Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > hot shelves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments how do you chose how you arrange your books on your good reads shelves::are you a traditionalist::or do you prefer more inventive titles like *sexy vampires* ::or maybe *hot guys in leather*::

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Adrienne wrote: "how do you chose how you arrange your books on your good reads shelves::are you a traditionalist::or do you prefer more inventive titles like *sexy vampires* ::or maybe *hot guys in leather*::"

Yeah! You took my suggestion!

I tend to go the traditional route, but I am seriously thinking of changing my shelves around a bit. :)

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments i've just thought of another one *damsels in distress*::good one for hr readers:::

my shelves are boring boring boring::can't decide which way to go tho'::

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments that's it im re-doing my shelves. I want some fun names mine is too boring

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments ok I need a name for my highlanders
men in kilts ? or sexy highlanders?

message 6: by J.D. (new)

Lauren wrote: "ok I need a name for my highlanders
men in kilts ? or sexy highlanders? "

Men in Kilts is better!
I just organized my shelves. I'm going to rename my shelves tomorrow. LOL After re-organizing ALL my books...Im taking a break! LOL
I made a shelf for carriage scenes, paranormal romance,unique romance, and steamiest HR FINALLY. LOL

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I have a habenero shelf :)

message 8: by J.D. (new)

I was thinking of re-naming my Steamiest HR shelf to "too hot to handle" or something like that...

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments oh i like that one
i just named my steamy romance but i like yours better

message 10: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments I guess I'm boring, because my shelves are mainly done by genre/sub-genre. I do have theme lists on my website, but it's too much work to manage in two places.

message 11: by new_user (last edited Jun 29, 2009 11:38PM) (new)

new_user LOL. I love those shelves. Mine are kind of boring, but it makes it easy for me to find info. They're at least a little more specific than genre, probably because I'm cataloging only a few genres, LOL.

message 12: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I like Pamela's "Habenero" shelf :D

The only unusual one I have is my "Books with Cooties" shelf for all those bad reads :) Otherwise it's Read/To Read/Currently reading/Wishlist ...you get the picture (lol!)

message 13: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments What are cooties? Sorry be dumb but i've never heard i them.

message 14: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Pamela wrote: "I have a habenero shelf :)"

I enjoy that one, Pamela! East's Cootie Shelf is creative, too.

message 15: by Auntee (new)

Auntee It took me a while to figure out the 'habenero' shelf--not that experienced with hot peppers!

message 16: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Can someone please explain what a cootie is?

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Adrienne wrote: "Can someone please explain what a cootie is?"

I'm not absolutely sure but I know boys had them when I was young :)

message 18: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments cooite is something like lice

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa it's like fake germs - it's a teasing word

like when kids are little and girls hate boys and boys hate girls they say the other has cooties

it think it's a term that has come down through the generations - i think it really means lice

so if something has cooties - it's deemed gross

does that help?

message 20: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments This is all foreign to me.

message 21: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Melissa wrote: "it's like fake germs - it's a teasing word

like when kids are little and girls hate boys and boys hate girls they say the other has cooties

it think it's a term that has come down through the..."

I think our posts crossed:). So am i right in thinking that if you have a cootie shelf it's books you think are rubbish?

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Adrienne wrote: "This is all foreign to me. "

So glad we could spread the culture around.

(Not!)

You learn something old every day.

message 23: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Sorry I'm in the UK we don't have cooties here,sorry if I'm being a pain i really don't mean to be.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Adrienne wrote: "Sorry I'm in the UK we don't have cooties here,sorry if I'm being a pain i really don't mean to be."

You're not being a pain! It's one of those silly childhood words that stays with your vocabulary. Clearly an American thing. It's actually quite useful sometimes. :)

message 25: by Auntee (new)

Auntee This is from Wikipedia (about cooties)...
From its original meaning of head or body lice, the term seems to have evolved into a purely imaginary stand-in for anything repulsive.

message 26: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Thank you Auntee.

message 27: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I'm trying to convince my 9yr old that the boys have cooties but she doesn't care (lol)

message 28: by Eastofoz (last edited Jun 30, 2009 09:54PM) (new)

Eastofoz LOL! Cooties are (fake) germs, something icky (never heard of it being lice though) where I'm from. Kids say it to each other like everyone else already said and it's usually a boy/girl thing. Now of course you could have "cootie locks" and this protects you from cooties (lol!) So Adrienne, my 'cootie shelf' is basically for all those bad books I've read that you should stay away from --though many people would say otherwise (lol!).

Auntee, I had to ask Pamela what the "habenero" shelf meant (!)

