This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I Hate Baseball

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

shellyindallas Yawn...
Snooze...

Is this truly America's sport? Because I think it's as much fun as watching paint dry. And by the way, can someone PLEASE explain to me why the Federal Government is involved with whether or not a player uses steroids? I've asked around...no straight answer.

message 2: by Alison (last edited Feb 16, 2008 07:45PM) (new)

Alison I know it's unAmerican, but I, too, hate baseball. Nothing happens. Even my kids tee ball games are boring. I'm sitting there thinking...will somebody call child services on me if I pull out a book and start reading? Definetely would take me out of the running for mother of the year.

Now, soccer, is awesome. And regular football, and basketball. My stomach's all in knots. Stuff happens. Who could read during a soccer game? You can't daydream during basketball...you might actually miss something. And baseball has too many rules that I'm not interested in learning. I'm over it.

Oh, yeah, and the spitting....what's with the spitting?

shellyindallas i saw this simpsons episode once where the aliens were flying around in their spaceship over a baseball game and were like "this is boring", so they used their powers to speed up time and the one kept saying to other "still not fast enough". exactly.

Donald--I know that the gov has better things to do and all that, but seriously--why are they involved? there's gotta be a reason right? they don't have their noses all up in the NFL or NBA. so i guess what i wanna know is what's the connection?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

because steroid use is illegal and the feeling was that the baseball commission and franchises and owners association implicitly endorsed its usage
which is undoubtedly the case
also there is just a ton of money involved and there's got to be some reason congress thought they should start muckin around there
then there's the male factor-sports is religion so they have to get the government involved to validate putting on those little plastic cups and patting each other on the butts and spitting
and the retired aging politico factor-mitchell had to do something and they wanted to make sure he didn't run for president
then there's the "say it ain't so" factor
and the joe dimaggio and marilyn monroe factor
yep, sex, drugs, money, all the biggies are there
cue the greek chorus

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love watching it live. Something about being at the park with a beer and a hot dog, the smell of the peanuts roasting, the crack of the bat, etc. But on TV, snore.

It's even better when my husband's company gives him suite tickets to court a client and I get to tag along. Then the beer and hot dogs are free and the seats are padded.

It can't beat basketball or football though.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I love baseball too, but I had a period of about twenty years when I didn't pay attention that much. Then I moved to Wisconsin and started hanging out with my neighbor who would listen to every Brewers game on the radio in his yard. There is something very cool about listening to baseball on the radio in the yard while drinking a beer and talking with your neighbors. Plus, my kids play now so they've renewed my interest. I like the rhythm...it definitely is slower than any other sport of which I know, except for golf (I will save my hatred for golf for another thread).

No, Allison, I disagree with you, soccer is stupid. Little kid soccer is esp. stupid. The kids just spaz out from side to side...there's no point. I read all the time on the side of my kids' baseball games, though. I love it...you watch when they bat or whatever and read the rest of the time. It's not a bad way to spend a summer evening.

Go Brewers! Go White Sox! Cubs suck!

Servius  Heiner I think the government is evolved because they are not capable to do anything else. So the wingers and the lefties got together and said, "Ok, We agree, you're stupid, were stupid, now lets do something stupid together that way everyone will assume were getting along!" It's called "doublethink"

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ugh, I hate listening to sports on the radio. Even when the Kings were winning and I was obsessed with seeing every game, I still wouldn't listen to the ones I couldn't watch. Tune in every now and then for a score, but that's it.

message 9: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Sarah, you obviously never had the pleasure of hearing Vin Scully call a Dodger game or (*bowing head in respect*) Chick Hearn call a Laker game. Hearn was (and Scully is) a master craftsman.

message 10: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) Baseball bores me too.

message 11: by Bryan (last edited Feb 17, 2008 11:05AM) (new)

Bryan >>Who could read during a soccer game?

Totally. I can't take my eyes off those 1-1 ties. Or those 1-0 blowouts.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, um, Bryan? I hate the Dodgers and the Lakers. Giants and Kings for me.

message 13: by Bryan (new)

Bryan I ain't sayin' you hafta like the teams. I'm talking about the mastery of the play-by-play men.

Oh, yeah, remember game 7 of the Western Conference Finals when the Kings missed 13 shots in a row in the 4th?

Or how about game 6 of the 2002 World Series when the Angels were down 5-0 and you could see the Giants starting to celebrate in the dugout?

Classic moments.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Wait, are you talking about 2002 when Horry scored a three pointer off a rebound and the Lakers won? I don't remember the Kings missing 13 in a row. They were only down by two.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I agree with Bryan here in that classic play by play transcends teams. I don't like the Cubs but I've had respect for their play by play guys over the years. I think play by play is a remarkably hard skill to master; you need to know when to talk, when to shut up, what to describe, what to let go, etc. It's not easy, and hearing someone truly good at it (e.g. Scully) is a privilege.

message 16: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Whoops, my mistake, I shoulda said game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals. When the Kings choked. And, yes, missed 13 shots in a row.

message 17: by Bryan (new)

Bryan This Salon appreciation of Scully is pretty good: http://www.salon.com/people/bc/1999/1...

So's this obituary of Chick Hearn: http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.