Debate discussion

Other Debates > Home-School vs. Public School

Comments Showing 1-50 of 238 (238 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Malaz (last edited Jun 24, 2009 07:08PM) (new)

Malaz Being homeschooled vs. going to a public school...
What are the pros and cons of each? Which one graduates a much more versatile, intellectual student?

And would you rather go to a public school or be home-schooled?

message 2: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Much better off being in public school...home school kids are emotionally crippled for life. There is no way you can reverse the kind of damage they have from being away from kids for so long, it fucks them up in the head.

Case in point: Jayda.

message 3: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments If you don't do public school, you are doing your son a disservice.

message 4: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I wouldn't take the chance.

message 5: by Malaz (last edited Jun 24, 2009 07:21PM) (new)

Malaz Many people would not agree that the social aspect of home-schooling is in fact degrading...or in the least negative. Because you have to remember although the public school experience includes a greater abundance of inter-racial and peer interaction, it also exposes your child to the negative aspects of society and peer pressure.

Here is a good website about overcoming the "social" part of homeschooling:

http://www.homeschool-expert.com/soci...

message 6: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I have, but I'm afraid it has been years since I've read anything on them. You have to pay for it correct?

message 7: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Malaz wrote: "Many people would not agree that the social aspect of home-schooling is in fact degrading...or in the least negative. Because you have to remember although the public school experience includes a g..."

To be a well-rounded individual, you absolutely HAVE to face those negative aspects of society.

message 8: by Malaz (new)

Malaz You can argue that you will end up facing those challenges in life- you can't totally avoid them.

I personally find that home-schooled kids tend to be smarter and finish school at a faster pace than public school kids. But then again, that is just a mere observation.

message 9: by Malaz (new)

Malaz Isn't admission limited- like a lottery based admission system?

It seems like the charter school combines the benefits of public school and home-school.

message 10: by Malaz (new)

Malaz Why did you consider home-schooling and charter schools in the first place? I know you said that you are "not impressed with the public school system." Would you care to elaborate?

message 11: by Malaz (new)

Malaz Paige wrote: "Well, I know from my experience, that I wasn't challenged enough in school. The fact that there are no schools under High School that teach a foreign language saddens me. My son is learning English..."

You are definitely right. I didn't realize it myself till I got to High School and beyond. Then I looked back and realized that really elementary had been a waste of time: didn't learn anything except how to read, memorize and re-gurgitate information.

message 12: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Davis wrote: "Much better off being in public school...home school kids are emotionally crippled for life. There is no way you can reverse the kind of damage they have from being away from kids for so long, it f..."

Um, thanks. I'm graduating high school this year, by the way. I'm 15 turning 16. I doubt that that's a problem.

And I'm SURROUNDED by kids. You think I'm anti-social or something? I go places. It's not like I'm stuck in the house all the time. My gosh, stop assuming! It's really pissing me off!

message 13: by Malaz (new)

Malaz I could have basically learned all the stuff from elementary and middle school in about one year and been gone...

message 14: by Malaz (new)

Malaz Jayda- u've been homeschooled...is it an experience you would recommend?

message 15: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Malaz wrote: "Jayda- u've been homeschooled...is it an experience you would recommend?"

I'm planning on sending my kids to elementary school, most likely. But after that I think I'll home schooled them. I love how it works, it goes by much quicker, they can figure out their own point of views rather than being taught one point of view. Of course, it depends on how you teach them and who it is that's teaching them.

But it isn't for everyone. If the parents don't have the time then why bother home schooling them?

message 16: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I agree.

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I went to all of elementary school. My mom didn't have the patience to teach me the basics. One of the only reasons at first that they pulled us out was because of our medical conditions. One of the things to understand as that in public school systems there are only completely normal kids or mentally challenged children. There is nothing set aside to help the children that are mentally fine but medically needy. And my sister and I were medically needy children. So when the school started threatening to report us for missing school because of doctors appointments my mom said forget about it and pulled us out to home school us.

Other than school I had church and home school groups and neighborhood friends, among other things. It's not like we sit in the house all day reading text books xD That's a myth.

