Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > Night Shade Susan Witting Albert

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments

Rating 4.5 The story in Nightshadewith the introduction of the back story of her father and China's early years. The story is further told in Bleeding Heartswhen more history comes to light. In this novel, it all comes together and all the unanswered questions will be answered. Albert writes the story so you don't need to read the other two books to know what is going on but for the details it is recommended to read these books in order. China is dealing with the facts of her father's death 16 yrs ago and it may not be the story she was told over the years. McQuaid her husband takes charge of getting answers to the many questions and mystery surrounding his death and as he unravels the truth, many things happen. It may seem a wild goose chase with the evidence being 16 yrs old and many people either dead or eldery and their memories don't recall details. I am being vague as not to give away any plot that could spoil this series. I enjoyed seeing chapters that gave us McQuaid point of view, usually he is supportive of China and her knack for solving mysteries in the community. I missed seeing the old Gang of Ruby, Sheila and the rest. They pop up early in the story and then we don't see them again until the end. Next story is Wormwoodand I can't wait to see the next direction China takes and how the outcome of this novel will affect her life.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 161 comments I think I may have read one book in this series, but I'm not sure. It sounds like a series I would like to read. I'll try to check on it sometime, when I'm not so busy working in the yard. NJ

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments Nancy wrote: "I think I may have read one book in this series, but I'm not sure. It sounds like a series I would like to read. I'll try to check on it sometime, when I'm not so busy working in the yard. NJ"

They are easy reads, I would pretty much consider them on the cozy side. China runs an herb shop and over the books we watch her life grow and change in different directions. Since you mention working in the yard,you might really enjoy them since she discusses China's garden and such.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 161 comments Yes, Teresa, it really appeals to me. I will look for her books again. I'm sure I read one in the past. Now I can ask for books from the library and they tap into any library in our county, --so if our library doesn't have it, they can probably get it for me. NJ

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Teresa wrote: "

Rating 4.5 The story in Nightshadewith the introduction of the back story of her father and China's early years. The story is further told in Bleeding Heartswhen more history comes to light. In..."

I read

Nightshade (China Bayles Mystery, Book 16) by Susan Wittig Albert last year when it came out and gave it a 9.5. I really like this series and still can't believe it took me so long to pick one of them up. I think I started with Chile Death (China Bayles Mystery, Book 7) by Susan Wittig Albert and then went back and read all of them except for the very first one. I read Wormwood (China Bayles Mystery, Book 17) by Susan Wittig Albert back in April. It's not one of my favorites in the series.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Teresa, Nancy Jane and Melodie:
I really like this series too and recommend it. I thought Nightshade was a good entry in the series and liked how McQuaid was included in the investigation. I have Wormwood in my library tbr pile now. I thought I was more current. I have read eleven of the seventeen books in the series. To me, the later ones have gotten better.

Melodie wrote: "I really like this series and still can't believe it took me so long to pick one of them up. I think I started with Nightshade and then went back and read all of them except for the very first one. I read Wormwood back in April. It's not one of my favorites in the series. .."

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments Melodie wrote: "Teresa wrote: "

Rating 4.5 The story in Nightshadewith the introduction of the back story of her father and China's early years. The story is further told in Bleeding Heartswhen more history com..."

Any reason why you havent read the first one? I am anxious to see where the direction of China goes next since her past has been explained, I want more ruby : )

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments Ann wrote: "Teresa, Nancy Jane and Melodie:
I really like this series too and recommend it. I thought Nightshade was a good entry in the series and liked how McQuaid was included in the invest..."

You are pretty current: ) LOL these are easy comfortable reads.

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Teresa wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Teresa wrote: "

Rating 4.5 The story in Nightshadewith the introduction of the back story of her father and China's early years. The story is further told in Bleeding Heartswhen ..."

Just never picked the first one up for some reason. Don't see any reason to go back to it now.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments Every time I see the title Nightshade, I wonder if I would have an intolerance to the book because I have an intolerance to everything in the nightshade family--potatoes,tomatoes,eggplant and roses. Should I add the Susan Wittig Albert novel to the list?

Shomeret

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3641 comments Shomeret wrote: "Every time I see the title Nightshade, I wonder if I would have an intolerance to the book because I have an intolerance to everything in the nightshade family--potatoes,tomatoes,eggplant and roses..."

Probably! I don't see you liking this series, Shom. But you could surprise me and like them alot!

message 12: by Alyce (new)

Alyce Joines (afladream) | 11 comments Melodie wrote: "I think I started with Chile Death (China Bayles Mystery, Book 7) and then went back and read all of them

Melodie, this was the first one I read as well. My sister, niece and I were on a beach trip and I drove them nuts talking about the types of peppers in the food on restaurant menus!