Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Just some help.

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Hi people!!
Well, i am heading to Florida in a week and half, so i wanted to buy some books. Any must-read suggestions?
Thanks guys. you rock!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I saw that you had Water for Elephants and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles on your to-read list.
Both of those books are really good.
I like The Wind Up Bird better, but it isn't light and fluffy summer reading if that is what you are looking for.
Light and fluffy, but also good is the Sookie Stackhouse series...if you like reading about vampires and the such.
If you have either never read To Kill a Mockingbird, or haven't read it since you were in high school, then that is an excellent book to read in the summer I think.
I am not sure what your tastes are, but there are a few suggestions. :)

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm really enjoying The Elegance of the Hedgehog. It's not an easy read, but nor is it difficult, per se, but it is absorbing and interesting.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife? That was amazing!

message 5: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments @Julie: thanks so much. Yeap, i already bought Water for Elephants and The Wind up Chronicles. I live in Panama, and To Kill a Mockingbird is unknown for us during high school, since we read spanish and latin literature in school. So now that i'm 20 something i'm loving to read books in English.

@Sally, thanks so much, i'll add The Elegande of the Hedgehog to my list. Hope it won't be so difficult for me!

@Leslie: thanks!! i wasn't so sure about it but i read the synopsis of the book and it sounds amazing! i'll definitely buy that one.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments have a great trip!

message 7: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments thanks!

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments back to FL karen??? what about your big project??

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

You know, Charly, you and I usually don't disagree about books, but I don't think she should read Hiaasen. Unless she's over 40, white, male, and from the midwest she won't get it.

But I'm sure he's great. Just a bit too Dave Barry for fiction.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Sally - Elegance of the Hedgehog just came for me from the libes, it's next on my list.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

:)

message 12: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "back to FL karen??? what about your big project??"
Yeap Kev, back to FL for a couple of days. This trip was totally unexpected but my fairy godmother gave it too me as a gift, she knows how much i miss my second parents and my cousins, who are like my sisters. So i'll be able to be at her birthday (the older one)!
About the project, i still am waiting for the theme approval but i am doing so research already!

message 13: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Charly wrote: "If you haven't read any Carl Hiaasen Florida based novels you are in for a treat. Funny, quick reads."

Thanks!! I'll keep in mind Sally's comment though hahaha. I'll check him and then decide.

@Sally: Dave Barry? fiction ha?! Great i am a fiction lover.

message 14: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Charly wrote: "Most of my family ranging from 25 to me at 62 have read and enjoyed Hiaasen. "

Well then, i am going to check them anyways! In fact i am going to check online some of his books, right now! Thanks Charly.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments karencilla - so glad you are coming back as i know you had a great time last visit. hope you have a great time. keep in touch mi amiga

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori I've read a couple of his books. Very light, easy and enjoyable reads.

message 17: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "karencilla - so glad you are coming back as i know you had a great time last visit. hope you have a great time. keep in touch mi amiga"

Claro que si mi amigo! thanks so much. I am so happy to be able to see them again!! =)

Lori wrote: "I've read a couple of his books. Very light, easy and enjoyable reads."
From who? Hiaasen?

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Yup! Can't remember which ones tho. Strip Tease was one I think.

message 19: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Thanks Lori!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Karencilla,

If you liked the Wind up Bird Chronicles, you may also like Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is a pretty good read.

Have fun with your family.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I concur with Jim.

message 22: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Jim, i haven't read yet the Wind up Bird Chronicles, is in my bookshelf waiting for me, i want to finish Bray's trilogy so i am reading the last book.
But i read the first pages of the wind up bird and i was totally hooked into the story. I bet i am going to like it. I'll check Kafka on the Shore thanks!

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hey, i need a book

message 24: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "hey, i need a book
"

which one? haha

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What kind of book, Kevin?

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin, did you ever try The Soul Thief A Novel? It was the best book I read this spring.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Kevin, if you liked The World Without Us, you might appreciate Hot, Flat, and Crowded Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America by Thomas Friedman.

Or anything by Mary Roach. I loved Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love Thomas Friedman. I'd carry his children if he needed me to.

Another good one:The Inner Circle, or Drop City, or really anything by TC Boyle but his short stories. Those are tedious.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks sally, i do need a novel really as i have been reading non-fiction so much lately (i have been obsessed with malcolm gladwell). i have put it on hold at the library.

jackie - i LOVED the world without us. i was talking about it this week as i work at a project site in an abandoned factory. i need to investigate thomas friedman. thanks for all the suggestions. i do not read near as much in the summer as i am out and going so much but i do read some every night.

and mindy - i already love the title.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sally wrote: "I love Thomas Friedman. I'd carry his children if he needed me to.

Another good one:The Inner Circle, or Drop City, or really anything by TC Boyle but his short storie..."

One of my best friends wrote a book about TC Boyle:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62...

(We're not friends on Goodreads, by the way, because we share way too many real-life students who I don't want bugging me on GR.)

Sally, I'm back to Hidden Camera after a detour with Ross Macdonald. I'm about fifty pages in...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "hey, i need a book
"

Kevin, even though you aren't a Packer fan, When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi is a good sports related book. Not that much about the Packers.

And you seem to like Detective novels, so you might like Blue Cheer by Ed Lynskey.

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments That's funny Sally. I love TC Boyle, not for his novels, which I find achingly slow and difficult to get into (note: I've only read Drop City and Riven Rock) but for his short stories. I treat myself to one from his collected Stories whenever I'm feeling blue.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

huh. Perhaps I should give them another try. I'd always loved his rich character development in his novels, and obviously meticulously researched settings.

I like short stories, and I like TC Boyle. I'm going to give it another go.

message 35: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Has anybody read "The Shadow of the Wind" and/or "The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón?

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori I loved Shadow of the Wind!

message 37: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 82 comments Was the book originally written in spanish?

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Or anything by Mary Roach. I loved Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers."

Thanks for this post. One of the people I follow is now reading "bonk," so I ran over here to ask if anyone was familiar with it. Between the input in TC and in the other GR reviews, I think it's worth checking out. Now I'm off to see if our local library has it (ha! a book about sex in a Utah library? good luck!).

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mary Roach is great, Phil. Sometimes what she writes about makes me cringe, but it's always fascinating. :)

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like visualizing Phil "running" between different rooms of GR.

message 41: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Like in a horror movie- lights, dark, labyrinth, different doors, zombies......

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Zombies!

message 43: by Knarik (last edited Feb 25, 2010 08:41PM) (new)

Knarik us (;
(in a good sense)

message 44: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sally wrote: "I like visualizing Phil "running" between different rooms of GR."

Whew, I've been running a while, but I managed to get Mary Roach's "Bonk" transferred to my local library, and now I'm heading over to my GR shelves to add it to the "read" pile.

Funny, funny book. Not sure if I'm ready for "Stiff," but I would recommend "Bonk."

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ha! I found sections of Bonk to have a much higher squirm factor than Stiff, Phil.

message 46: by Mary (last edited Mar 20, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I had no idea what Bonk might be about until I Googled it. I think the correct title should be Boink. I often refer to "boinking", but when I am going to "bonk" someone it means I am going to hit them over the head with a blunt object.

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
Sally wrote: "I love Thomas Friedman. I'd carry his children if he needed me to.
"

:::writhes:::

message 48: by Naveed (new)

Naveed Ahmad | 1 comments thats great sally

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hey! Stop writhing!