Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Upcoming shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
What are the upcoming shows that you are excited about?

I am anxiously awaiting Vampire Diaries! It is based on L.J. Smith's series, which I absolutely loved when I was a teenager! :)
I am also excited about Eastwich, and V!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I'm looking forward to Vampire Diaries. I read one of the books way back when, and the whole tug-of-war between the brothers was interesting. I also really like Paul Wesley. ;)

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm looking forward to Vampire Diaries as well. I'm really dying for Supernatural to start up again! I'm hoping Glee will do well since I really liked the pilot they aired in May. I'm peeved that Melrose Place is making a come back like 90210. I watched a few of the first new 90210 episodes and I couldn't stand it. Guess I'm thinking the new Melrose will be more of the same.

message 4: by J.D. (new)

new_user wrote: "Yeah, I'm looking forward to Vampire Diaries. I read one of the books way back when, and the whole tug-of-war between the brothers was interesting. I also really like Paul Wesley. ;)"

Did you read Nightfall? I LOVE L.J. Smith, but I was so disappointed in that book. It made me sad, b/c I waited about 12 yrs for her to release a new book, and then it wasn't nearly as good as her previous books. :(

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa OH NO! Say it isn't so, Joy! I'm planning on rereading the first four Vampire Diaries just so I can read Nightfall! I've got it sitting here on my bookshelf winking at me! I hope I'm not as disappointed as you are. I too have been waiting a long time for more of Elena and the brothers.

message 6: by J.D. (new)

Melissa wrote: "OH NO! Say it isn't so, Joy! I'm planning on rereading the first four Vampire Diaries just so I can read Nightfall! I've got it sitting here on my bookshelf winking at me! I hope I'm not as dis..."
I'm sorry. The rest of the series is still wonderful...I re-read them before reading Nightfall. LJS tried to fit too much into Nightfall, and I didn't feel that she stayed true to the characters. Plus Elena/Stephan are VERY irritating in the beginning of Nightfall.

She doesnt do Damon justice in Nightfall. He was so amazing in Dark Reunion, but turns into a jerk again in Nightfall. Blah. I really hope you like it more than I did. :(

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Thanks for the heads up though. It's always better than rushing in thinking it's going to be great and having it be just the opposite. Dark Reunion was my least favorite so I was a bit worried about Nightfall. I'm really just kind of happy she's publishing again. I've read most of the Nightworld books again. I read most of her stuff long ago and have started rereading everything in the last year. I have an 11 year old daughter who reads at a high school reading level and it's so hard to find things appropriate for her. I've been rereading the things I loved when I was in high school mostly to make sure the content is okay. She just finished all four of the Twilight series so I figured the Vampire Diaries should be next on her list.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Melissa wrote: "Thanks for the heads up though. It's always better than rushing in thinking it's going to be great and having it be just the opposite. Dark Reunion was my least favorite so I was a bit worried ab..."

I think she was just rusty in Nightfall. I'm sure she will get better again. She posted some short stories on her website, with new characters for the night world series. :) Did you like the Secret Circle series?

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Joy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Thanks for the heads up though. It's always better than rushing in thinking it's going to be great and having it be just the opposite. Dark Reunion was my least favorite so I was ..."

I haven't reread the Secret Circle yet, but I know I loved all her stuff, once upon a time. The Nightworld was the series I remembered loving the most.

message 10: by J.D. (new)

There is another show called "V" that is supposed to air this fall. Some people said that it is a re-make of another show that was about a long time ago.
I'm kind of excited about that!

Another one is "Modern Families"...you should watch the trailer for it online. It looks hilarious!!! My hubby and I were laughing sooooo hard!

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments V was in the late 80s I think. It was a hoot. I hope it is NOT a remake. Let's see something original. And BTW - Robert ENgland was great in "V"

message 12: by J.D. (new)

Terri wrote: "V was in the late 80s I think. It was a hoot. I hope it is NOT a remake. Let's see something original. And BTW - Robert ENgland was great in "V""

I watched the trailer for "V" and it looked pretty cool. The special effects look good!

Has anyone been watching "Merlin"??? It is airing right now on TV, but it actually had a season in the UK already! I managed to find the entire UK first season online, and loved it!

