Ender's Jeesh discussion

Children of the Mind

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I've just finished reading this (which I totally loved) and it brought back so much of the first three Ender books, all of which I read quite some years ago. I was scrolling through all the Reviews and isn't it fascinating how they range from 1 star to 5 stars?!

What I particularly loved in this book is the descriptions of the way Jane 'talks' with the Hive Queen and with the Mothertrees (and so on).

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob | 9 comments Wow, this isn't a very popular thread. Too bad, very good books. I did like children of the mind, I read it way too quickly. I should probably try reading that one over again. I read all Orson Scott Card books too fast.

message 3: by Jacki (new)

Jacki (Tanaisy) | 1 comments I have the same problem, reading them to fast. I liked the Shadow series better than the Ender series. Personally, Speaker for the Dead was my favorite Ender book.

message 4: by Bob (new)

Bob | 9 comments Right, you can't get a whole lot out of the book when you read it in 2 days. I really need to go back and reread the whole series. I have read enders game it self like 3 times. Speaker for the dead was the first one I read. I was confused at first, but it stands as a novel on its own.

message 5: by RJ (new)

RJ (hawk5391yahoocom) I didn't really like Children of the Mind. I originally read Ender and Speaker way back when they came out, then I re-read them when Xenocide came out which (I thought) concluded the trilogy. When the fourth book came out I pledged to re-read the books but never got around to it until a little over a year ago when the Ender movie came out (I thought it was OK but my daughter loved it). I started reading the books again with the original Ender's Game and discovered I still loved the book even after years had gone by. Being older (and wiser?) this time I enjoyed Speaker more than my first time through, but still not as much as the original. I enjoyed Xenocide on my re-read more than my first time through, but I still think OSC gets too "talky" in this book, which also carries over to Children of the Mind.

What I mean by "talky" (for lack of a better word) is that large portions of the book involve long stretches of dialogue in which characters talk about what's happened, what's currently happening, and what might happen in the future. There's very little action for large stretches, just a lot of talking that does very little to advance the story. One of the "rules" of creative writing is to show the action instead of telling about it, and I feel like OSC went through a stretch for several years where he completely ignored this "rule." OSC did the same thing in Alvin 4-5, which makes those books drag too, unfortunately.