Book Haven discussion

Mystery > Favorite mystery authors

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I LOVE Kay Hooper!
Her Bishop series is to die for. I think it is interesting how the series consists of a special unit of the FBI that contains people with supernatural abilities.
Coming in a close second would be Lisa Jackson.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa An author I just found is Carol O'Connell. She has two stand alone novels and a nine book (so far) series. Her writing is amazing. The mysteries are always so great and they twist this way and that and I've never been completely right at guessing the whodunit! Her main character is this ice queen, tough as nails cop in NYC and the book sort of revolves around her, but is told more from the other people in her life. I'm on book 8 and I've been trying to savor them because I'm almost caught up!

Another of my very favorites is the Maggody series by Joan Hess. Small town cop and the crazy characters in the small town make these books laugh out loud funny. The writing is great. I'm waiting for the next one due out early next year. Just thinking about them makes me want to go back and reread a few!

One more favorite I can think of is the MacAfee Twins series by Jennifer Colt. Good and funny mysteries. The twins and their extended family make these great stories even without the mystery plot.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I used to love Mary Higgins Clark, and do still like her for a fun read. However, I discovered that once I read too much of the same mystery author their mysteries became easy to solve within the first few chapters because you could figure out how they worked so now I'm thinking in general it may be best to move around before you have the author "figured out".

However, I did LOVE The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. His second book is being released in the USA in late July. If anyone picks it up though get past the first few chapters before you decided anything. Starts a little bit slow and business technical, but definitely becomes engrossing as you move through that.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I typically read Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who...books. They are different then most other mystery books because they in fact do have a very smart cat involved, though he isn't the true main character. I love them. They are quick, easy to get into, and entertaining.

I've read some of Mary Higgins Clark's book and they are pretty good, but I haven't really had the chance to just sit down and enjoy one.

message 5: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) I like Agatha Christie, and I went through a Mary Higgins Clark phase when I was a young teen. I like Tami Hoag too. I feel like I am forgetting someone who was also a female mystery writer along the same lines of Mary Higgins Clark.

message 6: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) I forgot Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, and the Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I just got Brimstone today. I'm so excited.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) OH I forgot Agatha Christie! I've only read one of her books so far but I loved her style, only bad thing was it keep me up at night for the fear of someone coming to kill me. lol

message 8: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I've always enjoyed James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. :) But that's as far as I've gone into Mystery.

message 9: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Chasidy wrote: "I've always enjoyed James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. :) But that's as far as I've gone into Mystery."

A lot of the people in my family like James Patterson, but I've never read anything by him...

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I was really into James Patterson's Alex Cross series the summer between Sophomore and Junior year of high school. I was taking a dreadfully boring summer school class and spent a good deal of the time reading Kiss the Girls and Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, Book 5) I believe.
It's not a bad series if you like Patterson.

message 11: by Chasidy (last edited Jul 08, 2009 02:01PM) (new)

Chasidy I flew through those WMC books like I had wings! LOL, I could not put the books down. I know the 8th book is either out or should be coming out soon. You might want to check out the first book in the series, "1st to Die".

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I like mystery books but i haven't really read a lot of them I have read James patterson and Lawrence Sanders. Sanders' Mcnally series cracked it me up more then it was a mystery but i still liked them.

Any one know who I should check out for some real on the edge of my seat mysteries?

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa On the edge? I would recommend anything by Brad Meltzer. From almost page one, the characters are off and running for their lives trying to figure things out. My favorite is The Millionaires.

Charlie Huston has a trilogy that's the same way. He's my favorite :) Starts with Caught Stealing A Novel, then Six Bad Things A Novel, and ends with A Dangerous Man A Novel.

Lisa Scottoline has a series starring strong, female lawyers that are good. Lots of suspense and good plots. I've only read half of them, but loved them all.

Not so much on the edge, but close is a series by J.A. Konrath staring Jacquelyn "Jack" Daniels, female cop in chicago. Starts with Whiskey Sour and they are all named after drinks. Also, Linwood Barclay is always a great mystery. He has a four book series, starting with Bad Move and a few stand alones. He's a great writer.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments Hi Melissa
thank you for the suggestions. I have added the Millionaires and the Jack daniels ones.

message 15: by Lynda (new)

Lynda My favorites, hmm, Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Agatha Christie, Dell Shannon, Clarence Buddington Kelland (Check the library), Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe), J.D. Robb (Eve Dallas), and Dorothy Sayers (Lord Peter Whimsey). These are the main ones. There are others I like, but these are the ones that I have kept everything they wrote.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I read Doyle's The Sign of Four in college and really enjoyed the story, but I think what I found to be more interesting was the formula for the mysteries and what he brought to the genre of mystery as a whole.

message 17: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nathaniel_) Lauren

It may be to gritty, but I've really enjoyed Laura Lippmann "What the Dead Know".

Ms. Lippmann is the wife of David Simon, who wrote the HBO series "The Wire". It was about drugs and crime and had a lot of grit to it, but it was also, taken together Mr. Simon's look at his hometown, Baltimore, and how it is/was falling apart.

Anyway, Ms. Lippmann also writes about Baltimore and they're not as gritty, but....you're mileage may vary.

I really like Brad Meltzer, but I think his early stuff is better than the more recent stuff. (The Millionaires is a good suggestion.)

message 18: by Rawan (new)

Rawan  (rawanmohd) | 1 comments John Green :)