A couple of articles and studies done on home school kids. These are mostly for Davis but I would love everyone to read them.

Academic site:
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010...

Social site:
http://school.familyeducation.com/hom...

message 18: by Jayda (new)

Jayda No, they really didn't. It was either get taken away from them (or go through the process of being checked on constantly) or become home schooled. Which was easier, especially with our schedule full of appointments? Hm, I'd say home schooling. That way we could go to the doctors and do our school on the way and in the waiting room instead of missing everything and having to do make-up work.

We would have weeks where every day we'd have to go into Atlanta because of appointments. We tried to go through fifth grade by having my teacher come by on the weekends and help me catch up but it was just too difficult. My chronic pain was getting worse and the idea of me going back to school with the appointments laid on top was just ridiculous.

We had a choice and we took the way that worked.

message 19: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I agree :)

message 20: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments "You think I'm anti-social or something?"

Yes, yes I do. I think your conservatism is partly based off of a lack of human empathy that is derived from not being involved in the day to day struggle of humanity out of the nucleus of your family.

"they can figure out their own point of views rather than being taught one point of view."

That is a DAMNABLE lie. I have learned both sides of just about every issue in public school, especially ones I don't personally believe in because I live in the Bible Belt.

In your case, with the medical stuff, I'd say it was the only option. However, with most children, Public school is the best option.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2009 10:56PM) (new)

Paige wrote: "It's like a 5 hour school day. They mix kindergarten through fourth grade and fifth grade through eighth gra..."

Wouldn't mixing kids of such different ages increase the negative things your son is exposed to?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda, what is your medical condition? You keep mentioning it in various topics and my curiosity won't go away now.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2009 11:06PM) (new)

Paige wrote: "That is one thing that I would be scared of, but it would be a situation where the pros outweigh the cons. That would be one of the cons."

I honestly hate that foreign languages aren't taught earlier. My dad knows Spanish but refused to teach any of his kids, including me. He made us take it in high school when I'd honestly rather take Russian, which isn't even offered at my school. I'm completely in luv~ with Rosetta Stone & other software like that. I've never tried them, because I don't have the money, but I remember when I was little I'd see things like it on the tele and wiiiiish I had it. Basically, I just love other languages and wish I'd had the chance to learn them. OKAY I'M RANTING.

Anyway:
I think I'd put my kids through public schools but also have them take other classes for foreign languages early on outside of school. By the way, when I was in second grade I was accepted into the GATE program. (I didn't enter it until 5th) It's like honors classes for elementary school. I had to go to a different school for it, but it was worth it. I haven't had a normal level English class in seven years (x

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Paige wrote: "I wish that was around when I was in school. As soon as I was out of elementary, they added GATE. In all classes, I took College prep and I even took many Advanced Placement classes where we earned..."

I take AP classes too (=

In sixth grade we dissected books like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and The Outsiders. But I'm right with you, I think I could've been challenged more. Oh! But the great thing about 5th grade was we had hxc grammar lessons. I didn't like them because they didn't come super easily to me like everything else about English had, but now I'm glad I had it.

Exactly! Muzzy. I loved seeing their commercials. It made me sad I couldn't get it )=
I honestly wish the absolute best for you and your son. I hope he goes far in learning other languages.

message 25: by Chandani (last edited Jun 25, 2009 01:33AM) (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Home school FTW!

I do an online school, and its awesome. I learn things that my friends cant even BEGIN to comprehend. I mean im a 12 year old going into ninth grade. I'm going to graduate high school at sixteen and be in college before i turn seventeen.

I don't have to wait for everyone to finish a group book, i can read however much i damn well please. Pretty much i can go at my own pace. But i DO have a schedule of things that HAVE to get done a day, or else i'm in deep trouble.

You see instead of having Mr Garvey to be afraid of when i don't do my schoolwork, i have my MOTHER. Much, much more threatening, which eliminates the idea that being home schooled has less consequences.

