Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > cool book catalogs

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Hey! What cool book catalogs do you guys get? I only get one and I've been feeling a void lately.

I get Daedalus--800-395-2665.

I was thinking we could all share the book catalogs we really like and the 800 numbers. I would love to get some new, really good book catalogs to flip through.

Thanks!

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I get the internet. That's my favorite book catalog:)

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I get that one, too.

Anyone here remember the Whole Earth Catalog?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We used to get the Whole Earth Catalog.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Leslie- The Daedalus outlet store is near my house. Don't be jealous. :)

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) What's a book catalog? I might have had one and never know it's name. I think. Dunno.

I surf the inter-webs.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Oh man! I am jealous!! You are so lucky!
We used to have The Whole Earth Catalog, too!
Am I the only one into flipping through a real book catalog? Oh well :(

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Yep, I think catalog shopping is a dying form, but I AM jealous of Sarah's proximity to the Daedalus outlet. Hey isn't that free book place in Baltimore, too?

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments How sad--another of life's pleasures gone the way of the telegram. I always used to think that one day I would get a telegram. Jimmy Stewart and Jean Harlow and all of them used to get them all the time. One day I'd be sitting in my living room, flipping through a good book catalog that just came in the mail, and the doorbell would ring. A teenage boy in a uniform and mini-pillbox hat would say, "Telegram for Leslie Wells." and I would sign for it and then go back in and open it and it would say, "Leslie STOP Your uncle in Paraguay is in trouble STOP Needs assistance STOP Come immediately STOP" and then I would run in my room, pack my steamer trunk and book the next ship to Paraguay, buy a machete and resuce my uncle who is being held by a band of blood thirsty natives in the middle of the rain forest.
Oh well, guess life is just meant to be mundane--no more book catalogs,no telegrams, no steamer trunks, no uncles in Paraguay, not even blood thirsty natives. Now I have to be pc and say indigineous peoples practicing centuries-old customs.
Bummer :(

message 10: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Sadly, you can't even ride steerage across the ocean any longer. Sure things are faster, but does that necessarily mean that they're better now?

message 11: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I've never flown out of the country (or driven or paddled or anything else), but I'm not sure I could handle that long on a plane. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I would need to take a bendryll before the flight.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Steerage doesn't sound too appealing--but lots of other things that we don't have any more do.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I used to get Daedalus. I've been getting Edward R. Hamilton http://edwardrhamilton.com/ - I ordered the DVDs of The Jewel in the Crown from them. They offer mostly remaindered books and DVDs, new, not used. I've ordered 2-3 things from them in the past few years, not a whole lot. I didn't find Daedalus's catalog all that useful.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.