Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Same Old -> Bewitched vs IDO-Jeannie -> Hasselhoff vs. Brosnan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) ...this discussion is inspired from another group on GR. I mostly like to hear from the group here who I imagine study a lot of history. But as well compare to modern day society.

The topic was: Was Mr. Darcy a virgin?
Now there isn't a need to get lewd or debate about Mr. Darcy. I'm more curious about the 1800s to now. Does the same "expectation" for a man hold true today?

My belief is back then men were expected to be masters of pleasure. And it wasn't any shocker for them to head to the brothels at a ripe tender boyhood age to learn. In fact, fathers paid for it. Is that the same now? Not the brothels but the "expectation"? Does that pressure evolve to now?

Sorry for the curiosity. The responses of GASP NO Mr. Darcy is pure becomes hard to swallow. Realistically if it was accepted or expected back then, it doesn't make Mr. Darcy any less of man. Once, twice, fine.

But...dunno. Heh. If this topic isn't suited to TC please remove! I think it can be sensitive :)

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
What? What in the world is this jibber jabber?

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm not a Jane Austen fan (or most Victorian writing for that matter). I'm gonna stay out of this discussion. Carry on.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) jibber jabber and hooting

message 5: by Heidi (last edited Jun 29, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments correction: I'm not a fan of Victorian or pre-Victorian writing. And definitely not Jane Austen.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha...my first response to the first post was "What in the hell is Tanja going on about?" but Sally beat me to it:)

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "Thanks for the correction, I really appreciate it! I know its geeky, but there it is. I'm sure some people would get equally bugged if somebody called the Sex Pistols a heavy metal band. "

Gotcha. :)

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori So just how would you classify the Sex Pistols?

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Ah yes. But of course. :D

message 10: by Usako (last edited Jun 29, 2009 06:23PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Believe it or not this was posted on the Jane Austen group. I laughed seeing it and the debates about it. AHAHAHAA

You don't have to be a Jane Austen reader to figure an answer.

Dunno. I found it funny to debate. Wondered on thoughts here. Now back to watching my movie *Thank You For Smoking*

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *grins at BunWat*

I'm an easily amused person. Makes me remember when I was younger - who would win in a fight Batman or Superman?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Superman, unless Batman could get hold of some Kryptonite.

The REAL question is, who's more powerful, Samantha from Bewitched, or Jeanie from I Dream of Jeanie. :D

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ginger or Mary Ann?

Oh, never mind about that one.

Samantha was definitely more sophisticated in her powers. Plus she had family members to help her.

message 14: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Did Sam even have a handicap? (Besides Endora.)

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Aunt Clara and her doorknob collection.

[image error]

message 16: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Jeannie had a sister, didn't she?

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Hahaha, ahhhh, what sweet childhood memories. And the future JR was in Jeannie, hahahahah.

message 18: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Samantha, of course! Plus, she had more of a backbone than Jeannie did, even if they both were trying to be 'good' for their men. I could never figure out why it was good to not use the coolest powers ever, and tell the guys to just STFU.

Not to mention, Jeannie was always trying to sex up the Colonel, who never seemed interested, but Sam usually got it on with Darren whenever she wanted. Makes you wonder about the dear Colonel's preferences.

Oh, and Aunt Clara was pimpin! :D
(Can you tell which show was my favorite growing up?)

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Good question Jackie!

If Jeannie's ponytail was chopped off would her head bob "magic" technique work? What if Samantha had a nose job would that forever ruin the twitch?

But I liked Sam. She had pluck! Wasn't there a crossover show at one point? TIME TO SEARCH!

And Aunt Clara made me laugh.

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Googled: i dream of jeannie bewitched crossover
Results: I'm scared. very scared. Do not want to click "slash" fiction.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Thanks Tanja, great thread evolved from off beat question, Tabitha had a show for a short time.
What was Samanthas slutty cousins name? She could have kicked Jeanies sister ass.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Michelle: Thanks Tanja, great thread evolved from off beat question

Thanks! Most of my actual conversations tend to turn out that way. It's fun!

Oooh wasn't that cousin played by Elizabeth Montgomery? Dark hair. I can picture her easily. And I have to agree! Jeanie II (sister) would be punked!

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Both Bewitched and I Dreamed of Jeannie were kind of hot. But I think I'd go with Bewitched.

message 24: by Heidi (last edited Jun 30, 2009 05:56AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'd go with Miss Switch. I secretly wished my 5th grade teacher was like Ms. Switch. She wore the high-necked lace collared white blouses, a cameo pin at the top button, a full black skirt (as in never saw the shoes because the skirt was full length, and she could melt a preteen's stubborn resolve with a look.

message 25: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Samantha was mega-hot, but Jeannie would easily play into some of my more depraved naughty fantasies. Like, "Jeannie, create about 4 of yourself and come make a sandwich out of me..."

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *falls out of her seat giggling*

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Leave it to Gus... :)

message 28: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Damn right. If given that opportunity, I'm not passing it up. Ever.

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Why not Sam & Jeannie both magic up a harem?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the way you think Tanja.

message 31: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Because Samantha is all feminist and shit, and she ain't gonna bow down to her man's wishes.

Jeannie, on the other hand, has been conditioned to please.

Advantage Jeannie.

message 32: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Gus is right. Get Sam's cousin, the slut, instead!

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a tough one. Jeannie, while convenient, might be too easy. I might get bored. Samantha, on the other hand...plus I like her hair better.

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I love how the women are debating who'd win in a fight and the men are debating which is more favorable in their harem! *laughs!!!*

Larry had a good one: Ginger or Mary Ann?

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mary Ann. The loud, diva types never do it for me.

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Greg has given this a lot of thought...

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I hate that I have nothing to say on this topic!

Can't y'all debate 80s tv stars instead?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sure, Sally! Which ones?

message 39: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Okay, here's an 80's debate for you: which 80's cougar would you bang: Krystal Carrington or Alexis Carrington Colby?

Bonus: How?

Mega Bonus: Where?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

OK Sally you're up!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Or, if you're a girl, who was hotter, Remington Steele or Magnum P.I?

message 42: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) My wife would heartily say Remington Steele. Besides, she's the only person I know on this planet that has the entire series on DVD.

message 43: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments What if you're a girl who likes girls???

Jo Polniaczek from Facts of Life, very rough, in the shed where she kept her bike.

;)

(Was there a shed or am I just making that up?)

message 44: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) There was no shed, Mindy. But, hell, even I had a massive chubby for Jo. Blair, on the other hand...I just wanted to beat her with a brick.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, I know, Remington Steele, no contest. But Magnum had that sweet guest house on Oahu, rent free!

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments The hunks on Knotts landing, Jackie

message 47: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Well, there's a shed in my fantasy! Oh yeah, Blair was like nails on a chalkboard!

I liked Magnum, Jacks, b/c he reminded me of my Daddy. And my very first celebrity crush was a very minor '80s star, Skip Stevenson from "Real People"! I was such an goofy little kid...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::brain shuts down at mention of "Real People":::

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I liked Leroy from fame, bad and broody

message 50: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jun 30, 2009 02:45PM) (new)

Mmmmmmm, indeed. I was also a fan of Jo. Mindy, I think she always came in the house with her motorcycle helmet in her arm we must have just assumed she had somewhere nice to park it out there. That must be it.

What about Sam from Who's the Boss vs. Angela from My So Called Life?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.