Terminalcoffee discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments So here are the promised pergola pictures. I had nothing to do with any of this. Zu did it in four days, and my only contributions were my wallet, two trips to the dump, and an opinion on which stones to use for the little design.

Here's the before picture of everything we had to haul out of the backyard this last time (after several other trips):
[image error]

Here's the finished project (well, finished except staining it and deciding whether we're going to train a vine up the sides or what...):
[image error]

Here's the whole new area:
[image error]

Here's the cute bench she built in the other corner (where the two trees on either side of the frame are also perfect hammock-distance apart):
[image error]

Here's a bloom from the magnolia above the bench -- the white bloom is about the size of my head:
[image error]
And here's Bo, vigilantly watching for any stray nails to fall his way. He loves to chew on metal, alas.
[image error]

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
OOoooooooooooh! 6326! So beautiful! Looks like you guys have been hard at work.

Where do you live? Your sky is so blue.

I enjoy how the light looks so much paler in the first picture. I imagine that was from spring, a few weeks ago?

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It is very nice. I love Bo. Someone should tell him chewing nails is hazardous.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Baltimore. The sky is very blue. The backyard mess picture was just around June 8th, actually. It was just taken at a different time of day, I think. Morning, instead of evening.

Bo mostly sticks to chewing the nails, and does not seem to have ever swallowed one. Nothing stops him in his quest for unchewable chewables. Rocks, toy trucks, branches, glass. That's what I get for adopting a dog that was found in a dumpster.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow , a great cook and an accomplished carpenter, that Zu is a keeper. Very Nice Sarah Pi.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
What do you mean, "found in a dumpster"? Did you do the finding? Or did she come from a rescue shelter?

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This looks great! I love magnolia trees...we had two growing up.

Are you going to do any vines?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Vines is the plan...we just have to figure out which type. We were also considering getting a big tent of mosquito netting and fairy lights and some pillows so we can sit out there and drink or read or watch movies or something.

We got Bo from the SPCA. They said he had been found in a dumpster. It bears out -- he's never full, and will eat anything that isn't nailed down. We've had him for five years as of last week. He is actually a good dog these days, but it has taken years of hard work.

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Love your swing and Bo!!!

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah, we have a gazebo with mosquito netting on our deck...we bought it at Target at the end of summer sales a couple years back. My wife didn't think we use it much but now we're addicted to it. Our deck gets a ton of southern sun and we'd hardly be able to use the deck without the gazebo. I highly recommend shade:)

We've got massive kiwi vines, too...those suckers never stop growing.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Don't plant kudzu, Sarah!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The pergola looks great, Sarah Pi! I have plans for a patio in the front of the house, with lavender and rosemary around the edges, but I've never actually done anything about it.

I've got kiwis, too. Chris keeps cutting them back, and they keep growing from the fence to the house. They like to tap on the windows.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'll look into kiwi vines. No kudzu, check. Also no poison ivy, or vines that are actually snakes.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Or climbing roses would be very pretty!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's a pretty tough structure. I'll check into wisteria.(Bonus: there's a song about it).

Someone else mentioned clematis, and I think mentioned that it also grows quickly?

Grapes would also provide us with an excuse to wear togas and frolic and say "we are gods!"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Grapes would also provide us with an excuse to wear togas and frolic and say "we are gods!"

You need an excuse to do that? Oh.

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I thought Smurf sheets was excuse enough for Toga Parties.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't have Smurf sheets. I do have an original ET handtowel, but it doesn't cover much.

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Sarah Pi: Brownie points for the ET handtowel. Rock on.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Back to the pergola, I always liked trumpeter vines. The blossoms are really neat.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "Back to the pergola, I always liked trumpeter vines. The blossoms are really neat."

Just don't eat them, okay? As tempting as they might look...

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Just don't eat them, okay? As tempting as they might look..."

But ... why?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't know, Larry. But my mom warned me away from the trumpeter flowers when I was a kid (which I found puzzling - like, since when have I ever eaten strange plants, mom?), and I felt compelled to pass that information along.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And I really do appreciate it.

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) My dad grows tomato plants in his garden.