Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > New YA books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Rachel Hawthorne is a new YA author who is writing a series called "Dark Guardian". I have only read the first book in the series, but I thought that is was an admirable beginning!

The series is about werewolves who find their mates. I fully recommend it!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user That one sounded really interesting, but everyone said it was predictable. Maybe I'll try it anyway.

message 3: by J.D. (new)

new_user wrote: "That one sounded really interesting, but everyone said it was predictable. Maybe I'll try it anyway."

It is predictable...but sweet. It would a cute book to get for a younger teen, b/c it is very PG. I enjoyed it...

message 4: by J.D. (new)

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is another semi-new YA book. It was a little hurried, and I thought that the author should have expanded more on the relationship between the two main characters...but it was still enjoyable.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Has anyone read City of Bones and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare? The covers have a great endorsement by Stephenie Meyer and my son said they are funny. I know I have heard him sit and laugh while reading them.

City of Glass just came out, too, but it's hardcover.

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

I can't be 100% sure that they are YA, but if Meyer endorses them they must be ok.

message 6: by J.D. (last edited Jun 27, 2009 11:58PM) (new)

:) I have. I also made a post in the "specific author" folder for her, if you want to check it out. This is a great suggestion. I didn't even think to mention it in the YA folder, but I should have. LOL

You're right, she is a YA author, and an amazing one. I didn't read city of glass yet, but I plan too. One of the characters is named Jace, and he quickly became my favorite. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish My son loved the books...he wouldn't put them down.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Uniquely Moi wrote: "My son loved the books...he wouldn't put them down."

That is how I was. I have a huge soft spot for YA books. They are very creative, and light reads. Some of my favs are YA. Cassandra Clare is def. one of the best! :)

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm finally reading City of Glass. I had to wait for two of my kids to finish it before they'd let me near it! They definitetly hook you right from the beginning.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm finally reading City of Glass. I had to wait for two of my kids to finish it before they'd let me near it! They definitetly hook you right from the beginning."

Really I have them on my list. Haven't had a chance to get any of them yet.

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Richelle Mead's 4th Vampire Academy book Blood Promise comes out on the 25th {for americans} and the 26th for australians.

message 12: by J.D. (new)

Ellen♥ wrote: "Richelle Mead's 4th Vampire Academy book Blood Promise comes out on the 25th {for americans} and the 26th for australians."

I know, I am sooo excited! I'm going to get it the first day it comes out! :)

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Aug 22, 2009 07:08AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish The Study Series, Poison Study, Magic Study and Fire Study
by Maria V. Snyder is one of those crossover books like Twilight was, and even has it's own YA covers now. Anyway...

A spin-off, The Glass Series, is out. Storm Glass was released just a couple months ago and I picked up the latest book, Sea Glass at Barnes and Noble yesterday. They are both excellent series' if you're interested.

message 14: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Hey guess what I just heard?!
'What?'
Cassandra Clare has decided to write a fourth Mortal Instruments book!

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm having deja vu. The same thing happened with Stephenie Meyer and the Twilight series. I knew Cassandra Clare was going back to the beginning and writing another trilogy. I'm happy about that. Not sure she needed a fourth in the current series. Don't know if this is good news or potential bad news.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm looking forward to:

Gena Showalter Intertwined
Michelle Rowen Demon Princess Reign or Shine

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish My 28 year old daughter just started the Uglies series and LOVES it. She said it's great for YAs.

message 18: by J.D. (new)

Ellen ♥ wrote: "Hey guess what I just heard?!
'What?'
Cassandra Clare has decided to write a fourth Mortal Instruments book!"

Yep. By what I hear it is more of a prequel of sorts...but I could be totally wrong...

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Yeah, she is writing a fourth MI book, mainly about simon. And she is writing a prequel series set 150years back. The fourth MI comes out in 2011 and the prequel comes out some time next year.
The clockwork Princess- I think that is the first one

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Ellen Hopkins has a new book coming out this September. It's called "Fallout", part of the Crank trilogy.