Axis Mundi X discussion

"Silly and with what?"

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Pentagon's spokesmen response to North Korea's threat to "wipe the US off the map"?

I understand that Nk is improvised and hanging on by a thread but they DO have nuclear weapons. I am not saying they could succeed in wiping the floor with us, but they could cause a lot of heart ache for a lot of people. It isn't as if it would be hard to smuggle a warhead or two into the US. What with our porous boarders and all. But maybe it was just a bone thrown to the media. but I don't think so. After hearing the whole statement it doesn't appear they (Department of Defense) are taking it seriously.

To me and my ability to read people I think the leadership in NK is not only chemically un-balanced but desperate; that is a dangerous mix if you ask me.

message 2: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Don't you think they are just posturing, as usual?

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard | 86 comments Let's occupy their country and find out. It worked really well the last time.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
tru enuf.

message 5: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) I sure hope it's a bluff... Servius, I've been concerned about the same thing. But then, I'm not a political maneuvers expert either.

message 6: by Servius Heiner (last edited Jun 25, 2009 09:17PM) (new)

BunWat wrote: "Thing about North Korean leadership is - we know where to find them, and they know we know where to find them. Its a helpful thing. "

What good is there in finding them after they park a boat with a nuclear device in the port/bay of San Francisco? I have no love for anything in California but that doesn't mean I want to leave them dangling in the wind exposed to a very real and potentially devastating threat. A little concern or even a statement of confidence that things are being watched would suffice, I don't need to know details other then they have a handle on it.
Richard wrote: "Let's occupy their country and find out. It worked really well the last time."

Didn't say anything about military action Richard. Simply a statement of concern over the pentagons lack of interest. Again I submit that it is possible they are just playing it down to calm nerves but after listening to the whole statement that is a hard pill to swallow. If you are one that prescribes to the belief that 9/11 could have been avoided if only we acted on the available intelligence, then I should not be wrong in wondering why this isn't being taken more seriously by the DOD.

Charissa wrote: "Don't you think they are just posturing, as usual?"

Is it worth the risk when dealing with a nuclear capable nation?

I understand there is a difference between an organization and a nation, Donna. I however do not think it is out of the range of probability that a dictator (who displays no signs of respect for human life) with failing health or his brainwashed crazy son are not concerned with the survival of the North Korean nation or staying in power.

In my last post I said I wasn't pushing for military action but after some thought maybe some surgical air strikes are in order. However that would probably result in hostile action on the DMZ and I don't think that would be beneficial to the 26K American troops we have there or the South Koreans for that matter. Long story short I don't know what action to take, I would settle for a statement saying they are on top of it instead of the "feh whatever" opinion they seem to have about the situation.

message 8: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) This may be out of left field, but...

Does this remind anyone of Japan threatening right before Pearl Harbor? Just wondering.

message 9: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) Big Brother is watching them.

message 10: by Todd (new)

Todd | 56 comments China is N. Korea's only real ally. I would imagine that since China has their own agenda in respects to the region and in respect to their relationship with us they will not allow N. Korea to ultimately undermine or endanger it. Kim Jong Il is just waving his teeny tiny weeny at the US because that is all he can do.

There is always the possibility that they really will do something totally insane. But, in the end I think this is just a weenie waving in the general direction of the U.S. Kim Jong Il just wants to defy the big boys and show that he can do whatever he wants.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Cosmic Sher wrote: "This may be out of left field, but...

Does this remind anyone of Japan threatening right before Pearl Harbor? Just wondering."

The big difference is that Japan had already taken over that side of the Pacific Rim at that point.