Rated YA-MA discussion

Reading Challenges > New, new and new! 2014 Edition!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 477 (477 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jan 24, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments We like consistency! (with a twist!)

Just like last year, we are going to be doing a New Author Challenge. However, this year we want you to do a new to you author from each of our genre folders.

The first quarter challenge runs from January 1st to March 31st.

How it works:

♦ As usual, we will be reading 6 books. The books must be of a completely new author that you haven't read anything of theirs before.

♦ Each author must represent one of the genre's in this group; Science Fiction, Fantasy, PNR/UF, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction, or a book from one of specific 'other book/comic' threads (GLBT, Manga/Graphic Novel, Adult book with a YA feel, classic, non-fiction).

♦ Audio books are allowed in any of the genres.

♦ Both stand alone books and first in a series books are allowed, if it's from a new author to you.

♦ All of the books MUST be at least 150 (paper) pages in order to qualify for this challenge. If the kindle or ebook pages are different than the paper count, please provide the correct number, so no books are left out unjustly.

♦ As you can already use 1 Adult book as your 'other book' folder pick, provided it reads like a YA, we will only allow 1 more Adult book to be substituted to represent one of our genre's in this challenge. This makes for 2 possible adult picks overall.

♦ You can select as many new releases that you want, provided it fits all of the other qualifications of this challenge.

Loophole:
Just to be nice, because we all love reading fav authors, I will be allowing 1 old author in our reading mix, provided that it is at least a brand new series to you. No continuing a series with a 'new' installment.

Please, when you are updating the thread and your numbered tally post, list out exactly what slot the book is going to fit. for instance '1st adult pick, genre PNR/UF, old author new series'. I can probably figure it out on my own, but it'll save me so much time.

Lastly! If you are looking for possibilities definitely check out each genre's folder/thread.

Okay, I'm ready for your questions, and happy Challenge to you all!

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Apr 01, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Angie #16: FINISHED!!!
Laurel #48: FINISHED!
Kdbrand #6: FINISHED!!
Rhondav #210: FINISHED
7hir7een #105: FINISHED
Diane #5: FINISHED!!
Kelly #177: FINISHED!
Linda #60: FINISHED!!!
Athena #292: FINISHED!!!
Sarah #295: FINISHED
Bailey #24: FINISHED
Casey #19: FINISHED
Jen #39: FINISHED
Christie #12: FINISHED
Ash Wednesday #43: FINISHED
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal) #82: FINISHED
Kim #100: FINISHED
Ashley #73: FINISHED
Natalie #28 FINISHED
Erika #53: FINISHED
R #21: FINISHED
Jennifer #13: FINISHED! Two Rounds
Anna #7: FINISHED! Two Rounds

Alexa #306: 4/6 realistic/fantasy/pnr/sci-fi (1 adult)
Brittney #124: 1/6 PNR
Carol #108:
Christina #50:
Dawn #59: 3/6 sci-fi/fantasy/historical
Dee #71: 4/6 historical/other/realistic/fantasy
Elaine #51: 4/6 realistic/sci-fi/historical/fantasy
Emily #30: 5/6 realistic/other/historical/fantasy/sci-fi
Frishawn #98: 2/6 historical/fantasy (1 adult)
Go Go Chocobo #356:
Gremlin #62: 4/6 sci-fi/realistic/other/fantasy
Jenny #4: 3/6 fantasy/UF/sci-fi (1 adult)
Kim #65: 1/6 PNR
Kira #23: 2/6 fantasy/sci-fi
Kristen #285:
Maria #204: 2/6 PNR/fantasy
Michelle {Book Hangovers} #90: 5/6 other/realistic/sci-fi/UF/fantasy
Nathalie #123: 2/6 Fantasy/PNR
Nicole K #139: 1/6 sci-fi
Sandra #27: 4/6 realistic/PNR/sci-fi/fantasy
Shera #279: 2/6 sci-fi/fantasy
Stacie #11: 3/6 fantasy/realistic/other
Wendy F #3: 4/6 Fantasy/UF/realistic/sci-fi (1 adult and loophole)

message 3: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Mar 02, 2014 12:16PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I have absolutely no idea what to go with, but here's where my tally will be!

