Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

This Land Was Made for You and Me: The Life and Songs of Woody Guthrie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (TRMite) any one else fall in love with this booK?

message 2: by Lea (new)

Lea | 4 comments This raises a question that maybe someone can answer. The other day someone told me that, at the concert before the inauguration, when Pete Seeger sang "This Land is Your Land" he added lyrics to it. I thought that what he sang was in fact the original song, in its entirety, not that he had added anything to it but that we don't usually hear it all. Does anyone know about it one way or the other?

message 3: by Sari Lynn (new)

Sari Lynn According to truthout.org (http://www.truthout.org/011909R) the lyrics that Seeger sang were the original ones written by Guthrie:

But sly old Pete, who actually hoboed with Woody during the Depression and Dust Bowl, had the crowd sing the song as it was actually written, as not only a celebration of this great land, but as a demand for workers' and people's rights. That is, he restored the verses that have been censored from the song over the years to make it less political:

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

The "relief office," of course, refers to the ad hoc soup bowls and such set up during the Depression before the New Deal began to get the social security net we have all depended upon since the 1930s in place.

message 4: by Lea (new)

Lea | 4 comments Sari Lynn wrote: "According to truthout.org (http://www.truthout.org/011909R) the lyrics that Seeger sang were the original ones written by Guthrie:i>
Thanks Sari Lynn!

message 5: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiebennett) | 1 comments I read and loved Bound for Glory, his autobiography. I'm definitely going to have to get this book.