European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > Rose of York - Chapters 21-30

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Boy, Edward and George certainly seem to drink a lot! Poor Richard is such a contrast to his brothers. Edward and George seem to live for themselves and themselves alone. Edward married Bess because he wanted her; George married Bella because he thought he would get a crown. Richard loves Anne for herself, yet he sacrifices that love for loyalty to his brother. George and Edward seem to just want to have a good time. It was surprising that Edward fled without taking Bess with. I'm sure he thought she was fine in sanctuary (which she was), but with how much her family was hated, it seemed risky (especially since they did kill her dad and brother).

I also feel sorry for John Neville. He, like Richard, seems to only want to do what is right, yet he gets nothing in return. He fought for Edward only to lose his Earldom (I think he was an Earl - I need to pay better attention) to his Percy rival. It certainly seems like a dog eat dog world - any sort of decency is taken advantage of and the ruthless seem to come out on top.

The description of the French King Louis XI (I think that's the right number) was very creepy. I'd like to read more about him. That nickname, the Spider King, is just so spooky, especially when Anne enters that room and there are a bunch of dogs and next to no furniture.

Edwourd seems a little strange. We haven't seen much of him yet, but it seems like his mother Marguerite of Anjou has really kind of warped his mind. I feel very sorry for gentle Anne.

I meant to mention it before, but it's interesting that two of the most powerful characters (at certain points) are women. Marguerite and Bess are impressive for the time period even though they are portrayed in a rather bad light.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I agree about the Spider King. I have never heard of him before. For some reason if Warwick trusts him I want to think he is nice, but they are sure making him out to be creepy. I too am interested in learning more about him and his reign.

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I had never heard of the Spider King either. Granted, I don't know much at all about French royalty besides what little bit I pick up when reading about British royalty. I'm going to see if there are any books written about him. If there are I'll post them here and to our bookshelf.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Well, after a quick look on Amazon, there does not seem to be anything written about the Spider King recently. There were multiple editions of The Spider King by Lawrence Schoonover (a historical novel) which got a few good reviews. There were a bunch of used, inexpensive copies for sale (seemed like from the 1950s-1960s depending on which one you clicked on). Everything else on Amazon that I looked at was kind of expensive or in French.