Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

questions > New to the group

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (aziscohoslake) | 6 comments I'm brand new to the group, but not to sci-fi. Does anyone have any suggestions on what authors to read that are brand new to sci-fi?? I've read a lot of the older stuff, but would like to read something by a new author that was good. Thanks!

message 2: by Dan (last edited Feb 16, 2008 04:11AM) (new)

Dan (dannytheinfidel) | 32 comments Welcome!
What do you like in other books? There are so many sub-genres in Sci-Fi. Do you like crime, action, romance, adventure, military, horror, humour or what?

I have always liked R A Heinlein and Asimov, as I see them as "true" Sci-Fi, however people here will probably protest.
But it was what I started off with.

message 3: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 24 comments Somewhere on this site. There is a thread about new sci-fi must reads.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (aziscohoslake) | 6 comments Thank you very much for the welcome! I absolutely love Asimov and Heinlein I see them as true sci-fi as well, I also like AC Clarke, that's how I got started on sci-fi to begin with. I think what I'm looking for is something more on the action, adventure side. I like time travel as well, gotta love the whole paradox issue!! Anyway, does anything fresh and new come to mind that is in the same realm as those authors??

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (aziscohoslake) | 6 comments I'll have to search that out, thank you very much!!

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 12 comments For sci-fi action/adventure, I'd recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. I'm also enjoying David Weber's Honor Harrington series - it's pretty much Horatio Hornblower in space, if you think you would like that sort of thing.

For time travel, Connie Willis is great: To Say Nothing of the Dog and The Doomsday Book. I'd also recommend the novel Replay by Ken Grimwood.

message 7: by Jana Tetzlaff (new)

Jana Tetzlaff | 3 comments I just joined and and now try to find my way around here. I wanted to add my two-pence to one of the topics here, but I'm told repeatedly that I have to be a member of the group to post a comment. I guess, I'll have to lie down for a moment. ;o)

I second the recommendation of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. However, I do have serious issues with the author's attempts at fantasy with Beguilement.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 12 comments Jana, I liked her fantasy books The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, but the Sharing Knife series doesn't sound like something I would like.

message 9: by Jana Tetzlaff (new)

Jana Tetzlaff | 3 comments Seemed to me that Beguilement never really got started. I turned the last page and thought "So what?!". The series might improve with the next instalment, but I don't think I'll give it a try. There are many people out there on the forums who really love this book. Just goes to show that tastes differ. We don't have to agree on everything, eventhough we might share some likes and dislikes. :o)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (fatmangoboom) | 2 comments Hello I am Michael and I just joined not to long ago... I love this website it is really well done and I have not read to much but I am very interested in fantasy books and look forward to learning off you all which books I should get and which I should avoid...

Cheers

message 11: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle hiya...just thought I'd say hi :P

I agree that Heinlein, Asimov and Clarke are "true" sci fi...Heinlein is completely to blame for my scifi addiction!!! hehehe...

Anyways....thought it was high time I left a post somewhere, so here it is :P I read like crazy and tho I'll read just about anything once, I normally stay with science fiction and/or fantasy. I'm currently ready Enchanted by Orson Scott Card, but have about 4 other books screamin at me to read them

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (aziscohoslake) | 6 comments Same here for Heinlein, his are the first sci fi books I read. Lately I haven't been reading nearly as much sci fi as I used to. I guess it doesn't help that I work for the library where I live and I see all these great books come through all the time!! I just finished Plague Ship by Cussler, not sci fi, but really interesting anyway, a little bit on the futuristic side in a disturbing and scary sort of way.

Welcome to the group, now I need to start reading the hundreds of sci fi books I have in my own library at home I guess!