Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's June Reads 3/4

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1392 comments 11)Modern Magic by Anne Cordwainer (fantasy) 351 pages. Source: Gift from Marcy Started: 6/13 Finished: 6/14

Why Read: Marcy won this copy in a Goodreads giveaway. She doesn't read fantasy, so she gave it to me. I told her I would review it. I looked at other reviews on GR and decided it might be worthwhile.

Comments: When I started reading this I thought it would be a Harry Potter clone, but I learned otherwise. There are magical families and a technological approach to magic that makes this book more like science fantasy rather than pure fantasy. I loved the Liz Prospero character. She's so indomitable and resourceful. Rating B+

12)Sovay by Celia Rees (YA historical fiction) 404 pages. Source: Library Started: 6/15 Finished: 6/15

Why Read: Celia Rees' books came up on GR as books that people viewed when they looked at A Spell For The Revolution by C. C. Finlay which I read last month. When I went to the library website there was a great deal of Celia Rees. I was most intrigued by this one which is about a 18th century girl who disguised herself as a boy and became a highwayman. It belongs to the swashbuckling genre that I just love.

Comments: I really liked Sovay's devil may care heroism. But I didn't understand why she chose as she did romantically. It didn't seem as much in keeping with her character as other choices would have been. I'm giving this a B.

13)Amazon Ink by Lori Devoti (fantasy) Source: Barnes and Noble Started: 6/15 Finished: 6/16

Why Read: I came across this book during an Amazon search and put it in my cart for later, but then it turned out to be at B&N, so I bought it there and had immediate gratification. It's about modern Amazons in Madison, Wisconsin. The MC is a Amazon tattoo artist.

Comments: The culture building is wonderful. Lori Devoti constructed an Amazon culture partly from ancient Greek myths and partly from her own imagination. The role of magical tattoos in Amazon culture is particularly original. There is a serial killer on the loose who is murdering Amazon teenagers. The MC must find the killer before her own daughter becomes one of the victims. So there is a M/T aspect. The ending is quite a surprise. This is the best book I read in June, and also the best book I've read in the first six months of 2009. Rating A+

14)Shimura Trouble by Sujata Massey (mystery) 242 pages. Source: Library Started: 6/17 Finished: 6/18

Why Read: This is the final volume of the Rei Shimura series. It takes place in Hawaii and deals with a problem that the Shimuras in Hawaii are having. It sounded interesting.

Comments: The Hawaii Shimuras were a disappointment to me. I also don't like the way things ended up for Rei. Rating B-

15)The Diamond King by Patricia Potter (historical romance) 392 pages. Source: Library sale cart Started: 6/18 Finished: 6/19

Why Read: This is the third in a Scottish romance series that takes place around the Battle of Culloden. I absolutely loved the first one, The Black Knave, which is my second favorite Scottish romance. The second book, The Heart Queen, is much more ordinary, but I still want to read this one.

Comments: This is a great deal of fun. The hero is a Jacobite privateer. The heroine was suspected of witchcraft and sent away from Scotland. How do they meet? You'd have to read it to find out. The characters and the plot are delightful if you like a heroine who is as strong as the hero. Rating B+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Shomeret:
Great month! Amazon Ink does look good!

Shomeret wrote: "13)Amazon Ink by Lori Devoti (fantasy) Source: Barnes and Noble Started: 6/15 Finished: 6/16 ..... This is the best book I read in June, and also the best book I've read in the first six months of 2009. Rating A+
"

message 3: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Shomeret said: "The Hawaii Shimuras were a disappointment to me. I also don't like the way things ended up for Rei. Rating B- "

Ah, Shomeret, your enjoyment when you started reading the Rei Shimura books almost interested me in taking them up again. But your disappointment in the last couple are making me reconsider that reconsideration!

Jan O'Cat

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments I picked up Amazon Ink by Lori Devoti at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Should move it up in The Pile!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Amazon Ink (other topics)