Is anyone excited about "Eastwich"? It's based on the Movie/book, but it looks like they are going to do a more modern twist on it. I think it'll be good! :)

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments I have been watching Merlin - it is cute but it does bother me a little how much they changed from the legends

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 244 comments I have been watching Merlin too. Its ok I like it

message 15: by J.D. (new)

Terri wrote: "I have been watching Merlin - it is cute but it does bother me a little how much they changed from the legends"

I like that the changed around some of the legends b/c there are so many of them surrounding Arthur, and Merlin.
When I was in high school, my english teacher has us research all the different stories about King Arthur. It was amazing how much they all differed. I think we spent a whole semester combing through the different stories. He also brought in a few different movies. I am a huge fan of the legend.
I would have liked for them to stick to the main points that all of the stories share, but otherwise the difference is what keeps me interested. Although, I'm totally weird, so I understand why it would bother you that they changed so much. :)

I would have liked for the dragon to look more realistic. Oh, and I have to say that the actor they chose to play merlin is completely HOT

message 16: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments I remember watching the original V in the 80's and I loved it. I just watched the preview on ABC for the new V and it looks really good. I think I will have a new show to watch soon!

I am looking forward to Vampire Diaries also. I haven't read any of the books but plan to someday.

message 17: by J.D. (new)

Jackie wrote: "I remember watching the original V in the 80's and I loved it. I just watched the preview on ABC for the new V and it looks really good. I think I will have a new show to watch soon!

I am looking ..."

You definitely should read them! Just ignore the last one called Nightfall. It is blah! The rest of the series is good, but I have a feeling that I am going to like the show more! :)

message 18: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) I can't believe it. V: the T.V. series... Crazyness! I remember the mini series freaking me out a little when I was a kid. I still have that scene in my head where the woman gives birth to twins, and the one baby flicks it's little lizard tongue out.

message 19: by J.D. (new)

BTW Vampire Diaries premieres on September 10th. I forgot to mention that before...Mark it on your calendars! :)

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments good to know!

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Ellen I really like the show Merlin. And I think the the guy who plays Merlin and Bradley James are really really cute.
I read the Vampire Diaries earlier last month, and I liked them.
Has anybody seen the trailer for VD? I have and they have changed alot of it. The actors dont match the characters descriptions, but other than that it looks pretty good.

message 22: by J.D. (new)

Ellen♥ wrote: "I really like the show Merlin. And I think the the guy who plays Merlin and Bradley James are really really cute.
I read the Vampire Diaries earlier last month, and I liked them.
Has anybody see..."

http://vampirediariesonline.com/video...

This is a link to the Vampire Diaries Show site, and the new promo. :)

-Yeah, I noticed that they changed a lot. However, I think that if it was exactly like the books I would be bored, because I would always know what to expect. LOL I am irritated that the got rid of Merediths character, and I wanted Bonnie to look irish. :( Otherwise, I am okay with the changes. I like the girl they chose to play Elena. She is a GREAT actress...even though she looks nothing like the elena from the books...

message 23: by J.D. (new)

For those of you who live in the UK...

Vampire Diaries will be coming to you! Its going to be on ITV2 early in 2010. :)

message 24: by J.D. (last edited Jul 23, 2009 09:50PM) (new)

The 2009 Fall season premiere schedule...time slots

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-p...

The Dates for the season premieres...

http://www.thetvremote.com/2009-fall-...

message 25: by J.D. (new)

Which ones are you going to try?

I'm going to try...

Vampire Diaries (Based on my fav series from junior high)
Accidentally on Purpose
The Forgotten
Glee
The Beautiful Life
Modern Family
Cougar Town (eh, but I figure I'll try it)
Eastwick (I'm really looking forward to this one)
Flash Forward (looks interesting)
V

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user Cougar Town sounds like a good concept, but the preview looked pretty bad, LOL.

message 27: by J.D. (new)

new_user wrote: "Cougar Town sounds like a good concept, but the preview looked pretty bad, LOL."

Have any plans to become a cougar NU? LOL Just teasing!

message 28: by new_user (last edited Sep 07, 2009 10:39PM) (new)

new_user LOL, Joy! xD

message 29: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments Joy wrote: "Which ones are you going to try?

I'm going to try...

Vampire Diaries (Based on my fav series from junior high)
Accidentally on Purpose
The Forgotten
Glee
The Beautiful Life
Modern Fami..."

