Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Vanessa Kelly
This topic is about Vanessa Kelly
Monthly Read > 1/29/14--A Visit from Vanessa Kelly!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (Manda_Collins) | 1666 comments Mod
Hi all! I'm so excited to announce that Vanessa Kelly, the author of our monthly read Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard will be here Wednesday, January 29 to chat and answer your questions!

Go ahead and start asking away here and she'll be here officially later in the week!

Cheers,
Manda

message 2: by Ki (new)

Ki (kazamei) | 143 comments Yay!!! Thanks Manda!

Welcome Vanessa!
Question:

You talked about doing a lot of research to keep the historical facts as close to its accuracy as possible. Was it hard working around all the known info or did you just winged it and had fun? And what was fun or an interesting fact you found during your research?

Thanks for visiting us!

message 3: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 345 comments Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for joining us today! I love the premise of this series, with “Royal” children finding happiness despite the actions of their sires or their families. Having just finished Aden’s story and eagerly awaiting Griffin’s, how many more cousins or half-siblings are waiting to have their stories told? Will you switch things up in a later story with the heroine being the natural child instead of it being all the heroes?

Also, any hints about Dominic's story yet or do I have to be patient until November? I really want to see him happy after how things ended in the novella and knowing that his heart has been lost ever since.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Hi, Vanessa--so glad to chat with you today! I have a series question for you, after seeing a picture on FB of the amazing plot board (yes, AMAZING) you created for the next Renegade Royals book. How much of the series as a whole did you plan in advance, especially with Dominic as a part of several stories?

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (JulieDuffy) | 4 comments Hi Vanessa, I'd like to ask you if you'll be writing any additional story's to this wonderful series.

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Manda wrote: "Hi all! I'm so excited to announce that Vanessa Kelly, the author of our monthly read Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard will be here Wednesday, January 29 to chat and answer yo..."

Hi Manda and all you lovely readers! Thanks for having me here today, and I hope you enjoyed SECRETS FOR SEDUCING A ROYAL BODYGUARD. I also wanted to mention that I'll give away an ARC of CONFESSIONS OF A ROYAL BRIDEGROOM, book two in my new series, to one person who comments.

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Ki wrote: "Yay!!! Thanks Manda!

Welcome Vanessa!
Question:

You talked about doing a lot of research to keep the historical facts as close to its accuracy as possible. Was it hard working around all the know..."

Hi, Ki! I definitely did not wing it as much with this new series, since the heroes are the fictional children of real life personages. So I had to make sure that the fictional biographies matched up with the real biographies and timelines. It wouldn't do for my hero to be born in London in 1787, for instance, if his father had been living in Germany for several years. That was, in fact, the case with the sons of George III, who were all sent off to spend several years with their Hanoverian relatives for their military training.

One very interesting fact was finding out what rakes the real royal princes were. Among them, they probably had over 21 illegitimate children!

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Phoenix77 wrote: "Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for joining us today! I love the premise of this series, with “Royal” children finding happiness despite the actions of their sires or their families. Having just finished Ade..."

Hi Phoenix! I'm so happy you're looking forward to Griffin's story - he's been one of my favorite heroes to write. For the first 4 books in the series, it's the guys who are the bastard children. I'm hoping the series does well, because I'd love to write books with Renegade Royal heroines.

I don't want to say too much about Dominic's story at this point, since it would contain spoilers from Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom. Suffice it to say that certain things about Dominic and his lost love will be made clear in Confessions. And poor Dominic will definitely get his happy ending!

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (ETyra) | 2 comments yay!

message 10: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I love your books! I know you collaborate with your husband with your contemporary books. Does he help with research, ideas, writers block, etc. with your historicals?

Mary - Buried Under Romance  (BUR2012) | 12 comments I love your books, Vanessa :)

I've been really interested in how Griffin grew up after Claire birthed him and seemingly disappeared (as far as I know from Lost in a Royal Kiss). :)

message 12: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Theresa wrote: "Hi, Vanessa--so glad to chat with you today! I have a series question for you, after seeing a picture on FB of the amazing plot board (yes, AMAZING) you created for the next Renegade Royals book. H..."

Hi, Theresa! Thanks for joining in on the fun. You know how much I LOVE your books!

My editor and I had quite a few discussions about the series concept, including how Dominic, as the leader of The Renegade Royals, fit in. In fact, it was editor's suggestion to start Dominic's story in the introductory novella to the series, have it play out through books one and two, and then conclude in the second digital novella. That's where most of our focus was, at least in the beginning. I'm now doing quite a bit of work on the concept and storylines for books 3 and 4, since they introduce entirely new heroes to the series. Dominic, Aden, and their wives, however, will continue to make appearances in these later books.

message 13: by Martina (new)

Martina (MartinaChees) | 1 comments Hello to both of you!

I was wondering, how much time do you spend on research for your books? And do you keep to the historical facts you discover or do you just use them as an inspiration?

Oh, one more. In which historical period would you like to live and why!

Thnx!

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Julie wrote: "Hi Vanessa, I'd like to ask you if you'll be writing any additional story's to this wonderful series."

Hi, Julie! Yes, there are two more books after Dominic's story is released in November. Book 3 will be out in January of 2015, and book 4 in July, 2015. There might be a few more after that, too!

message 15: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Elaine wrote: "yay!"

Hi, Elaine!

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Ora wrote: "I love your books! I know you collaborate with your husband with your contemporary books. Does he help with research, ideas, writers block, etc. with your historicals?"