Possibilities:
Other: Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen The Princess Bride  by William Goldman The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1) by Peter S. Beagle
Fantasy: The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1) by Chelsea M. Campbell Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1) by Jonathan Stroud Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson
Realistic Fic: Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1) by Fisher Amelie
PN/UF: Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger
Sci-Fi/Dystopian: Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers The House of the Scorpion (Matteo Alacran, #1) by Nancy Farmer The Enemy (The Enemy #1) by Charlie Higson Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi
Historical: Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1) by Megan Shepherd If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan The Truth About Sparrows  by Marian Hale The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti Helen of Troy by Margaret George Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1) by A.S. Peterson

Possible loophole pick for Fantasy: The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Wendy's picks:

Fantasy
The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1) by Chelsea M. Campbell

UF
Pretty When She Dies (Pretty When She Dies, #1) by Rhiannon Frater

Realistic
Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield

Sci-Fi
Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin

Other/nonfic
Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

message 4: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Jan 28, 2014 07:18AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I'm in.
My possibilities-

Fantasy:
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1) by Sherry Thomas Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes

Sci-fi:
Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Unraveling (Unraveling, #1) by Elizabeth Norris The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken The Iron Thorn (Iron Codex, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1) by Cristin Terrill

UF/PNR:
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) by Sarah Fine Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep

Historical:
The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1) by Anne Blankman
(I'm jealous of everyone who gets to put Code Name Verity or Between Shades of Gray here.)

Contemporary Realistic:
Also Known As (Also Known As, #1) by Robin Benway No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

Other:
Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) by Juliet Marillier The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (Adult books, YA feel)

Loophole pool to maybe use for one of the genres:
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Adult pool:
A Dance of Cloaks (Shadowdance, #1) by David Dalglish Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) by Michael J. Sullivan The Black Prism by Brent Weeks The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1) by Sandy Williams The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1) by Rachel Aaron The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons

Finished:
The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1) by Sherry Thomas Fantasy
The Shadow Reader (Shadow Reader, #1) by Sandy Williams UF/PNR
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Sci-fi

message 5: by Diane (last edited Feb 13, 2014 10:25AM) (new)

Diane | 1126 comments I have many that are going around in my mind. I'm in. Here is my "Working List" subject to change on a whim.
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Fantasy finished 2/6
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Historical Fiction finished 1/12
In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters Paranormal finished 2/9
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green realistic fiction / contemporary - still waiting :(
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Adult pick - Urban Fantasy finished 1/1
All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1) by Cristin Terrill - Science fiction finished 1/19
If You Find Me A Novel by Emily Murdoch realistic fiction finished 2/12

message 6: by Kdbrand (last edited Jan 28, 2014 12:48PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 352 comments Updated 1/24/14 The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell -done

Count me in too. Now to figure out what to read.

Here are my possibles:

Science Fiction: The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken -read this one *Finished
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman -New Author

Fantasy: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas -New Author *Finished

PNR/UF: Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston -New Author *Finished

Historical Fiction: Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer -New Author *Finished

Realistic Fiction: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell -New Author *Finished

(Adult book with a YA feel): Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen -read this one *Finished
The Round House by Louise Erdrich -New Author

message 7: by Anna (last edited Mar 04, 2014 09:17AM) (new)

Anna | 199 comments I'm in!

Question - Can I use Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh as my "loophole" book since I've been reading her blog but this will be the first book I've read by her?

Realistic fiction:
John Green
Rainbow Rowell

Fantasy:
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1) by James A. Owen Faerie Wars (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #1) by Herbie Brennan

Science fiction:
Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken

Historical fiction:
Bright Young Things (Bright Young Things, #1) by Anna Godbersen Strings Attached by Judy Blundell

PNR/UF:
The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown

Round 1 - Completed
Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown Strings Attached by Judy Blundell The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

Round 2 - Completed
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater - PNR, loophole
Death Cloud (Sherlock Holmes The Legend Begins, #1) by Andrew Lane - historical fiction
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - realistic fiction
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken - science fiction
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta - fantasy
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan - other (glbt)

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1126 comments I do not see a genere of contemporary fiction - is that the same as realistic fiction? I see a lot of books categorized as contemporary but we do not have that genere listed

message 9: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Dec 27, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Anna wrote: "I'm in!

Question - Can I useHyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh as my "loophole" book since I've bee..."

Yep, that would be fine Anna. It would work well as a 'other' non-fic pick. It would also count as your Adult pick.

I may actually steal that idea! Thanks, hahaha!

message 10: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Diane wrote: "I do not see a genere of contemporary fiction - is that the same as realistic fiction? I see a lot of books categorized as contemporary but we do not have that genere listed"

Yes, contemp and realistic fic would be the same thing.

message 11: by Stacie (last edited Apr 01, 2014 12:25PM) (new)

Stacie  (stack-i-e) | 299 comments I'm in! And super excited because I haven't done a challenge in awhile!
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Genre= Fantasy New author Finished 1~16, loved!
The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna Switching to Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Genre = SciFi New author Finished 3~28 Quick read, fun concept The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1) by Stacey Kade or Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck Genre = PNR/UF New author Finished 3~31 Not a fan, a little to redundant and cheesy for me.
Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen Genre = Realistic New author Finished 1~29
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Genre = Historical New author ~ Failed, didn't get too
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Genre = Other New author Finished 3~36! and Wow!

message 12: by Christie (last edited Mar 31, 2014 05:09PM) (new)

Christie (cereale) | 446 comments I am in and excited about clearing off my to read list. Here are my possibilities:

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1) by Diana Peterfreund Science Fiction - New author FINISHED
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Fantasy - New Author FINISHED
Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss, #1) by Sarwat Chadda PNF/UF - New Author FINISHED
Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein Historical Fiction - New Author FINISHED
Before I Die by Jenny Downham Realistic Fiction - New authorFINISHED
Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman Other - Adult Book that Feels like YA (YALSA Alex Award 2013) - New Author FINISHED

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 24, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

Jennifer | 274 comments I'm in and super stoked. Here's my list of possibilities: - Round 2 :)
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken - Science Fiction - New Author *Finished 2/7/14
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner - Fantasy - New Author * Finished 2/16/14
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate - PNF/UF - New Author *Finished 2/13/14
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - Historical Fiction - New Author *Finished 3/17/14
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen - Realistic Fiction - New Author *Finished 3/22/14
Smile (Smile, #1) by Raina Telgemeier - Other - Graphic Novel - New Author *Finished 3/24/14
Round 1 finished books:
Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1) by Maureen Johnson The Pale Assassin by Patricia Elliott Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1126 comments One more clarifying question- do we have to have each pick from a different genre or can we have two from the same genre as long as the author is new or one is adult reads like YA and the other is actually YA?

message 15: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Dec 27, 2013 02:52PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments One from each category. I'm 99.999% certain. I think.
Also, @Jennifer - Shadow & Bone is actually a high fantasy.

message 16: by Angie (last edited Jan 22, 2014 01:36PM) (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 824 comments I'm in!

✔Science Fiction: Alienated (Alienated, #1) by Melissa Landers
✔Fantasy: Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix
✔PNR/UF: The Promise (Coven, #1) by Apryl Baker
✔Historical Fiction: Witch Finder (Witch Finder, #1) by Ruth Warburton
✔Realistic Fiction: Where You'll Find Me by Erin Fletcher
✔Other: Alive (Crave, #1) by Megan D. Martin

message 17: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Jenny is correct, it is one book from each genre.

Jenny, I was just getting ready to say that about the fantasy book, haha.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 824 comments I have a probably dumb question, but would NA count as our adult pick like in the other challenges or can we use it as our Adult that reads like YA pick?

I have this awesome looking NA zombie apocalypse/dystopia that I got for review, and wondering where it would fit.

message 19: by Casey (last edited Mar 25, 2014 07:55PM) (new)

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Hmm this sounds harder than i think my mind can handle after the holidays, but I'm in anyway. Here's a stupid question, other than guessing based of the description, is there another way to tell what genre a book is? A more obvious way.
I am thinking:
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater for Paranormal Romance
City of Orphans by Avi Historical Fiction
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima for Fantasy

Completed:
City of Orphans by Avi Historical Fiction
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Paranormal Romance
The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Fantasy
Game Slaves by Gard Skinner Sc-Fi
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Other/Classic

message 20: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Dec 27, 2013 10:05PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments These genres are pretty basic and are different enough that it shouldn't be difficult to figure out where books fit based on synopses. But if one gives you trouble, Goodreads lists genres on the book's page - these listed genres are based on what people have shelved the book as, so that isn't always exact (particularly with YA) because a lot of people just don't know what they're doing. Amazon's book pages list genres as well, under the section "Look for Similar Items by Category" and those are pretty accurate because they're supplied by the publisher. This info is also usually (though not always) listed inside the book, on the copyright page, like so:

ETA: If a particular genre is giving someone trouble or you don't have a good grasp of what one of the genres really is, Stacia has made a post explaining the group's genre folders and what those genres mean here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by R.A. (last edited Mar 31, 2014 07:31AM) (new)

R.A. Desilets | 363 comments I'm in!! Potential list below. I own three of these books - shame on me for not reading them sooner <_<

Science Fiction: The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson finished 2/11

Fantasy: The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima finished 3/24

Urban Fantasy / PNR: Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand finished (3/6)

Historical Fiction: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne finished 3/31

Realistic Fiction: On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta finished 1/6

Other: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz finished 3/27

message 22: by Rachel (last edited Mar 31, 2014 01:24PM) (new)

Rachel | 555 comments This sounds like fun! I'm in!

