Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do Parents Love Ugly Babies Less?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 24, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.time.com/time/health/artic...

We, of course, didn't have to worry about this. We were pretty.

message 2: by Knarik (last edited Jun 24, 2009 08:30PM) (new)

Knarik I don't think so.I think that parents love their child no matter what. I think it MUST be like that.
there is a saying, that "For a crow its child is a dove". (I translated it as right as i could)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's possible, researchers say, that the prettier you were when you were born, the more she loved you.

That statement is why I'm calling bs. Every baby is ugly when they're born. And it takes them a few days to "un-ugly". I have some cute-ass kids (thanks to their mom), but I readily admit that they were pug-ugly when they were born.

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I'm taken aback by babies that are so rotund that their thighs are nearly bigger than my own. *shudders*

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments I hope others will join me in saying: "I was an ugly baby."

It's alright.

Just let it go.

We're here for you.

Say it with me: "I was an ugly baby."

message 6: by Richard (last edited Jun 25, 2009 06:55AM) (new)

Richard | 347 comments Feel free to use synonyms.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think most human babies are ugly. Babies of other species are so much cuter.
Compare:
[image error]

[image error]

OK, maybe that test is a little biased.

message 8: by Richard (last edited Jun 25, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Richard | 347 comments "I was a heinous baby." (Rowan Atkinson)

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) PUPPY!!! *squeeS!*

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Is that Beans? hahaha, I came out smoking a cig and wondering who the hell interupted my soaps....it was a twnety hour labor my mother never lets me forget. Oh yea, and I was gorgeous darling!

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments That puppy looks so sad! :(

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments That's the "I just farted" expression, Heids.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments He caught a glimpse of Rowan Atkinson.

Better?
[image error]

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Or this one, stolen from Cute Overload?

message 15: by Heidi (last edited Jun 25, 2009 01:43PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments !!!!! \0/ !!!!!!

OMG! SQUEE!!!!!!!!

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Jun 25, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Richard wrote: "That's the "I just farted" expression, Heids. "

No way! He's too cute to be gassy.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's adorable, Sarah Pi!

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Sometimes I see a baby and I think--man, that kid is ugly. Then I feel guilty. For me it's the mouth. Some babies have very long mouths, kind of like muppets. Babies with the rosebud mouths seem to be so much cuter. It's funny how it seems so wrong to actually think a baby is ugly.

I knew someone whose mom always said he was the ugliest baby god ever let live. And he had a real complex about it, it messed him up--along with the other crap she did to him. Sad.

message 19: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill)
Thanks, David.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Poor kid!

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. That one would look good on my office door...

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I don't know about parents, but babies (to me) look like tomatoes with limbs and facial features like eyes, noses and mouths.

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I love watching a baby's face--all the expressions that pass through, wondering if they are feeling any of the emotions that we associate with those faces or if it's just like looking at clouds, like one looks like a lion, one looks like a dragon, etc. When I think of a baby, I think of a person that society hasn't inhibited yet and I try to see what all is in there and know that it was/is inside me too and that there really was a time before all the rules about what is acceptable to express and what isn't.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Rachel wrote: "I don't know about parents, but babies (to me) look like tomatoes with limbs and facial features like eyes, noses and mouths."

Wonders what the rest of us look like to Rachel

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, parents do love ugly children less. ask my mom. she explained this to me while she was feeding my good looking brothers and sisters ice cream while i had broccoli

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Feeding you broccoli meant she loved you more.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
Leslie, I loved your way with words in your post above. I held a baby for about a half an hour at a shower today (that's the best part about showers) and he was just so beautiful and sweet. And heavy! Eight months old and already 20 pounds!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I don't know about parents, but babies (to me) look like tomatoes with limbs and facial features like eyes, noses and mouths."

Wonders what the rest of us look like to Rachel

"

Definitely shapelier tomatoes.

message 29: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments The first thing I thought of when I looked at my daughter was... "She's purple!" (c-section, no air, she's fine now) and it kind of horrified me that I might have an ugly baby. But, as soon as I saw her in the nursery (even hooked up to tubes & jaundice-yellow) I couldn't believe how beautiful she was. No contest. (naw, I'm not biased at all)

Then, looking at the other premies in the nursery, there was one little guy that was just Fugly... he had the biggest honker of a nose I've ever seen, on anyone! Poor thing. But, his parents all gooed & gawed over him just like we did. So, I think it's just an unconditional love thing.

(And thank all the stars in the sky that my kid was the most beautiful one there! jk... well, sorta. Hee.)

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Cosmic Sher wrote: "The first thing I thought of when I looked at my daughter was... "She's purple!" (c-section, no air, she's fine now) and it kind of horrified me that I might have an ugly baby. But, as soon as I sa..."

There's a scientific explanation to this. I read this somewhere...

GAAAH!!! Who threw that tomato!?

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've been thinking about your tomato analogy all day too, Rachel.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments LOL

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Thank you Sally--
everybody needs someone, at least one person who thinks they are wonderful and beautiful and precious and who loves them, everyone needs to start life with an adult who cares about that child's well-being more than anything, more than their own--babies who don't have that start life with a huge disadvantage.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Leslie wrote: "Thank you Sally--
everybody needs someone, at least one person who thinks they are wonderful and beautiful and precious and who loves them, everyone needs to start life with an adult who cares abo..."

I agree with you, but I maintain my opinion just the same--because I don't have kids. Yet.

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments It's understandable. I thought I might be a rotten mother because I didn't like babysitting. There's something about having your own kid--and that includes adoption or any other way--that turns on some kind of maternal and paternal instinct that makes the present reality amazingly different than pre-kid reality. Guess that's why we're still on the planet.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Absolutely.

message 37: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I agree w/KD. All babies are ugly when they pop out, all wrinkled and cramped. It takes like three months to develop those cute traits.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments My favorite part is when they start smiling and giggling and then they start talking. That's the best part--after they start talking and before they start censoring themselves. I love that. My daughter was so philosophical when she was little. Still is, but back then it seemed so amazing.