Afro Literature discussion

What is everyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre (new)

Andre | 7 comments I am looking for a good book between writing my third novel and book appearances. Anyone have any ideas?

message 2: by SassyMama (new)

SassyMama (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 7 comments Hey, Andre...WOW...that's simply AWFUL...you posted this on 2/15/08 and no one responded...kinda sad considering the website is called goodreads...anyhoo...being a romance junkie...I seriously doubt you'd be interested in what I have or what I am reading...but I guess after all this time you've probably found something...so, now you can get back to work on that sequel to Blackbirds: Volume I...SMilE...Happy Reading & Writing:-)

message 3: by Dawnny (new)

Dawnny Ruby | 1 comments I just finished Victoria Christopher Murray
Too Little Too Late.
that was good

I'm reading Shameless Hoodwives

Andre check out Ivan Wright's new book. I think that is something you can get into.
Indentured Scholars: The Inner City Scandal

message 4: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (krheck) | 2 comments I'm catching up on a lot of classic AA literature. I finished Invisible Man recently and then I read Jazz by Toni Morrison (not quite as old as the others!) and now I'm on Native Son by Richard Wright.

message 5: by Willette (new)

Willette Hill Hello -- I just joined this group today. I've only been a member of goodreads for a week or so and I'm addicted to the website. :) Right now I'm reading Song Yet Sung by James McBride and I'm loving it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 11, 2008 01:10PM) (new)

Hey Willette...I am not on this much, there is another one that i love more. I hope you enjoy this one, it is not for me. I am reading the breaking point by Janaya Black..Pretty good read.

message 7: by TheStoryBrooks (new)

TheStoryBrooks (blackliterati) | 5 comments hello everyone. i'm new to the group. right now i'm reading some people, some other place by j. california cooper. willette, i started song yet sung a little while ago but was too busy to finish it. it seemed really good though.

message 8: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1 comments Hi Honey,

I saw your post and noticed that your reading Some People....It was the first J. California Cooper book I've read and I really disliked it. I know lots of people like her books and even my mom has given me some of her short stories but if after you finish it you can give me any kind of positive review perhaps I'll put that book my mom gave me on one of my lists...

message 9: by TheStoryBrooks (new)

TheStoryBrooks (blackliterati) | 5 comments Hey William,
I'm actually liking this book. I will admit there have been a few points that really drag. I love J. California Cooper though and I definitely recommend her short stories. I read Some Love, Some Pain, Sometime and LOVED it. As with this one I'm reading now, not all of the stories kept me 100% interested but hey. I still loved the book and took a lot of lessons away from it. Ultimately, that's what I look for in a book....a chance to learn, grow, and see things from a (sometimes) completely different POV.

message 10: by Blkjewelz (new)

Blkjewelz | 2 comments Hello all, I just joined the group and I see there is a discussion about J. California Cooper. Now I am an expert on her as she is my all-time favorite author. I have read every book she has ever put out.

Now I will admit some of her books start out slow but once you get into the meat of the book you won't be able to put them down.

Gloria Mallette is another exceptional author.

message 11: by TheStoryBrooks (new)

TheStoryBrooks (blackliterati) | 5 comments hey jewelz. j. is one of my all time favorites as well. what's your favorite novel and short story of hers?

message 12: by Blkjewelz (new)

Blkjewelz | 2 comments Hum, my favorite J book that is a hard choice. I think I really enjoyed SOME LOVE, SOME PAIN, SOME TIME and HOMEMADE LOVE. How about you?

message 13: by Andre (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Andre | 7 comments Wow it has been awhile since I checked in since starting this thread. I gave up on the thread. I have read a ton of books since I posted this -

Thoroughly enjoyed:

The Shack
Daughter Denied
What You Owe, Love Does Not Pay

I am still working on Blackbirds: Volume 2, it is coming along really, really well

message 14: by SassyMama (last edited Nov 03, 2008 10:44AM) (new)

SassyMama (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 7 comments I'm currently reading "The Mpire In Search of the Lost" by T.L. James...it's quite a page-turner...but I've been so busy since I started reading it...that I can't get any quality reading time...running my 14 year old here and there and the 3 year old twins have old and new activites...so it's been hard to find time to just sit and read straight through...but so far it's an intriguing tale with a COLORFUL cast of characters and an eerie, but engaging storyline...Happy Reading :-)

message 15: by Andre (new)

Andre | 7 comments I am getting that book this Wednesday.

message 16: by TheStoryBrooks (new)

TheStoryBrooks (blackliterati) | 5 comments I am currently reading Fledgling by Octavia Butler....I think I'm going to start Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin pretty soon as well.

message 17: by Lena (new)

Lena | 3 comments Did anyone read "The Help"? Do you think the author did a good job characterizing the maids; their feelings, thoughts,etc?

message 18: by Hubert (new)

Hubert | 2 comments I'm reading Edward Jones' The Known World. What an incredible web of connections he develops; the reading is slow and lugubrious, but worth the time and effort.

message 19: by Lena (new)

Lena | 3 comments Hubert wrote: "I'm reading Edward Jones' The Known World. What an incredible web of connections he develops; the reading is slow and lugubrious, but worth the time and effort."

Hubert wrote: "I'm reading Edward Jones' The Known World. What an incredible web of connections he develops; the reading is slow and lugubrious, but worth the time and effort."
I read this book. It surprised me that black folks actually had slaves. Yet, after reading the book, I had a new understanding about economics, race and the institution of slavery.

message 20: by TC (new)

TC | 2 comments A friend of mine suggested "Prescriptions of a Poet:Remedies of the Heart" to me, written by a friend of hers. This book is a compilation of 30 poems (some of which are spoken word) about life, love and love of self. Its a pretty cool book, and sometimes I feel like it took the words right out of my mouth. Check it out if you have the chance its available on most websites. The author(L. C. Arrington) has a website www.honestly-speaking.org

message 21: by Hubert (new)

Hubert | 2 comments Over the last 3 or 4 months I've been reading a lot of novels set in Africa, including Season of Migration to the North, Things Fall Apart, and A Bend in the River. All very devastating, all very well written.

message 22: by BookishGlow (new)

BookishGlow (bookish_glow) I'm currently reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson and More Than You Know by Rosalyn M. Story. Both are very good books. I highly recommend them.

message 23: by King (new)

King James | 2 comments I recommend Freedom is Not Free by king James. This is a good book.
Freedom is Not Free

message 24: by King (new)

King James | 2 comments Check out this book Tangled Webs

message 25: by Sheena (new)

Sheena (sheenaoh) | 1 comments Badmuthagoose wrote: "I'm catching up on a lot of classic AA literature. I finished Invisible Man recently and then I read Jazz by Toni Morrison (not quite as old as the others!) and now I'm on Native Son by Richard Wr..
I am proud to announce that I have read all of Toni Morrison's novels except for her latest, Home.

message 26: by Jaree (new)

Jaree Francis (metracity) | 2 comments

Free sample of the There's No Tomorrow
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

The Afro-Librarians (afrolibrarians) | 1 comments Currently working my way through Southern Africa. Just finished "We Need New Names (Bulawayo) and now reading Kaffir Boy.

message 28: by Lena (new)

Lena | 3 comments I read Kaffir Boy a few years ago, I enjoyed it although I remember parts of the story being very dark.

message 29: by Fanita (new)

Fanita Pendleton | 3 comments If you want a really good read check out I Am That Bitch part 1 and 2 by Cinnamon Brown.... you wont be disappointed