Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
Disscusions of our July Group Read Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong

Please avoid spoilers in this thread.

message 2: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I have a question for anyone who has read Men of the Otherworld and the Women of the Otherworld series... I get the feeling from reviews that this book provides insights into characters already introduced in earlier published books. Will I feel lost if I read Men of the Otherworld before I read the other books in the series?

I've had the Women of the Otherworld series on my To Read list for a LONG time just never have gotten around to it. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to read them all in July or not.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm curious about this too.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I have not read any other of the books besides Men of the Otherworld and I am about half way through it. So far I am not lost at all. The first chapter gives you everything you really need to know to keep up with the book. So I think you would be ok if you just read it out of order of the other books.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really more worried about whether or not it will spoil the other books.

message 6: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I don't think it spoils anything if you haven't read the other books. It offers insight into characters you don't normally "here from"...backgrounds and such. I believe you can read this and not ever read the other books. But who would do that? lol J/K. I think you're safe reading this book first before the other ones. Seeing as the other books are more about the women anyway.
Hope that helps!....and ENJOY!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Elvia! :)

message 8: by Elena (last edited Jul 05, 2009 05:29AM) (new)

Elena I am loving the book. This is my first werewolf book (not counting Twighlight). The book is supposed to be, if I am not wrong, three stories she had online, all in one book. You can't tell by reading it as the book is just one story. It is also the prequel to Bitten, which I have wanted to read for a while. It is the childhood of the male protagonist, there are no women characters (except at the beginning, his mother ), at least up the point I have read. I am 60% on Kindle.

I am very glad to have read this book first as it seems that when I start Bitten I will be in love already with Clay. That is, if he is a good guy...

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I love Clay too and I adore Jeremy!! I also am going to read the series now that I read this book. I loved it and I have no doubt I am going to love the rest of the series.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Brewster | 28 comments Can you say LOVED IT, and I liked Clay too!

message 11: by Knitwit (new)

Knitwit Tarvin Cool! I've read all the Women books and loved them. I had the reverse concerns: Will I like this as much as the others? Sounds like I will. Anyway, I purchased this book a few weeks ago, but haven't started it. Now I can't wait to read it!

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments I've read all the Women books as well.

I've read most of the stories when they were on her website. I haven't read them in the book yet. I forget if there are four or five stories in this book. Whatever. I think one of them is new. I read on her website that the stories are backstory to the novels that she wrotes for herself to keep the stories straight.

Now there are other short stories are on her website.

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne Reading this book wont spoil the Women of the Otherworld series. It's just helps you understand Clay and Jeremy better. But one caution, IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD SERIES YET, DON'T READ THE LAST STORY IN THIS BOOK!!! That last short story, Kitsunegari, jumps ahead in time to after a bunch of the Women books. It will spoil some of the other books. You need to have atleast read through No Humans Involved.

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Dang I wish I would have known that before I read it. It seemed like it might spoil it but I read it anyway LOL Oh well... I am still gonna read the Women books.

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne It wont spoil the women books enough to not read the series. You just now know, a number of books ahead of time, which 2 characters end up dating.

message 16: by Elena (new)

Elena I read it but I really don't remember the details of the last part, I don't even know what Kelley Anne is talking about, lol.
I did start Bittenand have read like 20%. I find it slow since a lot is repeating what I already know from this book, but very interesting theme.

message 17: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I've been wanting to read this series as well but have yet to find it at my bookstore, might have to break down and order it online.. altho i'm only part way through the Women of the otherworld books, currently reading Industrial Magic...

message 18: by Ariana (new)

Ariana (CarpeCorpus) | 4 comments I've read the book (Men of the Otherworld) as well as the bitten series. The book was amazing. It had great pacing, characters and a plot. Do you need to read the series to understand and enjoy the book? No. Which is great. But if you have read the series then i think you'll understand the sutle hints in the book that refers to the series. [Don't worry it won't throw you off :)]

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite aspect of Kelley Armstrong as a writer is that she writes her books in such a way that you don't have to start with any particular book. Each book fills in the information you need to understand the relationships between characters, and all the subtle nuances one might miss if a series is EXPECTED it be read book one to fifty...

I'm in love, and can't wait for Frostbitten to come out in paperback (oh the wait is going to tear at me!)

P.S. I ended up so addicted that I read books 1-6 in about 8 weeks! (on I burned up the VISA those 8 weeks!)

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 42 comments I starte the series with the witch stories. I have to say I don't like this as much as I like the others. I miss the romance. What can I say?

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 66 comments (I made this same comment on the spoliers thread, but thought some might not be reading htat thread so I'd post it here as well)
I have really enjoyed every book in this series, but I definately wouldn't have read this one first, even though technically it comes first. Its a lot of really cool info that is far more interesting if you are already emotionally invested in the characters.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 42 comments I agree Jessica. It comes first but its more an explanation of rather then a prequel

message 23: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments My library system finally came through for me and I was able to read this book. (I'd previously read 3/4 or 2/3 of this book on the author's website.)

Bitten is intended to be the first book of the series, and I felt like it showed when I was reading this book. Clay is sympathetic in this book. He is less so, when Elena is telling the story.