the definition of an antihero, and how he's true to character to the very end. Artemis Fowl goes through a lot more development - he's more used to learning, I suppose...and he has more books to do it in, and he started off as more of a villain - until he saw firsthand the damage he caused. Then he toned it down a bit :D He's cooler, but Nathaniel is awesome too. (lol: in short, I agree with you.)

message 34: by Napoleon (last edited Jul 27, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Napoleon (Npoleon) | 4 comments hey guys!i'm Napoleon(13 years old) and i finished the 3rd book this morning!
i've read the first book twice ... i finished the 3rd book and around 2 hours later i thought about rereading it all..but i just ended up rereading the last 50 pages

message 35: by Napoleon (new)

Napoleon (Npoleon) | 4 comments well i think that nathaniel should have survived...

message 36: by Siareen (new)

ya. it came as such a shock when he died!!!!! i was posative he would come back to life1!!!! or that bartamius would save him!!!!!

TheDigressiveApproach I didnt want him to die yes but I at least wanted to see some change in the world after his death...but that would sort of have ruined the political theme that Stroud has created about the magicians...as in even though so many people died including N - nothing changed despite all of that...

Anyways hi Napoleon!

message 38: by Napoleon (new)

Napoleon (Npoleon) | 4 comments by the way...I saw a girl yesterday that was exactly the same as Kitty!!

TheDigressiveApproach Black hair and all that?

There are millions of girl out there that look like Kitty

message 40: by Siareen (new)

i luv kitty!!! my favorite charrie in teh whole serise!!!! except for bartemius of course

message 41: by Napoleon (new)

Napoleon (Npoleon) | 4 comments well i know that there are lots of girls like her...but she was exactly as i imagined her to be!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Well then, don't read the rest of these posts . . . That would have detrimental effects on your reading enjoyment, considering that during the course of this conversations we have given away a LOT of the plot.

message 43: by TheDigressiveApproach (last edited Aug 09, 2010 05:18AM) (new)

TheDigressiveApproach yeah Sarah's right

message 44: by Siareen (new)

yup. but enjoy the books before teh ending spoils them!!!
jk, it only kinda spoils them... :)

TheDigressiveApproach don't spoil it for her!

message 46: by Siareen (new)

dont worry. i wasnt planning on it!

message 47: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments *Ursala don't read this*
I liked the ending. I thought it went well with everything Bartimaeus had said about what happened to all the other cities ruled by magicians. You can't always have the happiest endings.
I was just happy that Bartimaeus survived :)

TheDigressiveApproach yeah I agree but it's pretty sad that nothing changed after N died

message 49: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (musicallucy24) | 7 comments well the world was saved

TheDigressiveApproach yeah but the politics were still the same as ever

« previous 1 3