The Page Turners discussion

Author Q&A's > [Closed] Author Q&A: Kathleen George

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Our next Q&A is with Kathleen George, author of A Measure of Blood.

A Measure of Blood by Kathleen George

The synopsis:
A murder sends a child into foster care and drags a detective into a feverish hunt for justice

Nadal watches for weeks before he first approaches the boy. No matter what Maggie Brown says, he’s sure Matt is his son, and a boy should know his father. After their first confrontation, Maggie should have run. She should have hidden her child. But she underestimated the man who was once her lover. With self-righteous determination, Nadal goes to her house. He demands to spend time with the boy. When she refuses, he reaches for a knife.

By the time homicide detective Richard Christie arrives on the scene, all that remains of Maggie Brown is a bloodstain on the floor. The killer has vanished, and Matt is too scared to remember anything but his mother’s fear. As Christie looks for the killer and Maggie’s friends fight to keep Matt out of the hands of Child Services, Nadal watches the news and waits. A boy should be with his father. He’s going to get his son.

Please post by the 19 of January.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Where did you get the idea for A Measure of Blood?

Who inspires you to write the most?

Who is you favorite author?

Do you have any advice for those who wish to become authors?

message 3: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy Do you prefer to write in past or present tense?

How often do you write?

What's your favourite part of having a book published?

When did you discover your love of writing?

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments What education did you receive before becoming an author?

message 5: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy Where do you get inspiration for your settings?

Do you ever feel like you run out of ideas?

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
Where do you receive inspiration?

Who do you look up to?

Who is your favorite author?

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Here are the answers:

Where did you get the idea for A Measure of Blood? ****I’m always interested in children who have big hurdles. I knew a boy who had been the product of artificial insemination. His mother was old for a mother. I thought, What will happen to him if she becomes ill? That morphed into, “What would happen to a boy whose mother was killed and who had no one because his mother was solving her own alone-ness by having him?"

Who inspires you to write the most? ****People. Always people that I fall in love with. I saw this little boy and he was so beautiful and also kind of nervous, uncertain, and I felt for him. After that I made things up.

Who is you favorite author? *****I can never answer this. Often it seems to be the next wonderful thing I am reading.

Do you have any advice for those who wish to become authors? *****Yes, I do. Read every day. Write every day.

Do you prefer to write in past or present tense?
********Because of the action oriented things I write, I often immediately fall into present tense but I love to do sections, particularly of history or memory of the characters, in past tense because it’s so much more possible to get at lyrical language in past tense.
How often do you write? ****Daily. Unless I get pneumonia (this month) but really even so I write something.

What's your favourite part of having a book published? ****Reading to an audience that is interested and has questions.

When did you discover your love of writing? ****I was six years old in first grade and I said I wanted to be a writer. But maybe it started earlier when I demanded books, one after another. I loved books.

What education did you receive before becoming an author? ****All of these degrees count toward affecting my work so I will list them. BA in writing, MA and Ph.D./Theatre, MFA in Creative Writing. I have a big tolerance for school. Sometimes I imagine going back for a degree is something unrelated. Business? Math?

Where do you get inspiration for your settings?****Usually I use places I’ve seen or heard about. Since I set everything in Pittsburgh and since I live here, I can tool around and check places out. Which I do. And my characters eat a lot so I check out the restaurants. (That’s fun.)

Do you ever feel like you run out of ideas? ****Not yet. Bit your tongue.

Where do you receive inspiration? *****from reading. From admiring what other people do.

Who do you look up to?*****My husband for sure. He’s a wonderful writer of great discipline. And I look up to my sisters who are not writers but who are marvelous loving people.

Who is your favorite author? *****You keep asking and I don’t have a favorite. Books I’ve recently read and loved were THE END OF THE POINT, THE SIGNATURE OF ALL THINGS, THE GOLDFINCH.

THANKS!! I LOVE QUESTIONS.