Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week 36 (June 29 - July 4) Done

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is Cannibalism (due to popular vote, lol). If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You may write about Cannibals, Cannibalism, etc. Kind of a morbid topic, but it should have some interesting results.

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,500 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Clare

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! omg, i never thought this would EVER become an atual topic!! awesome!

message 3: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune u know it!

message 4: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Whoa!!! creepy!! lol

message 5: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune good writing skills! :) do you have any writing like on your profile?

message 6: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune lol i doubt that!

message 7: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) spooky - but well done

message 8: by Catamorandi (last edited Jul 02, 2009 11:27AM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Randi's story
501 words
no - Short Story Galore

CARNIVORES OR CANNIBALS?

Did you know there was another world out there that is the same as ours? Our world is carnivoristic, while the other is cannibalistic.

How do you tell which is which? You sometimes can't. The cannibals look, talk, walk, and run just like the carnivores.

I saw a boy about one week ago, that I would have been sure he was a cannibal disguising himself as a carnivore. He was probably was one, but you can never be sure about these things. From what I have heard, animal ribs look just like human ribs.

This boy was ravenous, violent, and ripping the meat off the bone. I suspected he was a cannibal, but it could have been a human who just hasn't eaten for a few days. See how tricky this is? There is no real way to identify one from the other.

Another time, I was eating my lunch. There was this man who looked at me the way a human looks when he is about to cut into a nice steak. I thought I was a goner. I thought he was going to get eaten for sure. The strange man looked at me until I got in the car and drove away. I will never forget that day. Well, I guess I should be thankful that I am still alive and in one piece.

Of course, we never venture into their world, because we want to live to see another day. They can come here any time they want and look for good human meat. If they find some, they lure them into their room and cut them into pieces to eat the human. He doesn't know what hit him and neither does anyone else.

I am very cautious to figure out who's from who's world. After all, they look exactly us. I'm positive the man that was watching me while I had lunch was one of them, but I am not sure about the boy.

You can't get away from them. They are in every country and city. They conform themselves into whatever the atmosphere, character, and the language or accent where they live.

It's pretty scary not knowing who you are talking to and whether you will be invited to dinner with you as the main entre'. I don't accept invitations to meals, and I don't make them either. I don't want to have any part of finding myself on someone's plate.

Sometimes, I feel pretty cannibalistic myself. When I see when of those heathens lure their prey into it's web, I want to kill them and cut them into little pieces. I wouldn't eat them, though. The first cannibal that comes can eat him alive. I would never do that, but it makes one wonder what kind of food you are eating.

When I get introduced to someone, I never give them my hand, because I want to know that the whole hand is coming back.

message 9: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Thank you, ButtonLucas

message 10: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune good!

message 11: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Thank you, Clare.

message 12: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
That was just cannibal randi!

message 13: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wow!!! Loved it! very good!

message 14: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments WoW!! Good!!!!

message 15: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Title: Scientific Exploration Into Knitting, Mischief, Rodents and Cannibalism.
Author: Sunny
Words: 1374
Short Stories Contest: Yes
Notes: Moronic. But the footnotes were really fun to do :D

Aunt Alison’s visits are hell. If you took the stereotypically awful aunt from any book written in the last fifty years and dressed her in a maroon hat shaped like a pork pie and you would have Aunt Alison. She comes to stay at our house for about a week every couple of months—to parent us. She had decided that your parent clearly weren’t doing a good enough job of it so she would make her visits to see what new level of evilness we had sunk to and to try and bring some saintly behavior back to us.

Her visits meant that all of us boys had to wear button-up shirts and the girls all had to wear skirts, that the Slipknot and Seether CDs had to be packed away in boxes under the beds and that we couldn’t go on Facebook while Aunt Alison was around because she was convinced that it was a santanical dating sight. And at the end of every trip Aunt Alison would try to convince our parents that all our friends were bad influences and that we should be banned from seeing them.

Every year Mom and Dad tried to not offend her but they never took ant of her advice.

I was sitting in the utility room with the washer and dryer playing a hand-held Gameboy when I heard the arrival of the dreaded and infamous Aunt Alison. I shoved the Gameboy out of sight in the pocket of my hideously pleated pants and swung my feet down from the wall. Aunt Alison had this thing were she would go through the entire house and find each of us to say hello*.

I heard her make her way through the ground floor, saying hello to John, Calli, Jack, Lilly, Morgan, Caleb and of course Mom and Dad. Then she headed upstairs and greeted/kept tabs on Logan, Rachel, Bella, Neal and Maria. She had moved her things into the guest bedroom before she recounted in her head and realized she had missed one.

