Book Haven discussion

Young Adult > YA books that are under appreciated...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Do you know of any great YA books that are under appreciated, or that are not well known?

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I think that A Curse Dark as Gold is an adaptation of Rumplestiltskin. I thought that the characters and plot were great. This is Elizabeth C. Bunce's first novel, and I am sure there will be many more where this one came.

message 3: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments I recently read a historical YA romance, Two Suns in the Sky by Miriam Bat-Ami. I had never heard of it before I found it at the library sale, but I thought it was a wonderful story.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 43 comments When She Was Good.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Maybe YA books can change the world?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/20...

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 5 comments I really enjoyed the Jackie Faber books- the first one is Bloody Jack about a her adventures as a ships boy back in the late 1700's. She is high spirited and plucky. Listened to them on audio- I highly recommend the series

message 7: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Lisa Anne wrote: "Maybe YA books can change the world?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/20..."

That is wonderful! And, I think they can really influence young people's thinking and actions.

I know that the book that profoundly changed me was "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I was 14/15 at the time. I didn't understand half of what was going on, but I understood the overall message being conveyed. Just think, if a fictional book that far beyond my ability to fully understand could affect me so strongly, how much the right YA could have.

message 8: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I Am the Messenger....I loved it!!!!

message 9: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments oliver twist

people don't read the classics anymore.

message 10: by Sayyeda (new)

Sayyeda (literaryhues) | 36 comments Shelli wrote: "I Am the Messenger....I loved it!!!!"

I did too! It was very well written :D

message 11: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) | 344 comments Oliver Twist is a wonderful book. But it is very serious and I would not consider it YA. I have read all the classics except the Aneid,War & Peace. They are next on my to read. I would say unapreciated YA would fall into. C.S. Lewis The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. But to get a little more old school on yah and very YA. Wild Animals I have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton, Rasal by Sterling North a book about the year he spent raising a baby Racoon. In my day these were YA classics. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton well I don't know if that is in unapreciatednowdays or not. : )

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 211 comments I loved the Outsiders and since it is on most high school reading lists, I don't think it is under appreciated! I can't wait for my boys to be old enough to read it!

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (tinaboscha) | 8 comments I really love the The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. I wish, wish, wish it got more attention than other popular books, because it is such a smart take on gender and gets you to THINK. I assign it to my students and they love it.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Tina wrote: "I really love the The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. I wish, wish, wish it got more attention than other popular books, because it is such a smart take on gender and ..."

That's been on my to-read list for awhile. I guess I'll need to move it up!

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (tinaboscha) | 8 comments I'm serious - when my students read this book they say things like "Frankie is my GIRL" and "I wish I was like Frankie when I was younger" and we have really interesting discussions about gender. Plus, it's really fun, as she does all sorts of naughty things!!