Watership Down Watership Down discussion

The story behind the story

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JDK1962 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JDK1962 If you're interested in Adams, and can find it (it's long out of print), read his autobiography _The Day Gone By_, which covers his childhood, college, and WWII experiences.

message 2: by Brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new) - added it

Brian There are two movies of Watership Down (the first is from 1978), and one of Adams' other book, Plagued Dogs

Annie/Soul I heard that Adam has made a book about a horse in the civil war, and about dogs I think. The ending in Watership down brought me to tears. Poor Hazel! I feel so bad for him!

Annie/Soul Oh, by the way Scooter, that was a wonderful and fantastic thing you wrote! It is simply touching! I didn't know all that! Thanks!

Cicero I agree Annie, rarely have I seen my own feeling written down so precisely. Thanks Scooter.

message 6: by Annie/Soul (last edited Jun 03, 2008 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie/Soul Yeah. But yet it was so sweet and wellwritten.... *sigh*

Annie/Soul The book I mean. But still....

Becky I read this book in 8th grade, that made me about 13. I enjoyed the book, but apparently I was naive enough to think it was just a story about rabbits.

C.J. This is my favourite book ever! It is so complex and intriguing and all under the cloak of using rabbits to carry out the story. There isn't one character in Watership Down that I don't feel some relationship too, whether it be positive or negative. And the way he invented words to describe the things that rabbits do without seeming cheap was brilliant. In fact, there isn't one thing I don't like about this story. Not one thing. Brilliant!!

And to think he was just trying to come up with ways to make car trips a little more enjoyable with his kids.

message 10: by dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

dave I drive past Watership Down about twice a week and every time I look up there and think of the book. Excellent read.

David I read Watership Down after I saw it featured on the TV show LOST (Season 1). Some of the show seems to be based on the book. The "Smoke Monster" from LOST is right out of the book except by a different name.

Virginia C.J. wrote: "This is my favourite book ever! It is so complex and intriguing and all under the cloak of using rabbits to carry out the story. There isn't one character in Watership Down that I don't feel some ..."

C.J. This is also my favorite book. When it appeared in the book stores in the summer of 1972 I picked it up from the public libraryand started reading it at ip.m. stopped for dinner for the family, started reading again and finished about 5 a.m. My 7th grade son read it an after returning it to the library I bought a copy and reread it. I still have that copy on my shelf but have gone through another hardcover one and several paperbacks and each time I read it I see something I didn't see before.Ginny

Eline I couldn't find it, but I didn't expect to.. I can't find Watership Down either xD.

Elizabeth Baxter I completely agree. I first read Watership Down when I was about 11 as part of a reading project. When I reviewed it I remember that I put 'the best book I've ever read'. Awesome.

message 15: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. McFate Opening boxes wedged away in a webby corner of the attic I came across the illustrated WSD and wonderful memories returned of a read long ago. There is nothing like revisiting great reads.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Maia was another good book that he wrote . . . I love Watership Down . . .

message 17: by Yona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yona Yurwit My sister recently found our old tape of the cartoon based off the book. She was like, "I thought it was gonna be a cute cartoon about bunnies. Why was there so much blood? D:"

I remember that when I was reading it, my hard was POUNDING. So intense. Little fragile lives.

Heather I really enjoyed this book! It's really good.

message 19: by johanna (new) - added it

johanna Annie/Soul wrote: "I heard that Adam has made a book about a horse in the civil war, and about dogs I think. The ending in Watership down brought me to tears. Poor Hazel! I feel so bad for him! "

But he died in peace! And safety... and he succeeded in his adventure! What more could he want? He was old, and ready to die! I thought it was a really happy ending :o.

Brenda Clough The Civil War horse book is TRAVELLER, and the dog book is THE PLAGUE DOGS. Neither of this is as good as WATERSHIP, imo. TRAVELLER is particularly handicapped by being written from the viewpoint of the horse. As a result you never really grasp what's going on with the politics, tactics or battles, because horses don't understand that; if you're not already thoroughly familiar with the progress of the Civil War you will be lost.

message 21: by Ruth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ruth ddy bears even existed when she wrote the book but i could be wrong. Were they not called "teddy bears" after Theodore Roosevelt?

reply | flag *
message 4: by Helen (new) - rated it 5 stars Aug 17, 2012 07:38am
Dianne's right, it was published in 1868 before the use of "Teddy" to describe a bear, as of 1902. So co-incidence, I'm afraid.

reply | flag *
message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - rated it 5 stars Aug 17, 2012 08:24pm
Hahaha I know isn't it so funny?! But teddy bears weren't around then because they were named after Teddy Roosevelt. So it probably wasn't that funny back then, just a normal name. But to us, we can laugh over it all we want. :)

reply | flag *
message 6: by Aamrah (new) - rated it 4 stars Aug 18, 2012 07:42am
You're right. That's such a cool coincidence! I'm a total geek about stuff like that.

reply | flag *
message 7: by Brenda (new) - rated it 3 stars Aug 20, 2012 11:55am
With any luck Alcott lived to see the advent of 'teddy bears'.

reply | flag *
message 8: by Cristy (new) - rated it 4 stars Aug 20, 2012 06:28pm
that is funny! never noticed that. I know they named him after Laurie, but still, that's great.

reply | flag *
message 9: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars Aug 24, 2012 08:43am
i didn't see that! lol! but yes, she named him after laurie. teddy was his nickname, and it wasn't short for theadore!

reply | flag *
message 10: by Brenda (new) - rated it 3 stars Aug 24, 2012 11:19am
Interestingly, Laurie in the book insists on the use of 'Laurie' (short for Laurence), because the natural diminutive for Theodore at the time was "Dora" which he despised.

reply | flag *
message 11: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars Aug 25, 2012 02:17am
haha! LOL, so he is basically named dora!!! ooops!

reply | flag *
message 12: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars Nov 28, 2012 09:41am
Plenty of people have got in there with the history, so I can't show off my expert knowledge of teddy bears, but yes, I did notice this when I was about nine and my mother read the book to me. I thought it was hilarious, but no one else seemed to find it as funny.

I must argue that Teddy most certainly is a shortened form of Theodore, which is why Jo gave Laurie that particular pet name. 'The fellas' called him Dora until threatened with violence because boys are like that, but Teddy is a much more macho alternative, which maybe Laurie just didn't think of. Laurie really is more of a girl's name now, but not back then, I guess.

reply | flag *
Email me when people comment

comment add book/author (some html is ok)
(preview)
Add to my Update Feed *
Email me when people reply *

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

sponsored links

Padlocked doors. Strange light fixtures. Mutant cockroaches. There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment.
www.goodreads.com
view 251 reviews »

Tales of the Silver Sword Inn: Volume I
Settle back and enjoy 4 tales of adventure in this new fantasy short story series. Only $2.99 on the Kindle store now!
www.amazon.com

more links...
Books mentioned in this topic
Little Women (other topics)

© 2012 Goodreads Inc about us advertise author program jobs api our blog terms privacy help