Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > PG Paranormal or Romance suggestions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Hey all! I have an 11 year old daughter who reads at a high level and I have a hard time finding appropriate reading for her. I read lots of YA to kind of screen for content, but I haven't been successful in finding much that I'd let her read. I figured I'd ask everyone else for some PG suggestions. She loves historical fiction and is starting to get into the paranormal. If you know of anything that's not graphic with the sexual relationships I'd love to hear about them!

message 2: by Jackie M (last edited Jul 01, 2009 11:05AM) (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clareis good very PG
The first book is City of Bones

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Have you tried Anna Godbersen's Luxe novels? They're basically a historical Gossip Girl, I think.

message 4: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I second Cassandra Clare's series!
Also, you might want to try some of these...

Anything by
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
L.J. Smith
Paolini, Christopher
Tamora Pierce

Also...
Ranger's Apprentice series-John Flanagan
Codex Alera series-Jim Butcher
Evermore-Alyson Noel
Time series-Caroline B. Cooney

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I've got a nice list going now! Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

message 6: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I haven't read a ton on YA, but have you tried the Blue Blood series by Melissa De La Cruz?

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) A Great and Terrible Beauty- this is part of a series, the last book I'm not so sure about the appropriateness for a 11 year old. The last book contains a mild lesbian kissing scene, but other than that they contain plenty of paranormal activity and it's like a Victorian day Mean Girls.

Anne of Green Gables

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Jackie wrote: "A Great and Terrible Beauty- this is part of a series, the last book I'm not so sure about the appropriateness for a 11 year old. The last book contains a mild lesbian kissing scene, bu..."

I second the Gemma Doyle series. A Great and Terrible Beauty was a great book!

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Jul 29, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Oh I forgot to mention Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Actually anything by this author is tame and is pretty good. Plus, there is a Studio Ghibli film of it (Japanese Anime) that's pretty good.

message 10: by Dalene (new)

Dalene Melissa wrote: "Hey all! I have an 11 year old daughter who reads at a high level and I have a hard time finding appropriate reading for her. I read lots of YA to kind of screen for content, but I haven't been s..."

I know I was just a little older than her when I started reading Victoria Holt. They are a historical romance (very clean).

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments The Uglies series is very good, but is a little bit more Sci Fi than paranormal I would say, but sill an excellent series.

For historical I remember reading around 6th or 7th grade Summer of My German Soldier and finding it very interesting and informative.

Not necessarily romance (it does have one in the story though), but still and AMAZING YA read is The Face on the Milk Carton. I read that book for the first time at the age of 11 or 12 and loved it. I reread it at least 5 times. The second two books that follow in the series are also pretty good, I didn't particularly love the fourth one, but it was nice to have a conclusion to everything.

message 12: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 19, 2009 10:08AM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments The Roman Mysteries (too many books to list) by Caroline Lawrence are excellent...

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Also some of my all time favorite YA books that I remember reading around that age are

P.S. Longer Letter Later

Just as Long as We're Together. I checked this book at from the library multiple times to read over and over. Kind of wish I had a copy for my own personal library.

This Place Has No Atmosphere was also pretty good.

message 14: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) My daughter is 10 yrs old and loved My Sister the Vampire #1 Switched. She can't wait to read the second one.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lisa Anne - It's funny you mentioned Summer of My German Soldier because that is the book my daughter is reading right now! She's only about 1/3 of the way into it, but she's liking it. I've got The Face on the Milk Carton series on her list. Never thought of the Uglies series, so thanks!

Adrienne - I looked up the Roman Mysteries and my library has most of them! We'll be checking them out soon, thanks!

message 16: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments Elvia wrote: "My daughter is 10 yrs old and loved My Sister the Vampire #1 Switched. She can't wait to read the second one. "

Thanks for mentioning this, Elvia. My daughter is 10 also, and this looks like a series she might enjoy.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Melissa wrote: "Lisa Anne - It's funny you mentioned Summer of My German Soldier because that is the book my daughter is reading right now! She's only about 1/3 of the way into it, but she's liking it. I've got ..."

Oh I hope she enjoys it! It's one that I remember very fondly.