“Where’s Matt**?” I hear Aunt Alison say.

“He could be in the basement. He has a project going down there,” Mom answered.

The ancient steps creaking and the sound of someone hitting their head on the too-low beam announced Aunt Alison’s arrival. It took her several minutes to find me sitting in the utility room trying not to laugh.

“Knitting?” This was Aunt Alison’s way of starting a conversation apparently. No ‘hello’ or ‘how are you?’ Just ‘knitting?’ with one eyebrow raised.

“Yep, Calli’s teaching me***,” I said, barely able to keep a straight face as I accidentally made I giant knot out of the lavender yarn.

“I see,” she said. Since she couldn’t find anything to criticize about she turned around and went back upstairs.

My peace in the basement didn’t last long though; Bella came stampeding down the stairs to leap into the utility room and yell “Guess what?!?!?!”

“What?” I asked with as little enthusiasm as I could muster.

“I’m physic!! As soon as Aunt Alison pulled up in the driveway I got sick!” she said, bouncing up and down

“That’s fantastic.”

She wasn’t detoured at all by my total lack of interest, instead she grinned some more and noticed the ball of fuzzy crap in my lap.

“What are you doing with Calli’s hat?”

I glanced down. “Oh, is that what its spose to be? I thought it might be a wooly bladder****.”

Bella made a face. “You’re mean. And that hat was supposed to be for me.” She left to go and spread her news about being physic throughout the house.

I followed soon after because my Gameboy battery died. I was able to sneak past Aunt Alison and up to the third floor where I shared a room with my older brother Neal.

I jogged along the hallway to my bedroom and gave Maria’s guinea pig, JoJo, a kick*****. Damn it, JoJo wasn’t even supposed to leave Maria and Lilly’s room! I wasn’t a fan of rodents but I hated guinea pigs****** in particular and JoJo in more particular.

I leapt into my room and threw a pillow at the back of Neal’s head before flopping onto my bed.

Neal threw the pillow back at me and I caught it and shoved it under my head.

“You know Neal,” I said. I had just made eye contact with Nibs, Neal’s pet hamster. “If your hamster was a human, it would be a cannibal.”

Neal looked over at Nibs too. “Probably. But he’d eat you first.”

“Probably. Gosh! I hate rodents so much!” I complained. “And I have to live in a house with sixteen of them, and one of them is living eighteen inches from my head when I’m asleep!”

“You and Aunt Alison have that in common,” Neal commented.

“What, we have cannibalistic rodents living within two feet of our heads?” I asked.

“No, she hates rodents. Way more than even you.” It was probably at this point that the idea first formed in my head but I was distracted from it by Neal adding, “At least you don’t share a room with Caleb, one of his mice just had another five babies.”

I was sufficiently grossed out by the thought of this that The Idea was pushed to the way back of my mind. It wasn’t until dinner when a tiny voice******* reminded me of the idea.

The Idea wasn’t particularly amazing or even imaginative but it was a crime against Aunt Alison so it was worth it. We had been putting up with her for the last fifteen years so we might as well have some fun with it.

One good thing about having twelve kids in the family is that no one notices if you disappear from the table after fifteen minutes. Which was exactly what I did. It took forty-five minutes to transfer all sixteen******** rodent pets to the guest bedroom where Aunt Alison was staying.

By the time I was done I felt fairly proud of myself. I had arranged the animals in a most artistic way; the mice were gathered around the model of Noah’s Ark, the guinea pigs were in her slippers*********, the hamsters were on the bed and the rest I had allowed to wander around on the floor. I smiled; perfect.

I was able to return downstairs and slip into the kitchen unnoticed and I smiled the entire evening, waiting for her to go to bed and for the screams to start. I knew that she wouldn’t leave or anything, she was way to determined and annoying to do anything as nice as that, but she would be twitchy for the rest of her visit**********.

*According to her it was to say hello but I had a feeling that it was to try and catch us in the act of doing something or to try and figure out what we did when she wasn’t there (I had chosen to be in the utility room, pretending to knit to confuse her).

**That’s me.

***Calli wasn’t doing any such thing—probably because I had no desire to learn to knit. She had, however, (unknowingly) donated her latest knitting project to the cause.

****I know. I’m quoting Harry Potter. Bella didn’t know that though.

*****It wasn’t really a kick, it was more of a punt. JoJo only flew about two or three feet and when he landed he was clearly in a good enough mood to glare at me for a couple of seconds and then waddle to Maria’s room to eat some more lettuce.

