Book Haven discussion

Witches > Witches from novels vs. Wiccans

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (last edited Jul 03, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I'm curious...

What do you think are the main differences between the two?
Would you find a novel about a wiccan as interesting, as one about fantasy witches?

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I would say the fictional witches are more exaggerated as far as abilities go, and also the non-spiritual aspect of most of the witches like characters that I have read about.

I would find them both interesting to read, I'll read anything but I enjoy reading about other lifestyles or what others would consider occult.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Aren't fantasy witches like what movies portray as "bad"? I know a Wiccan witch and can tell you she's not bad in any sense.

When reading a series featuring Wiccan witches I felt like I was reading about real woman with a respect for themselves and their world and they saw it. I loved it more than if I was to read about what I have seen on TV so far.

message 4: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "Aren't fantasy witches like what movies portray as "bad"? I know a Wiccan witch and can tell you she's not bad in any sense.

When reading a series featuring Wiccan witches I felt like I was readi..."

I personally like both. I find the wiccan religion fasinating, but I also love fantasy witches... :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I haven't read any books (that I can recall) fea. fantasy witches that I liked. So I will have to find some and compare =D.

message 6: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "I haven't read any books (that I can recall) fea. fantasy witches that I liked. So I will have to find some and compare =D. "

I have a shelf on my profile called witch/magic. Some of the books on that shelf feature witches...

Wit'ch Fire was an awesome book with a witch. A different kind of witch...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Oh cool! I didn't think of that. I will check out ur shelf then. Most of the paranormal I have read fea. shifters, vamps and demons.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Kenjii wrote: "Oh cool! I didn't think of that. I will check out ur shelf then. Most of the paranormal I have read fea. shifters, vamps and demons. "

I like all of that stuff too! :)

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments How does the religion of a character inform your opinion of that character? Wicca, Christianity, Judaism, Islam? How does it make a difference in the story?

If there is a mention of the character's religion just to make things seem cooler or edgier, what's the point?

But to get closer to the original question: Fantasy witches are far more interesting, IMHO.

message 10: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Actually witches aren't necessarily Wiccans, lol. It's a little hard to explain. Witchcraft is just a way of practicing a religion, Wicca is a religion. There are Wiccan witches, but there are also other Pagan and non-Pagan witches. Pagan is basically an umbrella term for most non-christian religions. Like Christianity encompasses Catholics, Baptists, etc. There are even Christian witches.

And yes, Wiccans aren't generally bad. A common motto in Wicca is "An ye harm none, do what ye will". Which means as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, do what you want.

I generally think it's cute to see or read about a fantasy witch, unless it's being used to portray Wicca or another religion in a negative, false light.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to preach or anything, It's a common misconception, and I just thought I would explain since you guys seem genuinely interested. I feel it's my duty to educate since a few of my close friends are Pagan, and one is a Wiccan. lol

message 11: by J.D. (new)

stormhawk wrote: "How does the religion of a character inform your opinion of that character? Wicca, Christianity, Judaism, Islam? How does it make a difference in the story?

If there is a mention of the character..."

In the past, I read a few books that involved the Wiccans and they were genuinely interesting books...However, I think an author can do much more with Fantasy witches...

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user stormhawk wrote: "How does the religion of a character inform your opinion of that character? Wicca, Christianity, Judaism, Islam? How does it make a difference in the story?

If there is a mention of the character..."

I agree with stormhawk. And the religion of a character will inevitably inform your opinion of that character, depending upon your preconceptions.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic When reading I tend to let the author craft the world. If there is a religious tilt I let my mind drift into what the author thinks of it. Otherwise I'd be damned offended if the author (ie my fave horror author Brian Keene) cursed religion or said the character was non-religious. There is a purpose to everything when you let the characters speak for themselves. Good question.

message 14: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 778 comments The only book I can immediately recall that had a witch in it was called Witch Cat. My mom bought it for me in 2nd or 3rd grade. It was a fairly long story but had beautiful pictures in it. I should still have it packed away somewhere but I don't remember the story. I do remember somebody from the church we went to told my mom she should not allow me to read such a thing, though!

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 778 comments Oh I lied. I like the Witches in Discworld. They're awesome and I totally be one if I could.

message 16: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I am a pagan witch (not Wiccan) and have always found both quite enjoyable (fantasy and real) in most books. I even really like the bad fantasy witches. When I was younger, most of the Wiccans I knew would get quite offended by any representation of a witch that was fantastical. As they got older, most of them got over that.

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I was a Wiccan for many years (I'm a Druid now) and I can tell you, I only wish that I was able to have the abilities that the fictional Witches and Wiccans have!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am studying Pagan and wicca whilst i chose which path to follow, I think how ever a noval about real withches that doesn't glamourised their abilities, could be good.

message 19: by Adva (last edited Aug 10, 2011 12:23AM) (new)

Adva (advak) I'd read both, though my only literary experience is with fantasy witches novels.

However, if someone does delve into Wicca (or any other religion, as a matter of fact), it has to be well researched, even if they pull towards fantasy. I hate reading a book and thinking "this so should have been researched better" (thinking "you really should have thought it through" is also a pet peeve of mine, but not strictly religion related).

Unless the religion actually matters - in story line or character development - I think mentioning it would be just useless. I've stumbled upon novels who threw in religion as a way to stereotype a character, and hated every bit of it.

Also, if an author has very strong feelings towards a certain religion (positive or negative), it's not something I really enjoy reading. I hate when books preach to me, and hate even worse when books use religion as a way to cross-out a character. However, characters can have superstitions and such like opinions, as long as the book doesn't reek of 'this is the author's opinion, what's bad is bad, what's good is good'.

And I think, I diverted a little from the subject :p.

Anyway, yay for well-researched Wicca books.

message 20: by angela (new)

angela (ana-rose13) | 43 comments I am wiccan and I have to agree that its pretty funny to read the different views authors come up with to put wicca, witchcraft, and paganism in a negative light. sometimes its offending but I have to remind myself, its just a book. though there is probably someone behind it that believes what they are writing, the words would only hurt if I let them. there for everything is kinda in a positive light even if its a negative character. I love to compare it to my every day and it really shows what authors have done their research.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) I'm an eclectic Pagan, I have studied various paths, & incorporate what speaks to me into my own path. I would dearly love to have the abilities that witches in the books have, but in reality it just doesn't work that way. But I think it's fun to read about them anyway :) My favorite witch series is the Kim Harrison series. Sure, it's way over the top, but she does incorporate the actual work that goes into magic because her main character Rachel is an earth witch. And, of course, I'd love to have a family of pixies taking care of my yard! LOL

message 22: by James (new)

James Loftus If anyone is interested in a witchcraft book, here is mine.

http://youtu.be/ggy-p6VtPrs