Also being home schooled requires a certain amount of self responsibility and awareness that i just seemed to lack in regular school. I am the one in charge of how much i learn, and if i don't do good its my own fault. My teacher wasn't bad, i wasn't absent and its not like my dog ate my homework either. Its my responsibility to do my work, and I'm pretty damn good at it too.

In school there are plenty of E.C's but not really the kind that you are available to when your home schooled. This year i took a freshman english course at NYU, and got four credits. It was awesome, but the classes were only in the middle of the week, and if i had been in school, i would have never been able ot do that.

As far as social lives go, i'm actually at a sleepover right now, but they're watching a crappy movie and i dont want to.
I have friends, mostly from when i was in school, but i have them. Yeah, i have become slightly anti social, but mainly because i've realized that i can survive without my friends. To be honest most of my friends kind of make me sick. The whole middle school drama/ social hierarchy thing makes me want to puke. They THRIVE off of this drama, and it's all that they can talk about! As soon as i bring up thermodynamics or the rapidly increasing urbanization rate in china, they suddenly have something to do. Which i dont mind.

If anything home schooling has made it clear that i have better things to do than hang out with these typical people. If one of my friends hangs up on me I'm not going to get all offended and text her saying sorry for whatever i said. Because really, i could be at barnes and nobles right now reading a book.

i'm a social person, but being home schooled has made it so that if all of my friends dropped off the face of the earth i would say "Eh, it's alright, i still have the people on goodreads."

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"I for one, am not impressed with the public school system"

:) You've never been to my school.

"it also exposes your child to the negative aspects of society and peer pressure.
"

As does life. Can't keep them from that.

"I personally find that home-schooled kids tend to be smarter and finish school at a faster pace than public school kids. But then again, that is just a mere observation."

But as what cost? Much more isolation from kids their own age, obviously biased curriculum.

"The fact that there are no schools under High School that teach a foreign language saddens me"

Mine does.

Now, how do you have organized sports and clubs when you don't have a student body to participate? Do home school supply places also carry art supplies? Photography? Ceramics? Fashion design? Web design? COmmputer programing? When do you dissect the cat and fetal pigs and rats and frogs? WHere do you go for hand-on chemistry class? Talent nights, school plays, school concerts? I just couldn't give that up.

message 27: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Okay, from the perspective of a gifted kid (I'm not going to brag about my IQ, but it is very high, I will leave it at that), high school would have challenged me if I let it. However, I really don't give a fuck about school. I am a C average student. I do the majority of my learning on my own, but public school is ESSENTIAL to learning how to interact with humans.

message 28: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments "1321995 I would have to disagree. I'm not bragging, but my IQ is quite respectable as well, and I find that public school doesn't challenge me as it should. Why didn't you let it? Just curious. Why would you not want to grow your mind and take advantage of your potential?"

I did what I wanted and learned what I wanted and left the rest. It taught me all the fundamentals I needed for life. Then I had the ability to go out and explore whatever it was that I wanted too. It also helps immensely in teaching multiple view points which home-schooling and private schooling certainly do not.

"How is public school essential to learning how to interract with other humans? I found public school did nothing socially, it was private school that made all the difference in my social life and personality."

And now your an anti-choice conservative who tries to get people to keep peace in a debate group; case in point. Public school teaches problem solving skills from a very young age, exposes you to just about every ethnic group, shows the worst of society with fights/drugs/gangs, and you end up with the most well-rounded child going through a public school system. Not to mention the superiority of extra-curricular's weather they be athletic or academic.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

No one answered my questions.

"Now, how do you have organized sports and clubs when you don't have a student body to participate? Do home school supply places also carry art supplies? Photography? Ceramics? Fashion design? Web design? COmmputer programing? When do you dissect the cat and fetal pigs and rats and frogs? WHere do you go for hand-on chemistry class? Talent nights, school plays, school concerts? I just couldn't give that up."

message 30: by Lauren (new)

GAH NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

How would a home schooled kid get

organized sports
organized clubs
art supplies
Photography lab and dark room
Ceramics room
Fashion design and sewing room
Web design class and javascript
COmmputer programing
When do you dissect the cat and fetal pigs and rats and frogs?
WHere do you go for hand-on chemistry class? Where do you buy dangerous chemicals?
Talent nights, school plays, school concerts?

