Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Other favorite Paranormal Romance?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Princess Allie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Princess Allie (princessallie) You might want to try Melanie Jackson. Also there is Moning's Darkfever. I really enjoyed that one. I also liked Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, but that has little to no sex in it, but the story is really good. I highly recommend Sunny. They are not really fairies, but they are very close to Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry series. It's called Mona Lisa Awaking. Hope this helps!

message 2: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Stacy | 9 comments Two of susan Krinard's books are about the fae. Forest Lord and I think the second one is called Lord of the beasts. I really liked the Forest Lord.
My favorite though is the Merry Gentry series it brings in more Fae Mythology then any other series that I know of.

message 3: by Shantal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Shantal  (Shantal_Booknerd) | 2 comments well yesterday i find the blood books of tanya huff but i dont think they are paranormal romance...just paranormal i'm just starting them.

message 4: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Stacy | 9 comments totally agree with Blood and Chocolate. I was so disapointed with the movie, because after reading the book in Highschool it instantly became one of my favorites and the movie wasn't even close. Another good one by that same author is The silver Kiss. My cousin read that book the whole way through and she had never really finished an entire book before.

message 5: by Adena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Adena | 1 comments Almost all of K. Moning's books have some element of the Fae in them. The Immortal Highlander was Adam's story, but Adam is IN almost all her other books before that one. Also, Circen's story is has a lot of the Fae elements in it, because he is half-fae, being Adam's son.

message 6: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Stacy | 9 comments A kiss of shadows is the first book. It can be a bit difficult because you are jumping into Merry's life after her falling out with Fairie court, but just keep on reading it will explain everything.

message 7: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Stacy | 9 comments I would also like to add if anyone is interested in a group all about Laurell K Hamilton it's called Ladies who Love Laurell we have lots of fun discussing Laurell K Hamilton's two series so come check it out.

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Heidi | 2 comments Wicked Lovely is a pretty recent novel. It's about a girl who is chosen by a fairy to be his queen, but she's already fallen for a sexy human. I thought it was pretty original and I really enjoyed it.

message 9: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ You might try the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance. There are two--Touch the Dark and Claimed By Shadows. They tend to fall more into the fantasy genre, but the characters are good and the story is pretty tight. They've got a little of everything, including vampires, fairies, mages, ghosts and shape shifters. Think Anita Blake lite.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Jennifer shepherd | 3 comments I can't think of any off the top of my head that are fae stories other than then Moning's, but a few other paranormal authors I enjoy are:

JR Ward
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Susan Carroll (the Dark Queen series)
Christine Feehan (especially her early books)

Karen Fox did do a fae trilogy a few years back, but it was more on the "cutesy" side. I did enjoy it though.

message 11: by pianogal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

pianogal | 31 comments You might want to check out the Dresden files by Jim Butcher. Especially Summer Knight (#4). It's all about fairies. Wicked Lovely is also pretty good.

message 12: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I second the Karen Chance recommendation. Her books are intelligent and sexy without resorting to cliché or Mary Sue-ism (like Anita Blake, IMO). Cassie is likable and develops her new powers in a believable, realistic way. Frankly, I'd take the Cassandra Palmer series over anything Laurell Hamilton wrote any day.

message 13: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ If you find the Cassie Palmer books to get started and find that you like them, you'll be happy to know the third book is due out in spring of next year. I can't think of the title right now, but I think I've seen news of it on Chance's website.

I sent Chance an e-mail in praise of the series, and especially the character Pritkin. She sent a message back saying that Pritkin is definitely on board for the third book, and he plays a large role. Just something to look forward to.

As for the comparison to Hamilton's Anita Blake, I honestly like both series, but for different reasons. I agree that Cassie is really the more down to earth, believeable character of the two. Her world is rooted in politics and mob activity. Anita is more for the angst and over the top power struggles. That's why I call Cassie Anita Blake lite.

message 14: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ Just looked it up. The third Cassie Palmer book is called Embrace the Night, and the pub date was given as April 2008 as of May this year.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Wow! Just finished "My Immortal" by Erin McCartney. She usually writes funny vampire books, but this one was steamy! It features a deamon who is a trotured alpha guy and a heroine that's overweight, does too much for her family and finds her backbone. One of the best books I've read this year (and I read about 20 books a month!!)

message 16: by Stacie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Stacie | 9 comments Have you tried any of the Lara Adrian books that are out?? How about Jean Johnson?? Stacie

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

L.A. Banks is amazing! I love her books I read one and after that I couldn't stop. She has a new one being released in April. I would highly recommend these books.

message 18: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Rachel | 1 comments I'm totally addicted to Kresley Coles Immortals After Dark Series. I read the last one in about four hours, I just couldn't put it down. I also would suggest Dakota Cassidy if you want to read something funny and romantic especially "Derriks Bane."

message 19: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Jess "Derrik's Bane" is by MaryJanice Davidson, who writes a vampire series starting with Undead and Unwed. Very fun series!

Nora Roberts had a great trilogy involving the faerie, the first book is called "Jewels of the Sun."

The books by Karen Marie Moning are great, the first one is called "Beyond the Highland Mist." Her new series is less romance and more magical, though there may be romance by the end of the trilogy. I have yet to read "Bloodfever," but enjoyed "Darkfever."

