Book Haven discussion

Fantasy > Who are your favorite fantasy authors?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by J.D. (last edited Jun 30, 2009 11:03PM) (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
This is a discussion for your favorite fantasy authors! Currently my favorites (not in a specific order) are...
James Clemens
Dawn Cook
John Flanagan
Jim Butcher
Trudi Canavan
Kristen Britain
Greg Keyes

message 2: by new_user (last edited Jun 27, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

new_user Mine are...

Robin Hobb
Juliet Marillier
Guy Gavriel Kay
Melanie Rawn
Laura Resnick
Louise Marley
Lian Hearn

Mostly female authors, mostly epic fantasy, some historical fantasy and some based-off-history...? LOL. Honorable mention: Kate Elliott, Michelle West, Greg Keyes.

message 3: by J.D. (new)

new_user wrote: "Mine are...

Robin Hobb
Juliet Marillier
Guy Gavriel Kay
Melanie Rawn
Laura Resnick
Louise Marley
[author:Li..."

I haven't tried most of your favs! Which surprises me. I went through a really long period of time where I was a huge fantasy addict. I read a lot of different authors. I'll have to check them out...Which of those is your all time favorite?

message 4: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica My current favorites are

Greg Keyes
Dart-Thornton, Cecilia
Dennis L. McKiernan
Kage Baker
Eddings David

I have a few others that I also like but haven't read enough to really determine.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

I am surprised that both of you like Greg Keyes. Whenever I mention him, people have never heard of him. He really is an amazing author! :)

message 6: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I loved his Waterborn set. For that reason I read Newton's Cannon. Otherwise, I wouldn't have touched it. Didn't seem to be my sort of book.

message 7: by J.D. (new)

Have you read The Born Queen???
I haven't yet. Its in my bookcase...

message 8: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I haven't read the last two books but finished The Briar King and The Charnel Prince. Really liked them as well. I absolutely love the diversity in his books. It seems so easy and natural to read about but so few authors do it.

message 9: by new_user (last edited Jun 28, 2009 10:12AM) (new)

new_user I really liked his Waterborn set too, LaTrica. I really liked his mythology (really engrossing! His gods and goddesses are very visceral and compelling), characters, etc. Actually, Greg Keyes is pretty well known for his Kingdom series.

Joy wrote: "I haven't tried most of your favs! Which surprises me...I read a lot of different authors...Which of those is your all time favorite?"

I tend not to like a lot of popular fantasy titles written by men because they're very plot-driven (or should I say, quest-driven) rather than character-driven, which is my bread and butter, LOL.

My all-time favorite... That's tough because they're all good but radically different. Robin Hobb and Juliet Marillier are probably top. Hobb is amazing if you love good characterization like I do. She really gets into her characters' heads and sets a standard for the genre. If you read her books, you get to see what first person should read like. Marillier's books read like the old-school celtic ballads put to elegant, lyrical (non-ancient) prose, and she includes romance subplots. I highly recommend both.

message 10: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I just remembered Mary Brown. She wrote Pigs Don't Fly and Dragonne's Egg and I haven't been able to find much else from her. I tried an Amazon search but Mary Brown just wasn't specific enough and I gave it up.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments Jane Lindskold

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user I forgot Briggs. She deserves a mention. Surprised I forgot her.

message 13: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 04, 2009 10:07PM) (new)

message 14: by Eva (new)

Eva | 31 comments Tamora Pierce
C.S. Lewis
Garth Nix

And many others, but those are my favourites.

message 15: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i would say that at the moment my fave authors are:
Suzanne Collins
Cassandra Clare
Melissa Marr
Rachel Caine
Christopher Paolini
i could go on forever and these arent in order either

message 16: by J.D. (new)

A couple of years ago, I would have had a list of fantasy authors that was a mile long. For some reason, I haven't been enjoying fantasy authors as much as I used to... :(

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Markman (markman) | 3 comments Try Brandon Sanderson. I just finished "Elantris" and it was different in a good way. He was also chosen to write Book 12 of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan - who is also one of my favorites.

message 18: by Pam (last edited Nov 11, 2009 08:16PM) (new)

Pam | 23 comments Christopher Paolini
Robin Hobb
Brandon Sanderson
Tamora Pierce
Rowling J K
Robert Jordan
Suzanne Collins
Orson Scott Card

Many, when thinking of Orson Scott Card, think of Ender's Game and think sci fi. I love his Alvin Maker series very much.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Jennifer wrote: "Try Brandon Sanderson. I just finished "Elantris" and it was different in a good way. He was also chosen to write Book 12 of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan - who is also one of my favori..."

I just finished Elantris monday, very very good book.

message 20: by Eva (new)

Eva | 31 comments Lately, I've really been liking Mercedes Lackey. Especially her Elemental Masters series. So far, Phoenix and Ashes is my absolute favourite.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 29, 2009 05:02PM) (new)

Cheyanne McCray`s
I really like her Magic series with Silver,Copper,etc
Jim Butchers
Dresden series with a wonderful cast of screwballs of all kinds
Richelle Meed-Vamp Acadamy
Cheyenne McCrays King Series(Erotica,and hot enough to burn your socks off)

message 22: by J.D. (new)

Kathy Anne wrote: "Cheyanne McCray`s
I really like her Magic series with Silver,Copper,etc
Jim Butchers
Dresden series with a wonderful cast of screwballs of all kinds
Richelle Meed-Vamp Acadamy
Cheyenne McCra..."

