Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for graphic novels. I read quite a few and was hoping to find something new and different from some of you.

Some of my favorites this year have been...

Scott Pilgrim, Vol. 1 Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

Blankets

Wonton Soup

North World Book 1 The Epic of Conrad

Of course, I'm all for superhero books too.

Thanks!

message 2: by Joanie (last edited Jun 25, 2009 12:00PM) (new)

Joanie | 335 comments Hi Doug,
I haven't read a ton of graphic novels and most of the ones I've read are probably familiar to you but here they are anyway.

Persepolis
Persepolis II
Maus
Maus II
Fun Home
One Hundred Demons

Right now I'm reading The Greastest of Marlys and The Freddie Stories both by Lynda Barry who also wrote 100 Demons. They're more a collection of comic strips than a true graphci novel but they're fun anyway.

I also started Epileptic at one point but it was due back at the library and I never took it out again. I have Blankets but haven't read it yet.

Maybe one of these will be new to you-if not hopefully someone else has some idea, good luck!

message 3: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) I highly recommend Kingdom Come
Its a great story and somewhat stand alone so it doesn't require too much previous knowledge of the DCU. It helps to be familiar with the various characters but is not required.

Death the High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman
Every 100 years, Death must spend one day as a mortal so she can better understand the lives she takes.

I remember really enjoying Midnight Nation - New Edition though its been so many years now that I can't remember a lot of the details.

Also,
Rising Stars, Book 1 Born In Fire
Rising Stars, Book 2 Power
Rising Stars, Book 3 Fire And Ash
There are additional books which contain some side stories, but these three cover the complete main story.

Y: The Last Man
There are a number of volumes, though it is a completed self contained story.

That's all I can think of off hand (I'm at work at the moment). I'll browse my library at home tonight and post more if I run across any I think might be good.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethswaney) DMZ by Brian Wood is good

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments "Le Triangle Secret." Not sure if the series is available in English, but it is a very popular bande-dessinee in France. It's sort of a take-off on the Freemasons craze started by the Da Vinci Code.

message 6: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) I'm going to be reading Watchmen by Alan Moore soon, which I heard is a great graphic novel. I have never read one before, so I am kind of iffy about it.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I recommend Ode To Kirihito and The Buddha series, both by Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka is the grandpappy of Japanese manga and although I'm not a fan of all his works, these epics are among my favourate graphic novels of all time.

I'm also a fan of Alan Moore's work, or as much as I've read of his so far. I found it a little hard to get into Watchmen at the start, but if was well worth sticking with in the end and V for Vendetta was fantastic.

Those with darker tastes might was to check out Jhonen Vasquez, but just to warn you, his material is VERY black humour and a bit niche. I imagine it could offend a fair few.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (morgantina) Just a few off the top of my head:

Matt Wagner's Grendel Devil By The Deed
Battle Angel Alita, Volume 1 Rusty Angel series by Yukito Kishiro
Frank Miller's Batman/ Batman The Dark Knight Returns work and 300
Bone The Complete Cartoon Epic in One Volume by Jeff Smith is great fun
Usagi Yojimbo, Book 1 The Ronin by Stan Sakai
Palestine by Joe Sacco

As already mentioned: Neil Gaiman's Death, Persepolis, Watchmen, Maus, Kingdom Come

And Blankets is one of my favorite books of all time.

Really want to read Alan's War The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope by Guibert.

Thanks for posting the question!

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie If you've read any of Frank Beddor's 'Looking Glass Wars' series, there's a graphic novel that accompanies it called Hatter M. I think to better understand it, reading the first book is recommended, but not necessary.

One of the other Graphic Novel series' I've been sucked into is Nightmare Inspector Yumekui Kenbun, Volume 1. I think they're up to eight or nine volumes; the complete story arch is interesting, but most of the GN's are broken into small vignettes.

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 30 comments Highly recommend Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba's
The Umbrella Academy (so looking forward to the movie too!!)

Loved Hatter M. too, and all of the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolemumey) Fables is AMAZING!

message 12: by Rose (new)

Rose | 76 comments American Born Chinese

message 13: by Efe (new)

Efe Ex Machina is also good.

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizrapp) How about the Arrival by Shaun Tan?

message 15: by Mae (new)

Mae (birdsinflight) | 117 comments I've not heard of a single one of these books. I thought I've read graphic novels...but I guess I haven't.

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla (bcshutterbug) Angel Sanctuary by Kaori Yuki is my favorite. It's long and a little disturbing at times, but incredibly involved and interesting. It's 20 volumes.
D. Gray Man by Katsura Hoshino is pretty good too. I got attatched to the characters pretty quickly. It's up 12 or 13 in english so far I think.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Nicole wrote: "Fables is AMAZING! "

Thanks! I was wondering about that series. It will likely be the next I pick up.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Monef wrote: "Ex Machina is also good."

I read the first volume in that one but it was kind of slow. Does the pace pick up?

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (missmel821) | 26 comments The Walking Dead series is fantastic!

message 20: by James (new)

James Aaron | 76 comments Ronin by Frank Miller stands out as an essential read. The Hellboy and BPRD graphic novels are also good.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Herriott (grizza) I read Preracher and Fables last year and loved them both.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul Herriott (grizza) Also just getting into Runaways. Is very good so far.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The art in this series is INCREDIBLE, the story is decent enough, but the art makes it work reading for sure.

message 24: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I just read Stitches by David Small which I LOVED and American Widow by Alissa Torres which was okay.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Michelle wrote: "Frank Miller's Batman..."

I'm glad someone mentioned Batman! A lot of people might look down on 'hero' comics, but some of the Batman stuff, like Miller's, Moore's and Morrison's works are a cut above the rest and I absolutely love him - he is an excellent character. My personal favourates are Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: The Killing Joke.

New series Mouse Guard is worth a look too, absolutely stunning artwork - really liking them.

Also, several people have mentioned them now already...but Fables and Preacher - both very good.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Swamp Thing Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing

This book is also awesome. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

message 27: by Michael (last edited May 05, 2010 05:46AM) (new)

Michael Pischak (michaelpischak) Doug wrote: "Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for graphic novels. I read quite a few and was hoping to find something new and different from some of you.

Some of my ..."

Doug,

The absolute BEST Graphic novel series out there is the PREACHER series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Absolutely one of the most amazing stories and artwork. Also, I would reccomend the SANDMAN series by Neil Gaiman. A very interesting series of 10 books with some of the craziest storytelling out there. I have also started reading the FABLES series. very interesting, the fairy tales are all real and have been exiled by a force led by "the adversary" to modern day Manhattan. INTERESTING AND FUN. Trust me it is more serious than it sounds. The first book features a murder mystery. Rose Red, sister of Snow White(the deputy mayor of Fabletown), is missing and there is blood everywhere in her apartment. Bigby Wolf(The Big Bad Wolf), head of security for Fabletown investigates.