Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > July Read - The Tooth Fairy

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Feel free to discuss The Tooth Fairy here. I will also be creating a three topics by breaking the book apart into three sections.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I read it and didn't care for it too much, but am looking forward to discussing it.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I just ordered it and will read it when i get it :)

message 4: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Jo wrote: "I just ordered it and will read it when i get it :)"

Don't expect any horror. There isn't any!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo lol ok. Im quite open minded to books anyway i dont just like horror

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, I wouldn't say there's no horror in it.

message 7: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa wrote: "Well, I wouldn't say there's no horror in it. "

What horror is there in it?

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo Dont give too much away i havent read it yet lol

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Tooth Fairy himself isn't horror? Fangs? Green hair?

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott It's a story about life and growing up with a lurking element of horror. (That's life, innit?)

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments If I could manifest the lurking horror in my remaining years, what would it look like I wonder? Hmm, me thinks something far more terrifying than a short man, smelly man with fangs.

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Sounds like me dad.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Tressa wrote: "The Tooth Fairy himself isn't horror? Fangs? Green hair? "

I agree with the Moana Lisa. The Tooth Fairy creept me out a few times when I was reading it (especially late at night while I was in the middle of nowhere Maine where it can get quite creepy at night) and his/her attitude and presence was quite unnerving.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Jason. I thought maybe I read the wrong book. I don't understand William's comment about no horror in the book. I thought there was quite a bit. The Tooth Fairy, in male or female form, was very menacing and was more than just a figment of the kids' imagination because he/she could physically harm and kill people. Might have been indirectly, but still.

Scott, I like your short explanation of the theme of the book. I think my initial disappointment was only because I was expecting it to be outright horror (maybe that's what William means). But the TF is more of a manifestation of the boys' aging and the things they're dealing with at each stage in their lives.

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo My copy of this book still hasnt come :(

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Jo wrote: "My copy of this book still hasnt come :("

Hopefully you will get it soon.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Yeah i dont know whats taking so long

message 18: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments It was available at my local library. I managed to snatch a copy just like the tooth fairy snatching tooth.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo It came today :) I have to finish the book im reading now which i will probly finish today and then ill start on it

message 20: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikwallace) Finished the book tonight. An interesting ending, not exactly what I expected but overall I liked the book.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott I didn't know he had any short fiction. Is there a collection? I've read five or six of his novels and loved them all.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo I want to read more of his work

Any suggestions?

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott The Stormwatcher is probably my favorite, but it's only available as a limited edition. Maybe Dreamside or Indigo.

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks :)