What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > story is a couple who live in a city and end up moving to the country, "up a holler" because of financial reasons. Think it is from the girl/woman's point of view.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wkd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Wkd | 51 comments For several years I have been trying to discover the name of a book that I swore I would never forget....

I know it was published between 1989 and 1999. The author's name may be in the first half of the alphabet, if I remember correctly where it sat on the new books shelf. I thought it was an Algonquin Press but may be way off.

The story is a couple who live in a city and end up moving to the country, "up a holler" because of financial reasons. Think it is from the girl/woman's point of view. There are a few others living in the isolation of the holler as well....

Not sure when it is set, except sometime in the 20th century, probably closer to this end. Seems to me that the main character walked everywhere she had to go.

I think there might have been yellow on the cover and possibly flowers????

Any help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Wkd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Wkd | 51 comments maybe someone new will know..

I also remember vaguely there being some empty houses or an empty house where the girl finds some things she can use. She had to walk everywhere so trips to a store were few and far between.

message 3: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Maybe with all of the newer members, SOMEONE will recognize this. It has driven me crazy for years.

The author might have three names......I knew I would never forget it.

I think it was a younger couple, either late teens or early 20s....

Help!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments A few questions:

Was the "up a holler" expression actually used in the book or are you adding that now? (If it's in the book it might narrow it down regionally to some extent).

A novel or nonfiction?

Young adult or adult book?

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments I think you may be referring to Where the Lilies Bloom by Vera and Bill Cleaver. It was originally published in 1969, but reprinted in 1989:

Mary Call has promised her dying father to keep her brother and sisters together forever on the mountain, and never to take any help from strangers. She is determined to keep her word. No matter what. At first she is sure she can manage. Romey, Ima Dean, and Devola help gather herbs to sell in town; the riches of the mountains will surely keep the family clothed and fed. But then winter comes, fast and furious, and Mary Call has to learn that the land where the lilies bloom is also a cruel and unforgiving place, and it may take more than a promise to keep her family together.

message 6: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments That's not it but closer than anything. I still think it was a young couple but not much other family. Thanks for looking!

message 7: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments I believe the term was used in the book. The area that they moved to from either a city or town was VERY rural/isolated. There were a few houses there but people had to walk to get to any kind of store.

Unfortunately, most of the librarians from that time period are gone and the two left didn't remember the book. I have been so tempted to ask if there is a list of ALL fiction printed/purchased during that time period and see if I can figure it out by elimination.

message 8: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments It was fiction. I'm not sure the library even had a real YA section at that time. I think it might have been adult fiction but as mentioned above, a young couple.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 20 comments "I have been so tempted to ask if there is a list of ALL fiction printed/purchased during that time period and see if I can figure it out by elimination."

Have you tried an advanced search in Amazon? Go to Books, then click on advanced search right under the search box. You can enter Algonquin under the publisher, enter the particular time period you know is correct, click on "fiction and literature" for the category -- and see what you get.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I've also had good luck with google book search if I can remember key words and exact phrases:

http://books.google.com/advanced_book...

Of course, I've found a few books because of this group after unsuccessfully checking google books, but I think that it's always worth a try.

message 11: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 08, 2008 12:58PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments Could it be Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani? The date's a little off, (the hardback was published in 2001) but the description fits fairly well.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments You can search WorldCat at your local library, or Library of Congress at LOC.gov.

message 13: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Okay, thanks for everyone's input. I have tried a number of search engines from Amazon to LibraryThing with no luck.

It is a young couple, not brother & sister.
I really think the author had three names.
I know that it was in the new book section, somewhere between 1989 and 2000 (our library moved in 2000 to a brandnew building).

There are cars, etc and close to the end of the book, an ATV is mentioned, which makes me think it was a fairly recent setting.

Again, thanks for any help!

message 14: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments trying again. Still want to figure out what this book was.

message 15: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments The Crystal Garden by Vicki Grove The Crystal Garden by Vicki Grove. pub. 1994.
Summary: Looking for a new beginning after her father's death, Eliza and her mother move to a backwater town in Missouri where Eliza's desperate attempts to be popular in her new school are thwarted by her growing friendship with the eccentric girl next door.

message 16: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 58 comments its probably not, but all of donald haringtons books take place in a very rural and isolated place, but a still "modern" setting. there are definitely characters who move from cities to the isolated town of stay more, and are frequently narrated by women.

message 17: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Still hoping that someone will remember this book.

It was just a couple, not a family. I think they/he couldn't find work which was what prompted the move. She might have been pregnant. She spends a lot of time on her own or without her husband around.

message 18: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments Well, lots of the details don't fit, but take a look at Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech.

message 19: by Dree (new)

Dree This makes me think of Gap Creek : The Story Of A Marriage. It was an Oprah pick in 2000. I don't think they were from a city, though.

message 20: by Brenda (last edited Mar 11, 2010 02:04PM) (new)

Brenda | 147 comments What about THIS HOLLER IS MY HOME by Alyce Faye Bragger?
It's from 1993, the author has three names, the cover is yellow.....

message 21: by Billie (new)

Billie (animalrn) | 3 comments This may be a long shot but Sharon McCrumb's "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" uses that expression and has a pregnant woman who moved from the city.

message 22: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments I'm still looking for this book. I've done a lot of searching on Amazon, Library Thing, goodreads, etc. I've read lists from various libraries trying to find it. Keep hoping that someone will recognize it. I am reasonably certain that it was a female author. Thanks!

message 23: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Jul 20, 2010 07:17PM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Here are some Google searches for the time period:
up a holler: http://www.google.com/search?q="...

up the holler: http://www.google.com/search?q="...

If those don't get you anywhere, it seems like Algonquin Press is the same as Algonquin Books? If so, you could look at their author list and see if anything jumps out at you?

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookophile) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Could it be Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani? The date's a little off, (the hardback was published in 2001) but the description fits fairly well.
"

That was my guess . . .

message 25: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments I think it is in a more modern setting than that - and I don't remember many/any substories going on.

I did go through the google links - many thanks for your help, Nikki, much appreciated.

I will work my way through the Algonquin list and let you all know. Thanks again for your help!

message 26: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments En Garde! wrote: "Ruby Holler? Like kids that are orphans and stuff?"

You know I was thinking it could be Ruby Holler (Joanna Cotler Books) by Sharon Creech too but the story doesn't quite fit I think.

message 27: by Brenda (last edited Aug 27, 2010 01:52PM) (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Are you certain it's not THIS HOLLER IS MY HOME? By
Alyce Faye Bragg - the husband loses his job and the couple have to move.

message 28: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments I have ordered a copy of "This Holler" to check it out. Thanks for your help!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I hope this turns out to be the book you're looking for!

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita | 41 comments Well, I was raised "down in the holler". I don't see how you can be "up" a holler since a holler is land between/below hills or mountains. Kind of like a small valley.

Try Christy by Catherine Marshall or maybe some of those V. C. Andrews novels.

Good luck.

message 31: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments @Anita - thanks for your comment. What do you call it when you live at the top of a "holler"? Maybe that is even more confusing. I just remember that the houses seemed to be located up a dirt path/road that was kind of a valley between the mountains.

It's definitely not "Christy" - I read that probably 40 years ago and still remember crying over the diptheria? outbreak.

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita | 41 comments Well, I had a neighbor who lived at the top of the holler from me and I guess if were to say that I was visiting them I would say 'I'm going up the hill' or 'I'm going up to the road' or maybe 'I'm going up the holler'. So, I guess 'up the holler' makes since in that context.

Now, if I'm in the holler and I want to visit someone further away I would say 'I'm going 'round the road'.

If I was in town and was heading back to the holler I would say 'I'm going back to the boondocks' or 'I'm heading back up the mountain'.

I would probably make note of a crick (creek) or two on the drive back. HaHa.

This is kind of funny because you never really know how people speak from different areas until you've actually spent some time there.

I hope you find it. I'll keep thinking. I wouldn't mind reading a up/down in the holler book.

message 33: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments You are so right. Never really thought about it. In my mind's eye, I pictured it as a place, uphill, between two other hills. I think I remember that she (the main character) had to walk "down" to get to town.

I remember reading it and thinking it could have been set at any time until I got close to the end and someone was riding ATVs/Quads - which is what makes me think it is a more recent setting.

message 34: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments It wasn't "This Holler", darn!

Young COUPLE - unable to find work, move back to where the husband is from (I think). The wife is on her own quite a bit. They have to walk almost everywhere. There are a few other characters. I think there was another couple close to their own age who had a few more "modern" amenities. I also think there might have been an older woman who gave her advice?

I think the author had three names.
Published between 1989 and 1999.

I've used various search engines, lists of books by Southern writers, Algonquin.

Not giving up yet!

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments You can play with this, too...http://www.jacketflap.com/

message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyclarkbooks) | 29 comments How about 40 Acres and No Mule by Janice Holt Giles?
In the late 1940s, Janice and Henry Giles moved from Louisville, Kentucky, back to the Appalachian hill country where Henry had grown up a d where his family had lived since the time of the Revolution. With their savings, the couple bought a ramshackle house and forty acres of land on a ridge top and set out to be farmers like Henry's forebears.

message 37: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Thanks, sounds very close but I definitely remember an ATV towards the end of the book. I can remember reading the part and thinking it was kind of strange, but definitely moved the book setting into more current times.

message 38: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments I keep hoping with new people joining that someone will know what this is. I've checked out almost every "tool" that has been suggested.

It seems to me that maybe there was an abandoned house or houses where the couple lived. It was told from the wife's point of view.

I want to say that the path/road back to the houses was either very gravelly or very rocky, but I'm not sure if that is a detail that my mind has added.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36940 comments Mod
Wkd, are you still looking for this book?

message 40: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1042 comments Sharon McCrumb has written many books about this area as well. Perhaps it is one of hers?

message 41: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 187 comments Hi there, I'm not sure about the book, but I wanted to second Anita's statement that a holler is a valley, and I've only heard it used specific to Appalachia, if that helps narrow down the setting of the book any. Also, (Anita may be able to confirm), but I always thought it was "hollow" and it was just pronounced as holler in the Appalachian dialect.

message 42: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1175 comments Laina wrote: "Hi there, I'm not sure about the book, but I wanted to second Anita's statement that a holler is a valley, and I've only heard it used specific to Appalachia, if that helps narrow down the setting ..."

I'm gonna agree, I've never heard of that term being used anywhere else. There are a couple listopias of Appalachian fiction. Might be worth checking them.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 43: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Thank you for your help. I'm still looking.

message 44: by Beverlyc (last edited Feb 04, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

Beverlyc Living "up a holler" is common terminology in WV & KY...used much like "up the street" in which the word "up" doesn't necessarily mean "rising."

message 45: by Wkd (new)

Wkd | 51 comments Thanks all!

It was in the new books section of our library - sometime between 1989 & 1999 - I think closer to the beginning of those limits. We moved to Ohio in 1989 so that was the start. The library moved to a new location at the end of 1999. It was a new book & not a reprint.

It was a contemporary novel but I'm not sure I realized it until almost the end - the story was timeless.

I believe the author had 3 names - like Mary Lou Smith .

message 46: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 58 comments it could be Anne Rivers Siddons...

message 47: by Ayshe (new)

message 48: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 339 comments I haven't read this but the blurb mentions a "holler".
from the blurb:
"When Jennifer, a college student, returns to her childhood home of Hoot Owl Holler with a tape recorder, the tales of murder and suicide, incest and blood ties, bring to life a vibrant story of a doomed family that still refuses to give up....

"Deft and assured....[Lee Smith] is nothing less than masterly."

THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
Oral History Oral History by Lee Smith

message 49: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4730 comments Wkd, do you remember the tone of the book? Was it mysterious, relfective, humorous, etc?

Do you remember the main conflict in the story? Was it fitting in to the town, the dissolve of the couple's marriage, poverty, etc?

message 50: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30954 comments Mod
Tab wrote: "Wkd, do you remember the tone of the book? Was it mysterious, relfective, humorous, etc?

Do you remember the main conflict in the story? Was it fitting in to the town, the dissolve of the couple'..."

Good questions. What type of work did the husband do/try to do before and after the move to the 'small valley'?

Was the wife originally from the city? You mentioned the husband might be from this remote rural area.

Does religion play a strong role in the story?

« previous 1