I think we've become really picky about TV shows lately. I was just reading the TV Guide fall preview issue this week, and not much was catching my interest (or hubby's either). We're probably going to try Fast Forward (the most intriguing one), V, Vampire Diaries, and that's most likely about it.:-)

message 30: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I've never read the books The Vampire Diaries is based on but I'm going to give it a try. And I'm going to give Eastwick a try too. I saw the pilot for Glee last year and loved it so I'm definitely going to watch that. I'm looking forward to V as well.

message 31: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments Did they remake the V? I remember that show, from the 80's. The man that plays as Freddy Krueger played on the V.

message 32: by Monika (new)

Monika Has anyone seen the Harper's Island series?

message 33: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I am definitely trying V. I loved the mini-series...freaked me the H-E-double hockey sticks OUT!! Great stuff! I can't wait to see what the effects now-a-days does for it!

Joy, have you ever READ Flashforward? I saw it on someones "sci-fi" shelf so I read about it...VERY MUCH like the show! The book is from the early 90's I think. I'll check the show out and read the book.

I'm also going to give Glee a try (being a choir nerd myself lol).
Eastwick, Trauma, and NCIS LA are also on my list of new shows.

I watch so much tv already that I have my week usually set. I don't know if any of these new shows are going to fit into my week regularly. :)

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, Flashforward is based on the book, so I put it on my TBR. :)

message 35: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) Arch wrote: "Did they remake the V? I remember that show, from the 80's. The man that plays as Freddy Krueger played on the V."

Yep, they did! I remember the original series too. I'm just going to keep an open mind about it.

Elvia wrote:I'm also going to give Glee a try (being a choir nerd myself lol).

I was more of a drama nerd but I did a little choir and show choir as well. :-)

message 36: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments From the orignal V, I'll never forget, when that woman was giving birth and one of her babies just came out of her own his own.

I have satellite, so I will not be able to watch the new V.

message 37: by J.D. (new)

Elvia wrote: "I am definitely trying V. I loved the mini-series...freaked me the H-E-double hockey sticks OUT!! Great stuff! I can't wait to see what the effects now-a-days does for it!

Joy, have you ever ..."

I had no idea that it was based on a book!

message 38: by J.D. (new)

Arch wrote: "Did they remake the V? I remember that show, from the 80's. The man that plays as Freddy Krueger played on the V."

I'm pretty sure that they remade it. I think that the old V was a miniseries, and this is a full on show instead of a miniseries. So I think that they completely redid it. At least from what I can tell...I could be wrong. LOL

message 39: by J.D. (new)

Arch wrote: "Did they remake the V? I remember that show, from the 80's. The man that plays as Freddy Krueger played on the V."

I'm pretty sure that they remade it. I think that the old V was a miniseries, and this is a full on show instead of a miniseries. So I think that they completely redid it. At least from what I can tell...I could be wrong. LOL

message 40: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Glee starts tonight, 9pm est!

Arch, that sucks! You don't get the network channels with your satellite service? When I had it I only didn't get the WB or CW or whatever it's called now.

I am getting cable on Thursday with DVR!!!! You don't even know how excited I am about this!!!!

message 41: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments No, Elvia I don't get any network channels.

The shows might come on Satellite one day.

message 42: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Very good possibility! Most times you eventually get reruns on FX or USA or something like that. Especially when it's a sci-fi show like V is.

message 43: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 867 comments The V might come on the Syfy channel.

message 44: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 102 comments just watched Vampire Diaries, I haven't nor plan on reading the books, it was all right it seems like a Twilight made for television. Maybe if the guy was a little more....masculine or less wimpish it would work but other then that it was all right.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I liked Vampire Diaries, but then I have read the books, so I already thought the brothers were worth watching. I thought it was a good start. I was worried it was going to be cheesy, but I was digging the effects. I'm definitely a fan!

message 46: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 452 comments I also watched Vampire Diaries last night and I liked it. I haven't read the books yet so I don't have anything to compare it too.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Awww, I missed Vampire Diaries :( But I did see Glee on Wednesday and thought it was pretty good. I'm also excited that So You Think You Can Dance has started.

message 48: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Jackie, ME TOO on SYTYCD!! I love that show! I watched Vampire Diaries as well. Never read the books either so no comparison. I think I'm glad about that though...most of the time tv shows ruin a good book (Harry Dresden) so not having read the books I'm not being overly critical and just enjoying the show.

message 49: by new_user (new)

new_user I think it will get better as it goes on, so don't judge too quickly, guys. ;) I liked the effects too. Damian and Elena were acted well. I can't say much for Stefan. He's supposed to be a "gentlemanly," sensitive soul, so... but maybe that will change a little.

message 50: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 102 comments the pilot was on tonight kind of a encore thing.

I'm going to keep watch it since True Blood is up on Sunday and I have no other shows until Survivor.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flashforward (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

L.J. Smith (other topics)