Between the Lines discussion

Modern Fiction & Authors > Amitav Ghosh

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) I don't read sagas at all and if Sea of Poppies hadn't been only £2.00 at Heathrow (if you bought a Times) and I needed a book for 13.5 hours of flying I would never have read it. And missed out! It was wonderful apart from the ending which comes just when you want to know more and the other two books of the trilogy haven't been published yet. I don't know if they've even been written. I loved it so much that I bought Glass Palace and enjoyed that very much too.

I might try Hungry Tide now since you enjoyed it.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) I've been looking at Sea of Poppies, debating back and forth, but I think I'm going to read it now.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the end of The Hungry Tide was weak, but that Ghosh's writing was interesting enough that I'll read more at some point.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Shoshanapnw wrote: "I thought the end of The Hungry Tide was weak, but that Ghosh's writing was interesting enough that I'll read more at some point."

I thought that ending of both Sea of Poppies and the Glass Palace was weak. Maybe endings are just not Ghosh's strong point.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) Fiona wrote: "I think I agree that endings are not his strong point, though neither were so bad they ruined it or really stood out point blank as terrible."

I was mega pissed-off at the ending of the Sea of Poppies. That was the first saga I had read in ages and I really got into it and then it just stopped, like at the end of a chapter. There were no conclusions to any of the stories, just finished, just like that. I understand its because its the first book in a trilogy but I don't even know if the other's have been written yet. I also understand that I wouldn't have been so upset if I hadn't enjoyed the book so much!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked The Hungry Tide well enough to give it as a gift, but the action and ending didn't make sufficiently satisfying use of the elements he constructed.

message 7: by Ananya (new)

Ananya (sowmyas) Just started this book (Sea of Poppies) and happened upon this discussion. I hate endings that leave you hanging..although I did enjoy all the other books by Ghosh including 'The Glass Palace' and the 'The Hungry Tide'.

Did not know it was part of a trilogy.