The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Nominations & Voting > Early book selecting or no?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Feb 13, 2008 01:50PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
So the question is if we want to nominate two months of books this month so that we get a month ahead. This has been discussed off and on so I know there are some major proponents for it as well as against it. Let's make a group decision here.

If we do decided to, it will still be separate nominations and voting as we are now alternating months for the main book being a classic or a modern (March is modern). If we decided to select a month in advance we could either do it at the same time (beginning Friday) or (if the decision has not yet been reached) we could begin on the first of next month so that there is back-to-back voting in March.

What are you opinions? Do you like it as it is so that the voting ends a few days before discussions begin? Would you prefer to have a month to access the book before discussions begin?

Or a third option, would you rather begin nominations at the beginning of the month with voting ending in the middle rather than as it is (beginning in the middle and being completed at the end of the month)? The third option is a compromise, giving a couple of weeks to access the book before discussions rather than an entire month.

message 2: by Sera (new)

Sera Thank you for posting this, Michele.

I would like to do a month in advance, if possible.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'd like to do it a month in advance too. Lately I've felt a little overwhelmed with book club books (choosing two a month for this club, plus my in-person club) that I haven't felt like I could read anything non-book club. This month has been a nice month of catching up since I read both books less than a year ago.

But I think if I had that much advance notice on what the books were going to be, I could read them at a more leisurely pace and be able to read other books in between.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it makes sense to me! So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera I agree, Ashley. Although we won't all always be on the same page (hehe, pun), it would be nice if we could be closer together on where we are on reading as a group.

Sarah, you crack me up. I get what you are saying, too. I would like to mix things up a bit by reading other books in-between book club selections.

Will we be picking another theme for March, too?

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (abqnorby6) If we could open up the nominations at the beginning of the month and ending in the middle would be helpful in obtaining the books on time.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I like the idea of choosing a month in advance as well.

message 7: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Personally, I like the third option. A couple weeks is usually all I need.
And I love the theme idea! But what would be appropriate for March? Leprechauns? hehe

message 8: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
I'm going for choosing a month in advance cause I'm a rather slow reader and I'd love to be on (approximately) the same page with all of you ;)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) For March: Easter?

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (anna_rose_reads) I really have no opinion on when selections take place, but for March themes maybe rebirth, it kind of goes along with Easter, but is a little broader.

message 11: by Bree (new)

Bree i like knowing early so i can get the books...i like the idea of rebirth for a theme. so it's two books and one from the list and one doesn't have to be on the list?

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I'd like to hear from more people before we decide, so for this month we will just do March books. If we decided to go a month early, we can this one time start at the beginning of the month then vote again at the end of the month to catch up. It's a little difficult to process two months at once anyway... so whatever the decision, we can still start early, just the first time it will only be two weeks. Then we can continue with it that way or move it to a month early. Or nothing at all, of course. Make sense? But since nominating begins tomorrow, lets hear more from everyone first.

message 13: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I hadn't commented on this yet because I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other. It hasn't been a problem for me to get ahold of the books yet though, partially because I can get digital versions of most of them and don't mind reading that way.

If it does become a issue, I guarantee the extra time would be put to good use. The library here is ridiculously small, interlibrary loan takes at least a month, there's no bookstore at all in my town, and amazon takes at least two weeks (using free super saver shipping). There's an independent bookstore in Anchorage that ships faster, but they often don't have what I'm after.

Rebirth is an interesting theme. That'll take some thinking.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I'd like to do the month ahead.

message 15: by Cristalle (new)

Cristalle | 7 comments I'd like to vote for more time between selecting and discussing a book, just so that I have time to even get the books in order to start reading them!

Thanks!

xo

message 16: by Bree (new)

Bree If we do rebirth as the theme i'm excited i already have one book in mind for that just have to come up with the companion book :)

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Feb 15, 2008 12:04PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Rebirth is a good theme because it's appropriate for Easter and also just spring in general for those who don't celebrate Easter.

message 18: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) I like the month in advance idea as well. I get most of my books on amazon and use the free shipping, so it takes a while for the books to get to me.

message 19: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Wow loving the Rebirth idea for a theme in March!

My vote is a month in advance. Then I have time to get the book and think about it without feeling rushed. I want to participate more in the conversations but feel I have little time to get the book and start talking with people about it. I think by voting in advance the whole experience will feel more leisurely.

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany If we're going with the rebirth theme I may have to let you all take the reins because looking at the Rory-bookshelf I'm not sure what would be appropriate to nominate. Fortunately the members of this book club have excellent taste so I'm eager to see what you girls (and guys!) come up with.
By the way, am I the only one freaking out that it's nomination time again?? Where did the month go?!

message 21: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Tiffany -- exactly so -- where did a month go? I can't keep up with time anymore -- so I try to slow down -- does that make sense? Probably only to me.

I am remaining neutral as to most operational matters but let me add it does seem helpful to have a month ahead not only for allowing purchase/order/delivery time but for getting library books which may be on hold lists depending upon the age and how many copies, etc.

Rebirth theme, eh? I'll have to peruse the list -- page by page by page still -- hope the search the shelf idea is wending its way through the new features process soon.

message 22: by Hippo dari Hongkong (last edited Feb 15, 2008 09:54PM) (new)

Hippo dari Hongkong | 74 comments Definitely vote for a month in advance!
Not just because i'm kind a slow reader and not to mention my poor English:(
Here's my problem, and i think Dini's problem too ;)
For a person who live in a third country, imported books are very limited. Most of the bookstore only sells bestsellers or award winning novels. Most of the people in the third country still considered book is a luxury. So sad...
My point is, if we choose "a month in advance" I can find the time to search the book, and with a little bit of luck maybe i can find the book..
I don't have any luck with Atonement and Jane Eyre though :(

message 23: by Anna (last edited Feb 16, 2008 07:15AM) (new)

Anna (anna_rose_reads) It seems like a lot of people are in favor of having nominations early. So can I post my ideas for rebirth?

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I'm new to the group, but I think it would be nice to have the extra time before discussions, too. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets chosen for March!

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I'm definitely curious to know your ideas Olive.

message 26: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee | 47 comments I haven't been here that long but I'd love a month in advance. There aren't that many great bookshops here so it takes me a while to track a lot of books down so any extra time to do this would so be appreciated!!

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna (anna_rose_reads) I was thinking of Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, which is on the Rory list, and Orlando by Virgina Wolfe.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz | 35 comments I know personally a month in advance would give me way more time to participate in the group discussions which are my favorite part!!! So my vote is a month in advance :0)

message 29: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) I also vote for a month in advance. I just started on groupreads and really have not been able to get quite involved yet in any of my groups 'cause I'm still waiting on books from the library, WHICH SUCKS! So I would really appreciate a month in advance to have the time to actually get the book.