Islam discussion

Shiffin War..how did it ends?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deena (new)

Deena | 16 comments First, I should remind you about the Shiffin war where Sayyidinah Ali bin Abi Thalib r.a. stands on one side while Aisyah binti Abu Bakr r.a. stands on the other (Aisyah stands in Mu'awiyah bin Abu Sofyan's side)

I'm quite confused how two of the best moslems -both has been promised jannah for their afterlife- involved in a war between moslems.

I realise the history behind it is complicated, and that humans doesn't always have the same opinion. But does anyone know how was the relationships between Ali and Aisyah after the war? Did they realise whose wrong and whose not? Or you can recommend books on this theme. Thanks

Wassalamu'alaikum wr. wb.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

interesting topic, Deena, hopefully someone here will know.

message 3: by elliss (new)

elliss (syaeeranasirymailcom) | 1 comments yes.. a very interesting topic and i would like to know about the answer as well.. so, someone? anyone?

message 4: by Not Bill (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Not Bill | 32 comments Heyas all - my first comment here. I'm hopeful that this will prove a fruitful dialogue. That said, I do intend to "chew the fat".

First off, Deena - you seem conflicted - and unnecessarily so. Islam is like most great religions. Great religions often include great divisions. Christianity had any number of wars between Catholic and Protestant - just to name a few. We also have the great schism of Shia and Sunni. So, to my question, is the historical fact of the Shiffin War in conflict with your understanding of Islam and if so how?

Also - I haven't see a post on the issue of resolution of the Shiffin War. I'll look into it and post if I find anything of substance.