The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Girl with Dragon Tattoo - No SPoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Discussions are now open. Please do not spoil here.

message 2: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I'm leaving work early and picking up a copy. Can't wait to start!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments I really enjoyed this one, too. The beginning did start a bit slow for me (I get bogged down with anything hinting of finance or numbers), but within a few chapters I was totally enthralled. I can't wait until the next one is released in the U.S.!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments That's true - it is important information and it definitely becomes more interesting as you get to know more of Blomkvist. I thought this book was amazing. Even when it was slow in the very beginning, I still got the sense that I was really going to like it.

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (schaubchick) | 138 comments Going to the beach tomorrow, perfect time to start reading this one!

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments Just borrowed this from the library today. Can't wait to read it!

message 7: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Currently on page 92 of this book. The first 30 pages kind of had me worried, but now I am hooked! I have so much to do today I need to put this book down!!

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 38 comments Have this book on hold at the library. It sounds really interesting so I look forward to reading it.

message 9: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments I'm only at the very beginning (p16 or so), but I love the little reminders that the original audience (and the characters) are not American. A whole list of postmarks and the only one he has to look up is Pensacola, FL.... Awesome.

message 10: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments I checked out the large print version from the library(the only copy they had?!) so even though I'm pg 109 right now I'm only on Ch. 4! Are certain words bolded in your versions and is there a glossary or footnotes as well? I don't have any in this book.

message 11: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) On page 255 and I am LOVING this book...the perfect summer thriller!!

message 12: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments Been reading for about almost 5 hours straight. It's really good so far!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (d286380) | 1 comments I just brought this book today and I've got the whole day off tomorrow to read it...

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara I'm so excited; I just picked this up from my library today and can't wait to get into it!

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments Stayed up all night to finish this. Couldn't put it down.

message 16: by Shona (new)

Shona (anovelobsession) Finished this today and I really really enjoyed it. I loved the story line and the characters and I am so looking forward to his next book - I think it's coming out at the end of this month.

Definite five star read for me.

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am so glad I read through this thread, I was really ready to put it down with all the financial talk. But I kept reading and I am still not too far, but it's definitely picking up.

message 18: by Taejas (last edited Jul 07, 2009 08:02AM) (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments WARNING I don't think this counts as a spoiler as it's a physical description on page 38, but feel free to shout me down, cut down my mightiest tree with a herring, and/or move/delete the post.

My gosh, I feel stupid! I was all the way on page 50, when I suddenly realized that Salander has a dragon tattoo. Somehow, reading it in her description, it just blurred together with everything else, but when she mentioned her annoyance with Pippi Longstocking comparisons, my brain suddenly kicked into gear -- 12 pages too late. Hmm, maybe it's just a red herring anyway, though I doubt it. On p.78 now. Hopefully I'll get a bit more reading time tomorrow.

When did the fascination with scrawny-waif mod/goth/punk chicks begin, anyway? Is this a new thing in pop culture? Because while I love my coffee house patrons, and my friend Jeanette was the one in highschool who introduced me to Front 242 and Einsturzende, that was 17 years ago. Yet suddenly every tough girl protagonist I see looks like a Sydney Bristow disguise. Erk, hopefully that didn't sound too ranty. I'm honestly just curious.

I'm not sure why Pippi Longstocking reminds me of body art.... *sigh*

message 19: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments Vicki, it's funny that you say that, because the financial talk is what kind of grabbed me at the beginning. It seemed to ground the book as very modern -- no, that's not quite right. Very present, if you see the difference.

message 20: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments I'm enjoying the book, but I had to stop for a moment to rant -- I actually put down the book and booted up my laptop just to whine about this.

"Reluctantly he had to admit that the old man's story was intriguing." (p.90)

Why do authors tell you how good their stories are? Or in this case, how interesting some particular or pivotal plot point is? I'm enjoying the book just fine on my own, thank you very much. I don't need the narrator to prod me along with little, "Isn't that interesting?" pokes. In college I was told that this was one of the worst self-indulgences in writing, but this is the first time it's really hit home.

*sigh* Sorry. It's just one sentence, and it's a turn of phrase that could just as easily have been, "He found himself reluctantly intrigued by the old man's story," and bugged me less, and I really am enjoying the book. Pet peeve, I guess.

Maybe I can chock (chauk? chalk?) it up to translation issues.

message 21: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Taejas wrote: "WARNING I don't think this counts as a spoiler as it's a physical description on page 38, but feel free to shout me down, cut down my mightiest tree with a herring, and/or move/delete the post.

..."

I think the original title is more descriptive of the story than the English title. The English title makes it seem like the story focuses on Lisbeth. It does more so in the following books, and I think the English title suits the second book better (no idea about the third book yet).

message 22: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (goodreadscomcharlene_freedman) | 3 comments Yes - I was also almost put off the book by the initial few pages which were all about financial stuff which doesn't interest me. I'm pleased I persevered, though, because I found the rest of the novel really gripping.

message 23: by Ing (new)

Ing (shawtygurl15) Hello all, I just have a quick question...I really don't get why there's a sex crime statistic in the beginning of each part of the book ???