Hi, Ora! Thank you so much! Yes, Randy is a great help with my historical books, too, both in terms of plot ideas and helping me with research. He's a real plot whisperer. I tend to get all wound up in historical details and problems, and hubby has a knack for cutting through that. He's also my critique partner and is really good at editing. Life would be much harder without him - on many levels!

message 17: by Kimberly Rocha~ (new)

Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks (KimberlyRochaBookObsessedChicks) | 1 comments Hi Vanessa!
I am a huge fan girl of yours now that I have read
Lost in a Royal Kiss and Secrets For Seducing a Royal Bodyguard. Brilliant.. Such awesome insight... Who is your favorite character o from the books so far?

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Mary wrote: "I love your books, Vanessa :)

I've been really interested in how Griffin grew up after Claire birthed him and seemingly disappeared (as far as I know from Lost in a Royal Kiss). :)"

Thank you, Mary! Griffin had a tough life; he was separated from his mother at birth, and raised by a very strict and unloving great-uncle. At age 14, after his uncle died, Griffin ran away to London to look for his mother. He ended up living on the streets for a while, until he found work and clawed his way up to his present status. There will be LOTS more detail on his background in CONFESSIONS OF A ROYAL BRIDEGROOM. But there's a reason he's so tough--he had to be to survive!

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Martina wrote: "Hello to both of you!

I was wondering, how much time do you spend on research for your books? And do you keep to the historical facts you discover or do you just use them as an inspiration?

Oh, ..."

Hi, Martina! Some books seem to require more research than others--right now I'm starting to work on book 3 in the series, and I can't seem to get out of my research head! My research certainly does inspire me, but I also use specific details to drive the plot or add color to a scene. It's often the little things that hang you up. I've spent half the afternoon today trying to nail down a number of details about the battle of Waterloo. I have to admit it's making me a little crazy!

Theresa wrote: "Hi, Vanessa--so glad to chat with you today! I have a series question for you, after seeing a picture on FB of the amazing plot board (yes, AMAZING) you created for the next Renegade Royals book. H..."

Hi, Theresa! Thanks for joining in on the fun. You know how much I LOVE your books!

My editor and I had quite a few discussions about the series concept, including how Dominic, as the leader of The Renegade Royals, fit in. In fact, it was editor's suggestion to start Dominic's story in the introductory novella to the series, have it play out through books one and two, and then conclude in the second digital novella. That's where most of our focus was, at least in the beginning. I'm now doing quite a bit of work on the concept and storylines for books 3 and 4, since they introduce entirely new heroes to the series. Dominic, Aden, and their wives, however, will continue to make appearances in these later books.

message 20: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Kimberly Rocha~ wrote: "Hi Vanessa!
I am a huge fan girl of yours now that I have read
Lost in a Royal Kiss and Secrets For Seducing a Royal Bodyguard. Brilliant.. Such awesome insight... Who is your favorite character o..."

Kimberly, what a wonderful compliment - thank you! I think my favorite character in these first two stories is Vivien. I love that she's a bit wacky, with an off-beat sense of humor, but she's also smart and very brave. She has a spirit that just doesn't quit. Of course, Griffin is fun, too. He was very entertaining to work on.

message 21: by Kimia (new)

Kimia Safavi | 2 comments Hi Dear Vanessa
I was wondering if "lost in a royal kiss" will come in paper back in future? Thank you Dear Vanessa
your fan Kimia

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Kimia wrote: "Hi Dear Vanessa
I was wondering if "lost in a royal kiss" will come in paper back in future? Thank you Dear Vanessa
your fan Kimia"

Hi, Kimia! Yes, Lost in a Royal Kiss will come out as additional material at the back of CONFESSIONS OF A ROYAL BRIDEGROOM. The entire novella will be included. Pretty cool, eh?

message 23: by Kimia (new)

Kimia Safavi | 2 comments Vanessa wrote: "Kimia wrote: "Hi Dear Vanessa
your fan Kimia"

Hi, Kimia! Yes, Lost in a Royal Kiss will come ou..."

Wonderful! Can't wait to read another fabulous by you.

message 24: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (sherylnyary) | 1 comments Hi Vanessa. I actually have two questions for you. The first is do you find time to read anything yourself and if you do, do you have a favorite genre to read? Also, do you find it hard to switch between writing historical to contemporary?

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Sheryl wrote: "Hi Vanessa. I actually have two questions for you. The first is do you find time to read anything yourself and if you do, do you have a favorite genre to read? Also, do you find it hard to switch b..."

Hi Sheryl! I must admit that I don't have nearly as much time to read for pleasure as I used to. But I do read every night before I go to bed! My favorite genre right now is historical mystery. I've always loved mystery, and combining that with historicals is just about perfect for me.

Yes, I do find it hard to switch back and forth between genres. I try to focus on one genre at a time, and arrange my schedule so I can do that.

message 26: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Kimia wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Kimia wrote: "Hi Dear Vanessa
your fan Kimia"

Hi, Kimia! Yes, Lost in a Royal K..."

Thanks, Kimia!

message 27: by Manda (last edited Jan 29, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

Manda Collins (Manda_Collins) | 1666 comments Mod
Hi Vanessa! Looks like you've been well taken care of! Thanks so much for dropping by!

message 28: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Manda wrote: "Hi Vanessa! Looks like you've been well taken care of! Thanks so much for dropping by!"

Thanks for having me on, Manda! I'll be sure to stop by later tonight and check for any other questions. I'll let you know who wins the ARC of CONFESSIONS OR A ROYAL BRIDEGROOM!

message 29: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Kelly (VanessaKelly) | 16 comments Martina wrote: "Hello to both of you!

Oh, ..."

Martina, I missed your second question! I must admit that I'm a bit of a wimp, and I don't really wish to live in any other time period than our own. I'd miss the mod cons and modern medicine too much! But I would very much like to visit Regency and Victorian England, and ancient Rome and Egypt.