Jim Butcher and Richelle Mead are great! :)

message 23: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Richelle Mead all the way!

message 24: by Chriss (new)

Chriss | 15 comments I LOVE Glen Cook's Garret PI series. I re-read one and I always have to read the other books as well. In fact, I've had a hankering all week to start re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reading the series.

I also enjoy Brandon Sanderson's alcatraz versus the evil librarians series. It's YA, but like all good books it's a story written for people not 'children'. Plus, Sanderson doesn't subscribe to the whole adult-on-the-periphery idea in YA fiction. The grownups are part of the story and they don't all go for coffee when the Dark Lord attacks, if you follow me.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Mine are:
1. JK Rowling
2. JRR Tolkien
3. Jonathan Stroud
4. Philip Pullman
5. Neil Gaiman
6. CS Lewis
7. Lewis Carroll (?) -> Alice's is a fantasy, isn't it?
8. Lemony Snicket
9. Cornelia Funke
10. Suzzane Clarke
11. Cressida Cowell
12. and.... (hehe... i forget ;D)

message 26: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica Joy wrote: "Have you read The Born Queen???
I haven't yet. Its in my bookcase..."

I read The Born Queen this past spring and absolutely LOVED it. I think it may be the best book in the series. Or at least better than Blood Knight.

I also want to add Lois McMaster Bujold to my list. She has really strong and complicated stories but they aren't long-winded and overdone. She also avoids the ultimate evil villain type.

message 27: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Neil Gaiman

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Franklin | 7 comments I like:
C.S. Lewis
Tolkien
Rick Riordan
J.K. Rowlings

message 30: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 43 comments Not a big fan of the genre, but...

1. Neil Gaiman
2. Carroll/Barrie
3. Gregory Maguire
4. Tolkein (He's either very good, or very bad, often in the same paragraph.)
5. J.K. Rowling

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

message 31: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments does anyone know a good fantasy series I can start?

message 32: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Depends on how much staying power you have ... there are short series and long series, series with long books and moderate ones. What sort of books do you enjoy most? Do you like your fantasy pure fantasy, or do you like a science fiction/fantasy mix?

message 33: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments paranormal fantasy, scifi/fantasy.

message 34: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments In that case ... start with Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. It's the first of a starting trilogy of a longer series about the Dragonriders of Pern. The next two books are Dragonquest and The White Dragon.

message 35: by Dalia (new)

Dalia Have you tried
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko?

Night Watch (Watch, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko (Сергей Лукьяненко)

I enjoyed the first two books, a step above the usual vampire-werewolf stuff that is out there.

message 36: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I saw the movie, NightWatch, and am interested in reading the books.

message 37: by Dalia (new)

Dalia I just ordered the third book, but it may be a few months before I get to it :-)

message 38: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica I'm currently reading and enjoying the Vampire Hunter D series by Hideyuki Kikuchi. Paranormal and a bit of sci-fi. Beautifully written.

message 39: by Helen (new)

Helen I love fantasy! Terry Brooks started me off. I also love Raymond E Feist, David Eddings, Tad Williams, Janny Wurts, Robin Hobb - I could go on! I've never tried Anne McCaffrey but who knows ...

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 375 comments Anne McCaffrey is more science fiction than fantasy, but I just love her Dragonriders of Pern series. The relationship between the dragons and their riders is awesome.

message 41: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (tirilien) Iain M. Banks
Tad Williams
Neal Stephenson
Ian Irvine
C. J. Cherryh
Julian May
Robin Hobb

This is one of my favourite genres. I started with Duneand The Cat Who Walks Through Walls at 13 y.o. and still read a lot of this.

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 375 comments Since I've been on Goodreads, I've discovered some really wonderful fantasy authors that I've never read before.

Julie Kagawa
Cassandra Clare
Cinda Williams Chima
Rick Riordan
Pamela Freeman

message 43: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Mansfield | 10 comments I love George R.R.Martin the best in fantasy

message 44: by Helen (new)

Helen I like George R R Martin too. My problem is that I like to read a whole series together and sometimes I've assumed I'm on a trilogy and ended up waiting years for the next part.

message 45: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Mansfield | 10 comments I know Im waiting for book 5 in the fire and ice series it's been a long wait.

message 46: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Dennis wrote: "I know Im waiting for book 5 in the fire and ice series it's been a long wait."

I was just complaining about that ... I started SoF&I last year, finished book 4 today, and saw the promise from George RR that the next book would be out within a year ... six years ago.

I'm hoping that the HBO series will spur some progress!

message 47: by Helen (new)

Helen I stopped after book 3 as I discovered it wasn't a trilogy, I wish they'd say ahead how many parts there will be.

message 48: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Mansfield | 10 comments Well they say the book will be out in july this year ,they actually gave a definite date this is only book Five there are seven total so I will be reading the last couple when I retire probably lol !

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I also love Robin Hobb, but her Soldier's Son series didn't really grab me. Another favourite is Traci Harding.

message 50: by Shelli (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Shelli I really enjoyed Poison Studyand the next two...Magic Study and Fire Study....they were shelved under adult fantasy at the library I requested them from. Magic Study I actually bought on the Kindle as I couldn't wait....I enjoyed the first two the most...Fire Study dragged a bit...but still a great series and I got closure!

« previous 1 3