Used a database at work to find some Faerie romance novels. This is what I found:

Powerful Magic by Karen Whiddon
Buttercup Baby by Karen Fox
Impractical Magic by Karen Fox
Magic for Joy by Holly Fuhrmann
Miracles for Nick by Holly Fuhrmann
The Master by Melanie Jackson
One Summer's Night by Mary Alice Kruesi
The Forest Lord by Susan Krinard
Sleep Tight by Laura Marie Altom
Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson
Lady of Light and Shadows by C.L. Wilson
Sister of the Moon by Janeen O'Kerry
Highland Bride by Amanda Scott
Reiver's Bride by Amanda Scott
Mistletoe & Magic by Lisa Cach
Abducted Heiress by Amanda Scott
Faery Magic by Mary Jo Putney and others
This Dangerous Magic by Jayel Wylie

If you like the Laurell K. Hamilton series about Merry, try Kim Harrison's serie about Rachel, first book called "Dead Witch Walking." Has all sorts of magical creatures in a modern world, including faeries, pixies, vampires, and more.

message 20: by Aimee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Aimee | 2 comments After just reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, I'm dying for more books like this!

Suggestions?

message 21: by Princess Allie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Princess Allie (princessallie) You'll want to read Night World by L.J. Smith. It's a out of print series, but a whole lot like Twilight. Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely. Marked by P.C. Cast. Rachel Caine's Morganville series is cool, but not as good. Avoid Tantalize by Cythinia Smith, I think, because it is nothing like it and I was dissapointed.

message 22: by Allie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Allie (peaceolgy) | 18 comments I love the YA book series: The Mediator by Meg Cabot. It's really light and fun, but still has the elements of paranormal that I love. (It's a 6 book series).

message 23: by Lindsay (last edited Dec 21, 2007 12:10PM) (new)

Lindsay The Kelley Armstrong series, "Women of the Otherworld," is really good, too. My favourites are Bitten, Stolen, and Broken (the stories of Elana, the only female werewolf alive). Her latest book will be out in the new year.

Another good vampire series is "Blue Bloods" by Melissa de la Cruz. It's a YA series (2 books so far)- think "Gossip Girls" with fangs! Vampire Academy, by Richelle Mead, is another good YA read. I love how every author really interprets the myths and legends of vampirism differently, and puts their own spin on it. I can't wait till the new Kim Harrison book comes out - I'm number 5 in line for it at my library!

message 24: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 6 comments I've read all the Dark-Hunter/Dream Hunter/Were-Hunter books by Sherrilyn Kenyon, all the BDB books by JR Ward, all the Midnight Breed books by Lara Adrian and have LOOOVED them all. I've also read a handful of Christine Feehan's Dark/Carpathian books. So basically my style yearns for the urban, dark, paranormal, angsty romance, awesome plot sort of setting. Obviously, I've only read vampire-related books, but I'm definitely not adverse to other paranormal themes.

Recently, I've been recommended two different up and coming series and I was curious as to whether or not anyone here has either read or heard of them. And if so, could they share their input.....

I was recced: The Warriors of Poseidon series by Alyssa Day and the Atlantis series by Gena Showalter. So..... any thoughts, advice, input???

THANKS!!!!

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 9 comments Yes I have read these books and they are enjoyable. I would recommend them. You can check on their website to get excerpts and info on these series. If I remember correctly Alyssa Day just came out with another book in the Poseidon series. Stacie

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) Speaking of Fey novels, there are faeries in my urban fantasy novel "The Witches of Dixie: Book One of the Witchery Series."

Then the next novel in the series "What Witches Want: Book Two of the Witchery Series," which will be out in the spring, contains lots of Fey elements, including the main character and a yummy two-natured guy who is part Fey. This novel is definitely a paranormal romance.

I always include the Fey in my novels, because I am a Wiccan Faery Witch, so I am very familiar with that world.

message 27: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I am reading Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series for the first time, and I love it!!! I've been reading Anita for quite a while, but the Merry world is refreshing while still comfortable. I commented on this in my Laurell group, but I am really impressed by how creative and imagination LKH is. The Gentry world is so detailed and strange...I love it!!

Any other takers in the Gentry series over Blake? (Or not necessarily over her, just like it?)

message 28: by Inky (last edited Mar 28, 2008 10:32PM) (new)

Inky | 10 comments Has anyone tried the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow? It's got hard edges and unfolds over five books. It's urban, dark, and takes readers into a violent alternate reality where a battle for control of Hell spills over into the human realm. At the heart is the relationship between necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine and the demon Japhrimel. Look for magic, witchcraft, the mob, and an original take on mythology as religion. Don't pick these up if you're looking for a series of HEA books. But if you like your rides wild, give it a try.

I'm also a fan of Anita Blake up to Obsidian Butterfly and have been reading Lara Adrian. I think the fourth book in her series, Midnight Rising, just came out!

message 29: by calicheri (new)

calicheri | 39 comments I really like the Psy/Changling series by Nalini Singh. There are 4 books and one story in an anthology so far.

message 30: by Morgan (last edited Mar 29, 2008 07:13AM) (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I've read the first 3 of the Dante Valentine books and enjoyed them. But they are really dark. I have to take a break before I read the fourth one. They can just be emotional exhausting how dante never trust anyone, especially the man(demon) she loves, and is constantly expecting betrayal. I don't think of them as romance at all. But they are amazingly written and the world they take place in is very intricate and well planned by the author.