Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

I Capture the Castle
This topic is about I Capture the Castle

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Has anyone checked out the movie version?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, Thanks Angie. I didn't know that there was a movie. I'll check to see if my library has it. If enough people say it's really good, I might get it from Netflix.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Disney once planned to film I Capture the Castle as a vehicle for child star Hayley Mills, but script problems kept the movie out of production. Years later, Smith's estate got the movie rights back from Disney in exchange for permission to make a live-action version of 101 Dalmatians.

I read this online.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, I loved Hayley Mills. I would have loved that.

Kathryn | 60 comments I saw it before I read the book, which I totally regret now. I liked the book much better. The movie was okay but for me it seemed to have some rather odd overtones and I didn't really think the actress who played Cassandra was "right" for the role even then--now, I especially don't. But, it's a nice little period piece with some good scenery but I strongly suggest waiting to finish the book first!!!

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I usually like to read a book and then watch a movie. I loved to be surprised in a book!

Kathryn | 60 comments Yes. I saw the movie several years ago and, at the time, had no interest in reading the book. But, yes, I do prefer reading the books first!

message 8: by Jill (last edited Jul 03, 2009 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill (jillber) | 20 comments I read this book and then saw the movie -- I actually thought that they did a decent job with the script, it seemed to be fairly consistent with the book. The two things that made it worth watching: 1. Beautiful scenery 2. Henry Cavill (although he could have counted in the beautiful scenery category :))
My two complaints were 1. The nude scene was just plain freaky 2. I still didn't like the ending, but you can't really change that.

message 9: by Janna (new) - added it

Janna (fortunateizzi) | 5 comments I saw the movie a few years ago... I remember liking it, but not much more than that. I'd like to read the book now!

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just reserved my copy!

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished the movie and I really enjoyed it! I was surprised to see the movie was made in 2002. I am glad. I thought this was going to be an old film. I loved the costumes and thought the story really followed the book.

I didn't think the nude scene was freaky. What made you think that? I thought that followed the book too. I would recommend the book to everyone who is interested!

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill (jillber) | 20 comments Ummm, the nude scene freaked me out just because it was so close-up! I had pictured in the book seeing this woman in the distance, but that up-close and right in front of the headlights of the car was too much exposure for me. :/

But yes, I did enjoy most of it and thought it followed the book pretty well.

Jennifer (JenJen1221) I loved the book...I'll have to find the movie version because I am interested in seeing how they adapted it.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Watching this movie now. I forgot I watched it before and saw that it was on!

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

This movie has a young man in it.. who now is the man who plays superman in the new movie (little trivia there).