Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Reading snacks

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

librarian4Him02 | 273 comments Hi All,

I don't think I've seen this come up as a question, so am going to throw it out there. What, in your opinion, is the best snack to enjoy when sitting down for some quality reading time? If you're the type to snack while you read, that is.

Have a great night everyone.

Juli

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Popcorn - because reading is like a movie in your mind.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I don't really like to eat while I read because I don't want my fingers to be dirty when I'm touching the pages so I'm constantly having to wipe my fingers off and that just gets annoying for me.

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb I agree with Carol - popcorn!

message 5: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) I don't tend to eat while reading. If its a new book, I don't like dirtying up my pages. And if it's a used book, I get grossed out thinking who all has touched the book before me and will that transfer to my fingers and then food and then my mouth?? So, no eating while reading.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments I agree with the "no eating" rule, I don't like to dirty up the pages either. But, I do love having a cup of coffee or tea while I'm reading.

message 7: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Me too: no eating but a cup of coffee and I'm pleased.

message 8: by Lisi (new)

Lisi (toyonomikoto) | 43 comments I also don't eat, but I love to have a glas with fruit juice or milk in front of me when I read.

message 9: by Suvi (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) No eating, I see enough gross blots in library books. Besides, for some odd reason it distracts me x)

message 10: by Random (last edited Jul 07, 2009 07:54PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Suvi wrote: "No eating, I see enough gross blots in library books. Besides, for some odd reason it distracts me x)"

Unless I'm with others, I actually prefer to read while I'm eating meals. I'll pretty read while I do anything if I can get away with it. :)

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Whoa...if I ate while I read, I'd be in trouble. No snacks needed here. (Live at the river and its bathing suit season, pretty much ALL year round!) Plus, I've had three kids within 2 years and that's not so great for the bod. Hummus and pita bread or veggies sounds really good right about now though....haha

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcommybookblog) have to have a cup of tea while reading..

message 13: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) Victoria wrote: "have to have a cup of tea while reading..

"

Me, too! I love curling up with a good book and a cup of chai tea. And the winter is best since you can read by the fire!

message 14: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Michelle wrote: "Whoa...if I ate while I read, I'd be in trouble."

*grin* I've been known to go out to restaurants by myself so I can enjoy my book without being interrupted. :)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Haha! That is SOOO tempting, especially if you live somewhere with cool and interesting restaurants...ALAS, I do not. My choice would be between a fast food joint and Denny's. Haha!

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica Young (_erykah_) | 1 comments Natalee wrote: "Victoria wrote: "have to have a cup of tea while reading..

"

Me, too! I love curling up with a good book and a cup of chai tea. And the winter is best since you can read by the fire!
"

I second this! Chai goes perfect with a good read!

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane Peanut M&M's and tea or wine.

message 18: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H I like to eat popcorn when I read late at night if I can hold the book in one hand and eat my popcorn with the other, which rules out heavy hardbacks at that time! At other times, I may have something like M&M's, small pieces of candy that I can pop in my mouth when I'm turning the pages, but I agree with the others: I don't like to get the pages dirty. I find that if I am eating something requiring utensils, I will sit at the table and pretty much finish the food on the first page or so, so that I don't have to keep interrupting my reading to eat!

message 19: by Rita (new)

Rita I'm with the others

A cup of tea or coffee and I'm good.

message 20: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) If I eat while I am reading it some kind of snack food. Fruit, popcorn, trail mix. I always have something to drink. Coffee or tea in the morning. Wine or iced tea in the afternoon and evening.

message 21: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) I definitely love me some popcorn with my books.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol King (cking5634) | 7 comments When I was a kid, it was always an apple. I would curl up in a chair (no recliners for us then) and crunch away with Little House on the Prairie, M. L'Engle, Ramona, etc.. all the great 60's books. I even climbed to the tops of trees and pulled a basket of books and an apple up with me. Now, though it's chai tea!

message 23: by Carol (last edited Oct 01, 2009 08:07AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Good Topic! I haven't heard chili mentioned yet. When I was younger and had the time, my favorite thing to do, especially in nasty weather, was to curl up in bed with books and magazines spread all around me and a pot of chili on the stove...and read, read, read all weekend, just getting up long enough for refilling my bowl (I confess, I do eat in bed)(sometimes) and personal ablutions. Ahem! Alas, now that I'm an adult...I still do that, but not as often. I do eat dinner while I read (you notice it's not the other way 'round) and it's the one time (during meals) that I can really relax and know that I have that time all to myself for my own reading time...otherwise I have to fit it in in bits and spurts.
Carol N

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Yum, Carol! I can't wait for the cool weather to start here, homemade soups and stews and bread sounds awesome and I need comforting stuff right now! :) I think I'll whip up some hummus for this weekend and maybe some spinach dip. I like to do stuff like that, so I can have it either as snacks or as lunch.

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I'm with Random (message 10) "Unless I'm with others, I actually prefer to read while I'm eating meals. I'll pretty read while I do anything if I can get away with it. :)"

I read while eating. There are the inevitable disasters - putting a forkful of food in my hair and not my mouth; spilling soup down my front; reading isn't for sissies though.

message 26: by Ky (new)

Ky (poeticshark) I usually have tea, but I ave no issues with snacks...I tend to only use one hand while reading anyays...lol

message 27: by Emeshea (new)

Emeshea (emeshenaenae) Necessary for reading: a beverage. This can include, but is not limited to:
- Tea
- Coffee
- Wine
- Water

Snacks (optional while reading)
- Toast and a cheese plate
- popcorn
- Chocolate
- quesadilla
- cookies (& milk)
- anything you can just pop in your mouth

message 28: by Alarice (new)

Alarice Hansberry | 56 comments dry cereal - mini wheats (which now come in a REALLY delicious CHOCOLATE flavor - go try them if you have not) are perfect with a glass of milk and a book

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nchhynes) I cannot eat while I read: too distracting. But I love having Coke Zero when I read during the day or herbal tea when I read in the evening.

message 30: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Doctoroff (brandiheather) I love drinking a giant cup of coffee while I read, but I find it pretty distracting to try to read and eat at the same time. I am also worried about the mess, I wouldn't want to get anything on my books/kindle.

message 31: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (thebeblend) | 43 comments Tea. Always tea. As long as there's a table nearby to put it on. Nothing worse than balancing a cup and saucer on your lap while reading.

message 32: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) Coffee or tea, I always need something hot to drink. If I need to snack it's popcorn or lifesavers.

message 33: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i don't snack at all when i read. i am totally focused on the book.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments I usually don't eat while reading, because it's annoying to get the pages dirty. I drink water, tea...

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments So here's the weird & wacky truth: A really good book is the best diet aid I know. When I'm loving a book, I don't move, let alone eat or drink anything, for hours. Sometimes I'm in the same spot the whole day. If I don't sit down with some form of beverage in hand at the start, I don't even notice the lack until dehydration sets in. Thank goodness breathing is an autonomic function.

message 36: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (thebeblend) | 43 comments Donna wrote: "... When I'm loving a book, I don't move, let alone eat or drink anything, for hours."

Ha! I'm totally the same way, except for my tea when I'm at home. My husband and I took an extended honeymoon traveling through SE Asia, and for three days in the middle I didn't look up once from the book I was reading. I would have forgotten to eat if he hadn't been with me.

Incidentally, the book was Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. So good.