Finished:
Asylum (Birch Harbor, #1) by Kristen Selleck (Paranormal)
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman (Sci-Fi)
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta (Fantasy)
Wake A Novel by Anna Hope (Hist Fic/Adult)
Lemon Swamp and Other Places A CAROLINA MEMOIR by Mamie Garvin Fields (Memoir/Non-fiction)

So many to chose from!

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman (SF)
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta (Fantasy)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor (PNR/UF)
On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (Realistic-ish)
Wake A Novel by Anna Hope (Hist Fic/Adult)
Lemon Swamp and Other Places A CAROLINA MEMOIR by Mamie Garvin Fields (Memoir/Non-fiction)

Subject to change, but I'm feelin' pretty good about this list

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2014 07:00PM) (new)

I love this challenge! I sucked royally on the last challenge but I think this one will actually help me pick through my to-read pile.

Fantasy potentials:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Contemporary potentials:
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1) by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Historical Fiction potentials:
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub

Sci-Fi:
Salvage by Alexandra Duncan The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

Urban fantasy:
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1) by H.D. Gordon

Other:
Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier

Completed: 2/6
Fantasy: Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard
Dystopian/Sci-fi?: Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown

message 24: by Bailey (last edited Mar 14, 2014 09:48PM) (new)

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Fun! I'm in. Now I'll just need some suggestions for some of my less read genre's. I need more but this is just a start.
Possibles
Fantasy:
Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard
Sci-fi:
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
UF/PNR:
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins
Historical:
The Caged Graves by Dianne K. Salerni
Contemporary Realistic:
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins
Other:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Loophole:
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Completed
6/6
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Caged Graves by Dianne K. Salerni Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 25: by Bailey (new)

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Kira wrote: "I love this challenge! I sucked royally on the last challenge but I think this one will actually help me pick through my to-read pile.

Fantasy potentials:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas[boo..."

OooOooo...I'm so going to pick through your lists! You always have good taste ;)
And OMG, read Throne of Glass lady!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Bailey wrote: "And OMG, read Throne of Glass lady!"

Oy, I know! I'm working up to it, I really am.

message 27: by Sandra (last edited Mar 25, 2014 11:00PM) (new)

Sandra | 854 comments I'm in! I'll have to pick up paper and pen to ponder some potentials for each genre.

Progress: Better than expected 4/6
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins :Realistic Fiction, known author
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman : Sci-fi
Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1) by Delilah S. Dawson : PRN, adult
Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1) by Isobelle Carmody : fantasy

message 28: by Natalie (last edited Mar 30, 2014 05:01PM) (new)

Natalie | 114 comments I'll join again.

Rated YA-MA: First Quarter Challenge: New, New and New, 2014 Edition
Completed 6 out of 6

Science Fiction
The 100 by Kass Morgan 1/11

Fantasy
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo 2/6

PNR/UF
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black 2/23

Historical Fiction
Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein 2/1

Realistic Fiction
This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales 3/30

Other (Adult with YA Feel, all the books won Alex Awards)
The Magicians (The Magicians, #1) by Lev Grossman 3/29

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalie wrote: "I'll join again."

Oh, I hope you read, and love, Daughter of the Forest!

message 30: by Emily (last edited Mar 17, 2014 05:24AM) (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments I'm in! I love this challenge! I don't do possibilities ahead of time because I like to read whatever when the spirit moves me.

Completed:
Realistic Fiction: Past Perfect by Leila Sales
Other/Nonfiction: "The President Has Been Shot!" The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson
Historical Fiction: Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross
Fantasy: Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
Science Fiction: William Shakespeare's Star Wars Verily, a New Hope by Ian Doescher

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments Jennifer--I'm a little jealous of you reading Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery for the first time. It is one of my absolute all time favorites!

message 32: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Angie wrote: "I have a probably dumb question, but would NA count as our adult pick like in the other challenges or can we use it as our Adult that reads like YA pick?

I have this awesome looking NA zombie apoc..."

Not a dumb question.

NA would count as adult. However since you get both 'Adult that reads like a YA' + one more adult pick, that gives you two opportunities to read an NA/adult book.

Does that answer the question?

message 33: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Casey wrote: "Hmm this sounds harder than i think my mind can handle after the holidays, but I'm in anyway. Here's a stupid question, other than guessing based of the description, is there another way to tell wh..."