Pamela, I guess cooties don't work anymore (lol!) I wonder what they're calling "them" now :p

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) lol cootie locks. I so remember that! childhood silliness at it's best.

message 30: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Eastofoz wrote: "LOL! Cooties are (fake) germs, something icky (never heard of it being lice though) where I'm from. Kids say it to each other like everyone else already said and it's usually a boy/girl thing. No..."

Thanks for clearing that one up for me East. I originally thought the shelf was for books you "should" hate,but really love, so now i now better:).

message 31: by J.D. (new)

LOL "Ewwww you have cooties!" hehehe I remember that!

I'm pretty sure a little boy made this up just, because he liked a girl and didn't want anyone to know it. So, he wanted everyone to think the he thought she was gross. LOL Boys will be boys!

message 32: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz LOL JOy! I remember the cootie 'squeals' and then the running away like a bat out of hell (lol!!!)

message 33: by J.D. (new)

Little kids are so funny. I think the "cookie" epidemic has died down a little. I rarely hear little ones screaming it out in fear anymore! LOL

On another note, I am so relieved to have my selves organized. :) I do need to think up some cool names though...

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Pamela wrote: "I'm trying to convince my 9yr old that the boys have cooties but she doesn't care (lol)"

LOL, Pamela. Never bothered me either. In fact, used to be a tomboy when I was a kid. The girls bored me, LOL.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic i like some shelves I've seen that make me want to click them. so unique names do help to bring people to your shelf. for me though i like "ease to find while searching". I have 800 plus books and it ain't getting any smaller. So I break my categories off into bite sizes. If a book is paranormal (Atlantean warriors + vampires + demons etc) I tag them paranormal. I have learned it is better to have a bah-gillion shelves with just a few titles. Than a few shelves with a hundred books each, lol. I do like the hot shelves I have seen but I like mine just fine too.

message 36: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 my shelves are pretty boring....i need to spice it up a little. right now all i have is read, tbr, wish list, and currently reading.

message 37: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 13, 2009 06:29AM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments My shelves are boring to! I still can't decide on the best way to organize/arrange. And my TBR shelf is way out of hand...I keep adding books and now have 200+ titles on there. But haven't really accounted for when I'm going to read them all. The problem is all the books that sound good/pique my interest go on there I could really do with another shelf where I can put the ones I definately want/need to read.

message 38: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I need more shelves too but can't think up more. In my head I group books by genre. I could come up with a favorites list but that's about it.

message 39: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I'm finding that a few of the books I chose are e-books so I may set a shelf up for those.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments what do you guys do when u have a book and no idea what to shelf to put on? i just made a shelf that says ...SOUNDS-GOOD and i put them in there.

message 41: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) I LIKE East's cootie shelf! Her best reviews are hidden away there. =)

I have a books-with-nookie shelf and a wallbanger shelf. Must haves in my opinion. Otherwise, I'm very lazy and boring in naming my shelves.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments i love the nookie shelf

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I have way too many shelves with oblique names that probably mean nothing to no one but myself. For instance, I have a sexual harrassment shelf (which is basically books where the boss has a relationship with his employer). I am trying to be good and stop making shelves but I can't help myself. Goodreads is bad for my OCD issues.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "I have way too many shelves with oblique names that probably mean nothing to no one but myself. For instance, I have a sexual harrassment shelf (which is basically books where the boss has a relati..."

i hear ya im obssessed with goodreads. im constantly udating and thinking of new shelves or rearranging them.

message 45: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I need some more creative names for my sci-fi and paranormal type shelves. I got "beam me up scottie for scifi but would love some better suggestions. Got any creative folks out there?

message 46: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Tammy that "nookie" one is cute ;)

message 47: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments What about "little green men"? or "flying saucers"? or "ET and friends"?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic haha this is a good idea when you need ur friends help =D

message 49: by J.D. (new)

Adrienne wrote: "My shelves are boring to! I still can't decide on the best way to organize/arrange. And my TBR shelf is way out of hand...I keep adding books and now have 200+ titles on there. But haven't really ..."
I have my to-read shelve, but then the books I REALLY want to read I divide into other shelves. "wishlist, romance wishlist, library wishlist, Own-to-read, etc." That way it easier for me to locate the different books on my to-read shelf. LOL I have like 350-400 books on my to-read shelf...
The power of goodreads is to overwhelm me with books I want to read. LOL

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I like Adrienne's suggestions. You might even do it by topic. I have pulp fiction, sword and sorceror, and I'm going to have a shelf for weird westerns. I thought about having a shelf called 'the haunted sea' for ghost stories or scary sea stories. And when it comes to romance I have all kinds of shelves for various themes.

« previous 1 3