Any Daphne Du Maurier fans out there? discussion

D du M's books > The Parasites

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments This one just arrived yesterday, but not sure when I'll get to it. It's about siblings who thrive on living off of each other - parasites. I ordered a used hardback as I like those better for reading ease but this puppy is so old the copyright date is in the old latin style MCMXLIX.

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat | 17 comments I'll be starting this one tomorrow. Mine is dated 1950 First (American) Edition. I think this may be her first novel.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I wish I could read along with you but the library holds have taken over. First novel with The Loving Spirit back in the 30's I think.

message 4: by Pat (last edited Jul 20, 2009 10:26PM) (new)

Pat | 17 comments Yes, I see now that the book list on the inside was the most current first. Have you read her earlier books yet? They may be more difficult to find.

Just checked and Abebooks has plenty of used copies of all her books. I'm sure you have already checked it out and know this already. Thanks for the info about her website.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I think I've read them all except for the short stories, Rule Brittania (which I'm going to skip, see Amazon review by CoffeeGurl) and a reread of Rebecca which I'm saving for last.

The Loving Spirit is more of a family saga/story ongoing over several generations. I'll Never be Young again is more phsycological/character driven. I enjoyed it, but Bettie hated it. Julius is just flat out unbelievably different. A wholly unredeemable character. Hard to believe she could write someone like that at such a young age.

I've been lucky, the only one I've had to buy so far is The Parasites. I could have gone for an ILL, but I won't waste the county's resources for $1 books.

You must get your hands of The King's General. Loved that one.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura King´s General is my next one!! By the way, I got the old movies "Rebecca" and "Jamaica Inn", no way to find "My Cousin Rachel", pity...

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments pity party :)

Check out the dumaurier.org website - you can look at some video clips and I know MCR is on the list.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura I saw those video clips but I really want to get My Cousin Rachel in movies, I don´t know how...and probably I won´t find as DVD, snif snif snif

message 9: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Laura wrote: "I saw those video clips but I really want to get My Cousin Rachel in movies, I don´t know how...and probably I won´t find as DVD, snif snif snif"

If you don't mind being a pirate I have found a download:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1428016

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura terrific!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Thanks as well, but don't delete this until I get home and can download it there.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura LOL!!! I have added to my bookmark, just in case....

message 13: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Misfit wrote: "Thanks as well, but don't delete this until I get home and can download it there. "

Tough day?

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Boring day. Not a good idea to use the work PC to download a movie. Besides, it really slows down the network and everyone else.

message 15: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Misfit wrote: "Boring day. Not a good idea to use the work PC to download a movie. Besides, it really slows down the network and everyone else. "

hahaha - yes, best not to use work space or get sacked for trying to do so.

message 16: by Pat (new)

Pat | 17 comments "The Parasites" is not what I expected of a du Maurier novel, but I liked it very much. It's a story of a dysfunctional artistic family of five who experience success, tragedy and sadness but with a touch of hilarity that helped keep it balanced. After the 3 grown children are accused of being parasites; feeding off one another, they spend the day reminiscing about their growing up years and determining if this allegation could be true.
Her characters seemed so real to me in their spoken word, thoughts and deeds, that I have to wonder if Daphne was writing from her own experiences.
Has anyone else read this one?

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Not yet, but it's in the near future as soon as I catch up on the library stack. If I'm not mistaken she might have drawn some of that book from her own real life experiences with her family. I think I've heard that mentioned.

If you want not your usual Du Maurier try to get a copy of Julius. Unbelievable that a very young Daphne could write such an unbelievably bad and wholly unredeemable character.

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Oh Julius is a dark depressing tale. It just amazed me that a 23 year old could have dreamed something like that up.

I'd love to see the Burton movie of My Cousin Rachel, last I looked it is listed on Amazon but not one to be purchased anywhere.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura I managed to download this movie but my HD crashed before I managed to make a back-up.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Pat wrote: ""The Parasites" is not what I expected of a du Maurier novel, but I liked it very much. It's a story of a dysfunctional artistic family of five who experience success, tragedy and sadness but with..."

Yes, I read and own this one. I also believe she was writing about herself and her siblings.

message 21: by A.G. Lake (new)

A.G. Lake My Year of Reading du Maurier
Just finished reading this book The Parasites as an iBook, because the copy I bought was made in like 1979, forty years ago and the glue of the binding crumbled out at the turn of every single page; thus book repurchased and read as iBook.
Again five stars from this reader. I think I’ve hunkered down to be a big fan of DDM, not only of her works but also of her life! Will let you know if there’s any writing of hers that I don’t like.
In this book DDM described five or more members of what we would call today a reconstituted family, which probably is the norm these days, although I have no statistical data to support this opinion of mine.
The great natural psychologist, dare I say psychoanalyst, that DDM was, she wrote up very skillfully how wounded, wounded to what extent, people can get to be from all their intimate, personal relationships. And she described how the invisible wounds could carry on throughout people’s lives in such subtle ways that often only good, caring shrinks could decipher the strains and wounds in the minds and essences and souls of people.
Because just because the bigger society says things are okay, does not necessarily make things a-okay in our human psycho-socio--medico-microcosms.
Thus is my blurb of a review, but the book is great.