I tend to pop into the book description and check out the top 3 shelves members have placed it on. If you pick one for PNR/UF (which I would say Shiver is), and it's mostly shelved on those shelves, I'll accept it. Now, it can't just be listed as a possible shelve it has to be one of the more popular shelves for the book.

message 34: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Jenny wrote: "These genres are pretty basic and are different enough that it shouldn't be difficult to figure out where books fit based on synopses. But if one gives you trouble, Goodreads lists genres on the bo..."

Thanks Jenny! Perfect answer.

message 35: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Okay, I think I have added everyone to the tally, but it's always a good idea to check and make sure you're listed and I have your post # correct.

message 36: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Can the author still be considered new to you if you have only read a short novella by them?

message 37: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Hmmm, I'm going to go with no on that one, though it did make me debate it.

However, you could use that for your loophole book.

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 824 comments Wendy F wrote: "Angie wrote: "I have a probably dumb question, but would NA count as our adult pick like in the other challenges or can we use it as our Adult that reads like YA pick?

I have this awesome looking ..."

Yep! Thanks. :)

message 39: by Jen (last edited Feb 25, 2014 10:41AM) (new)

Jen (jeninthed) I'm in!

Science Fiction: The Moon Dwellers

Fantasy: Shadowborn

✔ PNR/UF: Untamed City: Carnival of Secrets

Historical Fiction: The Night Circus

✔ Realistic Fiction: Holier Than Thou

✔ Other/Loophole Adult: Waking Up Married

message 40: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Dec 28, 2013 08:14PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Kira wrote: "I love this challenge! I sucked royally on the last challenge but I think this one will actually help me pick through my to-read pile.

Fantasy potentials:
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas[boo..."

Oh gad, The Mad Scientist's Daughter! *whispers* yessssss (ETA: though that's like 75% adult 25% YA)

I wanna join! It's going to take me a bit of time to figure out my picks.

message 41: by Sandra (last edited Dec 31, 2013 01:53AM) (new)

Sandra | 854 comments Okay, here my potential reads for the challenge (some genres are difficult for me, I'll try to look for ideas here.

Sci-fi: These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Fantasy: Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff

PNR UF: Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater * Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper A Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop *A The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon

Realistic Fiction: Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins *

Historical fiction: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey

Others:??

(*) Known author
(A) Adult

message 42: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Sandra, are you going to be updating post 41 with your reads?

message 43: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Mar 30, 2014 04:57AM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments (Are galleys okay provided the book gets released before March 2014?)
Tentative list:

Fantasy: The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima (done 03.07.14) Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix

Sci-Fi/Dystopia: Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Divided We Fall by Trent Reedy (done: 01.12.14) Fire Country (The Country Saga, #1) by David Estes

Contemporary: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (done 01.13.14) I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Pretenders - FREE PREVIEW EDITION (The First 60 Page) by Lisi Harrison

Historical: Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein (done: 02.20.14) The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Old author, new book loophole: The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1) by Cassandra Rose Clarke (done: 03.30.14) Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West

Adult with YA feel: Peacemaker (Arcane West, #1) by K.A. Stewart (done: 01.07.14)

Completed: 6/6

message 44: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Galleys are fine, as long as they fit in the 'new author, each genre' guideline.

Are you going to post your updates in post #43?

message 45: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Dec 28, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Okay thanks :) Yes, I'll be picking (atleast) one for each of those categories I made (all are new authors for me save for the old author loophole pile)

ETA: I'm not sure if Unholy Ghosts has a YA feel... Anyone?

message 46: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I would say, not really. It's definitely all adult.

message 47: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Okay will have to find a new one for that category :)

message 48: by laurel [suspected bibliophile] (last edited Jan 23, 2014 06:08AM) (new)

laurel [suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 224 comments Count me in!

Possible pool

Science Fiction These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Read!
Fantasy: To Stand Beside Her by B. Kristin McMichael Read!
PNR/UF: Lightbringer (Lightbringer, #1) by K.D. McEntire Read!
Historical Fiction: A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly Read!
Realistic: Cinderella in Skates by Carly Syms Read!
Other (Classic): Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Read!

Update: 6/6 Finished

message 49: by Casey (new)

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Jenny wrote: "These genres are pretty basic and are different enough that it shouldn't be difficult to figure out where books fit based on synopses. But if one gives you trouble, Goodreads lists genres on the bo..."

tHANK YOU!

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina (alinastarkov) | 254 comments Ooh, count me in!! I'll come back and add books as I go just like last time.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10