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz 1. sports teams. there are a lot of them.
2. online clubs. i.e. debate group
3. target or ben franklin
4. ritz camera, target
5. any art studio, summer camps
6. fabric store
7. summer courses, courses at local tech center
8. ditto
9. you order the fetal pigs and cats and dissect them in private school or homeschool. my private school dissects frogs every year in 6th grade.
10. the dangerous chemical store, duh.
11. you can go to a theatre and audition for plays, you can be a part of the youth orchestra.

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz and are fashion and design classes really needed?

message 35: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments "I do try and keep peace in a debate group; but which is better, the one creating the issues or the one resolving them?"

What issue have you ever resolved? You just bitch and moan about how 'unfair' we liberals are.

"I go to Amsterdam for weeks in the summer, I know drugs."

I would 75% of American children will NEVER get to experience anything of that nature.

"And the product of public school is the one insulting her, day after day. And this public schooled teenager continues to use "weather" when it should be "whether"."

Well, really, in my defense, you are just an insufferably dumb bitch.

"And how would you know that private school and home school don't teach all sides of an issue? Have you attended either?"

No, but I have friends who do. One who goes to a private school thinks gays are an abomination and should 'suppress homosexual tendencies', another believes in 'the fair tax' and all of them are conservatives. So in other words, the system failed them.

message 36: by Lauren (new)

"One who goes to a private school thinks gays are an abomination and should 'suppress homosexual tendencies'"

pfft.

message 37: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Lauren wrote: "How would a home schooled kid get

organized sports
organized clubs
art supplies
Ceramics room
Web design class and javascript
COmmpute..."

I'm a home schooled kid, and let me tell you we have EVERYTHING on your list.

NYCHEA: New York City Home Education Alliance, which i am a part of.

Organized Sports: Soccer every wednesday at pier forty

Organized Clubs: Book clubs, poetry clubs, math clubs, you name it we got it, just way cooler and more advanced than any piblic school club i've been to.

Art supplies: Uh, staples?

Photography and dark rooms: We have photography classes, one of which my mother teaches. We have time to intern with famous photographers and take as many classes on photography as we want. Right now, i'm only taking what my mom is teaching me, because i dont want to be a photographer. Easy as that.

Ceramics room: Art classes, pottery classes, pretty much EVERYTHING.

Web design and java script: Hey, were online aren't we? We also have about three web design classes that i know of.

Hands on Chemistry classes: Laurie's physical science and chem classes on tuesdays all theoughout the year.

Dangerous chemicals: They get around.

Talent shows: Plenty of those, i've never been in one, but i've seen my home schooled friends preform.

Plays, musicals and film making: I was in a play called the Boyfriend recently, all home school kids. My friends are in a play right now actually, and i'm going to the show on wednesday next week. Film making classes are offered at NYU film school for grades 9-12.

Political classes: I have a debate class, that i recently went with to washinton DC to lobby an environmental education bill. We debate pretty mych everything that we don on this group, except it gets a lot less heated, because the parents are around :P

As for Core classes like Math, English, and science, every kid has to take them, no matter what curriculum you take.

We also have the liberty to take extremely advanced courses such as the college freshman english course i took at NYU in May.

As for home schooling being conservative, i guess i'm a different kind of home schooled kid. My mother is probably one of the most liberal theistic people i know. I do my work, she checks, gives me a high five and goes back to sleep. I take the train to my classes, she checks with my teachers, gives me a high five and makes some pancakes. Thats how it goes.

And for the social thing, i guess i have it better than most home schoole dkids because i went to school on anf off until fifth grade. I'm a social person, but as i said before, iif all of my friends were to just disappear, i wouldn't be too hung up about it. I have better stuff to do than listen to them whine about how hard it is being twelve.

Also, as for the we will never experience trouble, drugs, boys or anything that kids are supposed to experience, that is a total fallacy. The only times i have been offered to smoke was by home schooled kids, which isn't a good thing, but jesus christ, were not robots. (By the way i said no).

We go to the movies all the time, we hang out in time square and do kid stuff. We HAVE lives, just with a little less drama and a little more home work.

message 38: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Chandani wrote: "Lauren wrote: "How would a home schooled kid get

organized sports
organized clubs
art supplies
Ceramics room
Web design class and java..."

Same here. It's not like we're secluded and never see the outside world... Everything you just listed are things that I get.

message 39: by Jayda (new)

Jayda J wrote: "Jayda, what is your medical condition? You keep mentioning it in various topics and my curiosity won't go away now."

I thought I already told you? Oh well ^^

I have a ganglioneuroma tumor on my spine, which is intertwined with my nerves. Doctors went in at age six to make sure it wasn't cancerous and in the process of the biopsy, collapsed my lung which has aided bad breathing problems ever since, and permanent nerve-damage with multiple affects. A few being that I'm unable to sweat on the right side of my body, making it much easier to overheat and get heatstroke. I've had heatstroke twice before and I've overheated multiple times, most recently last Thursday at camp. Also, all of my right side is smaller in size. I also have scoliosis caused by the tumor and chronic back pain.

message 40: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Paige wrote: ""Art supplies: Uh, staples?"

AHH!! What do you mean, uh staples? LOL

Art supplied entail: various pencils, charcoal, canvas, tempura paints, other paints, different types of paper, shading to..."

I actually used to go to art camp during the summer, so I got plenty of that. I can buy all of those things at a store. If not at a store, then online :)

message 41: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Davis wrote: "Okay, from the perspective of a gifted kid (I'm not going to brag about my IQ, but it is very high, I will leave it at that), high school would have challenged me if I let it. However, I really don..."

Eh, i mean i went to public school, and it taught me how to deal with the bitches in my class and the mean teachers, but it was ro hard to focus on anything else besides the people in my class. "What did she say about me? who likes who? He did what??" But now i'm pretty much socially carefree, which i know for a fact will change when i go to college, but i have enough friends to maintain my social skills and be able to work with people. I go to camp in the summer, and i'm stuck in a cabin with 6 or seven other girls, and i have to deal with them. We fight a lot, and sometimes someone gets called a fat bitch, but hey.

message 42: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Paige wrote: ""Art supplies: Uh, staples?"

AHH!! What do you mean, uh staples? LOL

Art supplied entail: various pencils, charcoal, canvas, tempura paints, other paints, different types of paper, shading to..."

I meant the supply store lol

message 43: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments And about Davis going off about home schooling not telling all sides of the story-- what story?

By being home with our mothers you expect that we simply fall into line with their moral and political expectations? That may be the case for some, but dont generalize, because it has been the very opposite for me. My mother tried REALLY hard to get me to have blind faith in god, but look at me, on here debating for atheism!

message 44: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Jayda wrote: "J wrote: "Jayda, what is your medical condition? You keep mentioning it in various topics and my curiosity won't go away now."

I have a ganglioneuroma..."

I'm sorry that must suck!

message 45: by Jayda (new)

Jayda And there are actually home school children who, heaven forbid, actually do their own research and teach themselves! Like me! :o How is that possible? -sarcasm-

message 46: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Jayda wrote: "Davis wrote: "Much better off being in public school...home school kids are emotionally crippled for life. There is no way you can reverse the kind of damage they have from being away from kids for..."

I'll be graduating when i'm sixteen too!!! xD

message 47: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Chandani wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Davis wrote: "Much better off being in public school...home school kids are emotionally crippled for life. There is no way you can reverse the kind of damage they have from being away..."

YAY FOR GRADUATING EARLY! xD
When my friends are still in high school I'll be in college :)

message 48: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments YAY!

message 49: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments When everyone i know will be a senior in high school i'll be a sophmore in college xD

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda wrote: "J wrote: "Jayda, what is your medical condition? You keep mentioning it in various topics and my curiosity won't go away now."

I have a ganglioneuroma..."

You told me about your sister, not you.

But ohhh okay, I got it now. Thanks~

« previous 1 3 4 5