College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Secret Life of Bees--NO Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please discuss without spoilers here..

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Who is planning on reading this/already has? Are you excited to read it? Has it been on your TBR list? Have you seen the movie?

I've already read it but plan on discussing! I've been wanting to see the movie..so maybe we can so a movie/book comparison thread too.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I read the book in high school. My mom recommended it to me and when my AP English teacher saw I was reading it she gushed to me about it. I didn't much care for it which surprised everyone, but I think the movie helped me like it a little better (not really sure why - especially b/c Dakota Fanning is superrrr annoying to me). I'd like to re-read it, but I'll probably be going only on memory since I'd really like to read Monte Cristo

message 4: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Doing a movie/book comparison is a great idea!

I've really liked Dakota Fanning in everything I've seen her in. What about her annoys you?

I'm still at the beginning of the book, but so far it's been good... :)

I just want to say to the group.. Thanks for picking it! and I hope everyone enjoys the group discussion!

message 5: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Macias | 18 comments I hate to be Debbie downer here, but I was not a big fan of the book overall. I have not seen the movie yet, so I'm hoping that will make things a little more interesting. I was really excited to read the book, but the first 100 pages for me were dull and lifeless, and the metaphors didn't really do much for me. I will say that it got MUCH more interesting toward the end, but it was kind of a chore to get there. Am I the only one who felt that way?

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Pricilla..I share similar feelings. Alot of people said how it was amazing..but for me it was just ok. I think I gave it 3 stars..but for my best friend she LOVED it. I don't know why I was so bored with half the book..it seemed like a great premise with interesting characters. The end did get better for me. I really want to watch the movie..and if I have time read it again.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) I read it a couple of months ago and really liked it. But I think I had high expectations for it and I don't think the book quite met those expectations.... still enjoyed it, though! :)

The movie was good too- I think the casting was AMAZING. I usually don't like the casts of movies that are based on books I've read, especially if I read the book first, but I think they did a really good job on this one.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Just went to my favorite used-book store and picked it up! I'm finishing up another book before I start this one, but I hope it's good.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I've read this one before too, and I really liked it. It wasn't my favorite book ever, but I definitely enjoyed it. I think I was the right age for it though (early high school). I'm excited to finally have a chance to talk about it with people.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet I'm reading it now. I started a little early. I am enjoying it but it's not my favorite book...thus far. I am having a hard time keeping track of time in this book. Does that make sense? She'll say 2 days had passed and reading it it seemed more like a week. I don't really know how to explain it!

message 11: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Janet, I'm feeling the same way about the passage of time. I thought at least a month had gone by, and then Lily said it'd been eight days. :)

I love the way Sue Monk Kidd writes the little stories within the overall story. But I kind of lose interest when she starts describing the settings in the book.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu I have the book, will try and read soon :)
So much to read so little time!

message 13: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments yay! :)

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I too have to book checked out, but for some reason I cant start it. This isnt the only book though, I have tried to read several books and just cant get into them. I really want to get this done before I move though.

message 15: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments When are you moving?

I'm going to post some questions in the spoiler thread if you do get to it... :)

I just want to say sorry guys, for not being a great discussion leader : (

message 16: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I started it last night. So far so good. Interesting enough to keep my attention. I am not sure what I was expecting from the book, so we'll see how it all ends up.

message 17: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Oh, good! I love going into a book without expectations :) (or with less expectations anyway). I try to do that with movies too, because I hate when something gets built up too much and then you feel let down if it doesn't live up to it... I hope you like the book :)

message 18: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) I'm about 2/3 of the way done with this, and I love it! This period in history is one of my favorite to read about, despite how painful it can be.

I didn't even realize that this was a group read until after I had already picked it up. I usually try to stay out of the spoilers discussion thread until I finish the book, but I can't wait to get over there to see what people think!

message 19: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Oh, it's all spoiled up over there :) You're probably good for the first couple of messages, but about half-way or a third of the way down it opens up.