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Okay...I really have to read this book!!

message 25: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I was going to buy it last week but I'm trying to be good so I got on the waiting list for it at the library. I get to pick it up today at lunch. Can't wait to start!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Read the first chapter today and I get what most of you are saying about the financial stuff. I didn't not enjoy it but I'm glad to know that the book picks up.

message 27: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I started it yesterday and am already in love. It picked up a lot faster then I thought it would after reading some of the earlier posts. I'm excited for this one!

message 28: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) | 50 comments I just started chapter 8, and I still wating for it to pick up for me. I hope it does soon becuase I have already falled asleep three times while reading it.

message 29: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) | 50 comments Yes, Fiona, it does pick up, but not until about page 200 for me! I am on 300 now and can't put it down! I just made a cup of coffee so I can stay up longer to read more!

message 30: by Yvette (new)

Yvette  (yjacobs99) I am only on page 60 so far and already enjoying the book and the plot. Some of the names and places are a little difficult to pernounce.

message 31: by Ing (new)

Ing (shawtygurl15) I feel d same way...LOL

message 32: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I'm on 187 and loving it. I actually woke up early this morning to read. Can't wait to finish and discuss on the spoiler page.

message 33: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) The financial stuff was definitely a little hard to get through, but I became intrigued once Salander came on the scene and the Vanger mystery was introduced right after that. I'm only on p. 107. Should finish in a couple dAYS.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) I happen to agree that the financial portion of the book was a little over the top, at first I was trying to figure out just where in the story it all fit but after a few chapters everything began to fall into place. I am having a hard time putting the book down.

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Casey (ktcasey9) I'm only about 1/4 through, but am loving this book so far! Just discovered from reading your posts that this is the first in a series? I can already tell I'm going to have to read those too! The first part was slow for me as well, jumping from character to character, but now that they are all weaving into each other's lives, it is much more enjoyable!

message 36: by Yvette (new)

Yvette  (yjacobs99) I just finished the book and I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first chapter was boring, but after that it was full steam ahead. What an ending. Not expected.

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 38 comments I finally got my book from the library and can start reading it. I've heard it is very good so I look forward to reading it.

message 38: by Yvette (new)

Yvette  (yjacobs99) Kathy, I know you will. So Enjoy!!!

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I just bought this from Amazon, but probably will not read it in time to discuss it this month. I will jump into the spoiler thread once I have read it.

message 40: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (syellico) I think I finally hit a good part...I was having a hard time sticking it out until now (I am now on page 300). The story seems to jump around a lot in the beginning and sometimes the dialogue is choppy so I'm not quite sure who is speaking. Plus, the fact that "Vanger" could be several different characters, makes me wonder why he didn't just use first names. I'm not quite sure how all of these characters are going to end up relating to each other yet, but at least now I am interested to find out.

message 41: by Wallace (new)

Wallace I SO want to read this book. i actually bought it, got to page 19 and then was told that it was a scary story. i don't do well with scary stories, so i returned it. THEN I was told it wasn't scary, just suspenseful. Argh, neither of these people had actually read the book I come to find out.

Can someone please tell me... is this book scary (like I won't be able to sleep alone in a dark house) or just suspenseful (like I won't be able to sleep because I have to finish the book)?

message 42: by Ing (new)

Ing (shawtygurl15) LOL I am totally the same way as you...I can't read a scary book...my imagination goes wild & end up not being able to sleep @ night...but this book is just suspenseful/ mystery...it's really good...it's the you won't be able to sleep coz you haven't finished the book

message 43: by Kaz (new)

Kaz (imuzak12) | 4 comments Until I decided to put request for this book to library, I didn't know it was mystery/suspense novel. The last time I read Swedish author was quite long time ago; it was Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö, of course.

I liked this book from beginning. I've read 310 pages and can see where the story is heading to now, but I still don't know how it'll be wrapped up. I want to go home and finish reading it! By the way, I made a copy of "the Vanger's family tree" and am using as bookmark and reference.

In Japan, which is my home country, all three novels of this series are already published. Why?! Buying those costs me more than double comparing buying English ones, so I have to wait next two novels to be published in English... It's unfair!

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (robincarlton) | 21 comments Just picked this up yesterday! Gonna dig in once I finish Abundance. Looking forward to joining the discussion!

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 38 comments I have started reading the book and am really enjoying it so far. I am on page 103 and so far it is very intriguing. I can't wait to finish it.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too, I just started on this. I hope it won't be too late for me to post my comments when I'm done. Anyways, I'm more than half way through and like every intrigues / sub-plots. I can't wait to read how everything will merge at the end.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Started this last night - interesting so far.

I also loved that he had to look up Pensacola, Florida!

message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I was at Borders at lunch and the salesperson highly recommends this book. And the second one is now out in the U.S.

message 49: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Finally got this from the library and started it this afternoon. It has my interest so far.

message 50: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I know I'm really late in jumping into this thread, but I just picked this up today - thanks to all of you! Plan to start it tonight. I feel like the only person on the planet who hasn't read it yet!

« previous 1