******Like, honestly, what moron bred it in the first place?? It combines the worst attributes of rodents and pigs!

*******The voice may have been Benjamin, who I haven’t heard from in a really long time.

********There was twenty-one of them if you count each of the tiny hairless baby mice as in individual being.

*********This is how much I hate guinea pigs, that I would actually place them in the tenth level of hell; a place were Aunt Alison’s feet spent a great deal of time.

**********The End.

message 16: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
Invisible was reallly interesting, but sunny I thought yours was awesome, it was really funny and I loved the footnotes especially!

message 17: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune lol that was pretty awesome! :) good idea.

message 18: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Title: Hilltop House
Author: Arthur
Words: 760
Short Stories Contest: Yes

……………..

Hilltop House

There was a sound from a thumping that followed the trailing noise it made into the next room. The one who is escaping was the hunted. Already alerted with maybe a single minute to quickly scurry out the window, slam down the window came and an over turning of a near by shelf, crashing cans unsteady they roll about the sill along the floor in dirt.

Cautiously, Doctor Driptizerlizt steps after Little Eagle into the dirty room. “Did you need to trip from the corner of that shelf Doc?” Little Eagle asks. “I think the little perp got through that loosened window.” Little Eagle said pointing in hope to a window tapping in the wind. The night had come and a chill from a gust ran into the room from the lonely alley outside.
“I did not see it, get the lights.” Doc said, then pointing to a body that lay unnaturally on its side in the rough storage room. “And I don’t think he could of got far,” it looked like another of its victims.
Only this one may have been still alive.
“You’re all in one piece!” Little Eagle said, wringing his hands in his excitement, using his boot to turn the body onto the back. Then he saw gashes in the victim’s neck.

Little Eagle grew up outside of town in what was once considered the nice part of outside town. But when he was growing up at Hilltop House, an orphanage, he soon became another depressed orphan. The orphanage had its own graveyard. This graveyard attracted a lot of attention through the years too. It had many of its residents from the eighteen hundred buried in the Hilltop Graveyard Cemetery. Only next door to his Orphanage were caring and loving family members visiting their loved ones of the afterlife.

When Little Eagle was about thirteen, and a troubled teenager at that, he had watched one of his friends drown at a swimming meet. He thought to himself that others had cheated help causing the accident. He feared it for weeks. But there was never anything after that, except Tommy was buried in the new graveyard dug next door to Hilltop Graveyard Cemetery, on the Orphanage’s own property because in those days the orphanage was new and could not afford buying a plot at the cemetery. Tommy was also the first to die at the orphanage. It brought news and guilt by the public after it was published in many of the national magazines that an orphaned had to be buried at the orphanage after his death because no one could afford to buy from Hilltop Graveyard anymore. The Cemetery’s prices had gone up and up through the years.

Needless to say, years later Tommy’s body had been dug back up after enough money had been raised by charity to have one bought in his honor in the Cemetery. Only that was when the trouble started. Tommy’s body was never buried in the Cemetery next door to the Orphanage. Tommy was never reburied. When the diggers dug him up they found only pieces of him. Parts of Tommy’s actual body were missing. His head, limbs, and segments that had a lot of meat. All that was left was parts not really edible.
That year all the graves of the Hilltop Cemetery were excavated and meant to exhume bodies in an attempt in finding if other bodies had been consumed. There were a good fifty percent of the newer graves dug in the cemetery with body graves desecrated by something authorities claim are mutilations.
Little Eagle thought hard one night after the story hit all the national papers. He thought he was dreaming of the angels coming out at night to take away the spirit of a good person buried when he saw three cloaked figures at Tommy’s grave the night of the burial. Little Eagle watched from his window at night after he couldn’t sleep, for there was no Tommy in the next bunk. Little Eagle told the other Orphans, but would you never guess, they all laughed and jeered Little Eagle about the angels until Tommy’s body in his grave had disappeared.

Twenty years later Little Eagle still hunts the night visitors. He hunts them down to destroy them. Now with Doctor Driptizerlizt to believe Tommy’s story and other things Little Eagle discovered since the pair have tracked down several misunderstood sinister characters. Like this one they nearly caught tonight. This was the first time they caught one in the act of killing the victims.

message 19: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments whoa! O.o spooky, arthor!

thanks clare and olivia :)

message 20: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Very nice, Arthur.

message 21: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Nice eerie bedtime stories! Alright everyone, once you finish reading go to the poll and vote for your favorite story.

**DONE** Please GO Vote!! And no more stories of this topic (next Monday will have a new topic, see you then)

message 22: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Congrats Sunny!

message 23: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

good going Sunny!

message 24: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Congratulations, Sunny!