The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea The Perfect Storm discussion

The Perfect Storm

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonathan Brown This is one of my favorite books of all time, what do you all readers think about it?

Cindy Frisbie I also enjoyed this. Hard to believe that there was such a story based on the storm and true!
Read War by Junger now

Lobstergirl Great book. I am going to reread it one of these days.

Jan C I enjoyed it but I doubt that it is a book that I would re-read.

I don't usually re-read disaster or true-crime books. Once is usually enough.

message 5: by Pippin (last edited Sep 01, 2011 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pippin I have a predilection for non-fiction and this book is the model for the mix i like: history, science, human-interest, drama, danger all rolled together. Every chapter in The Perfect Storm was another aspect of the dangers of working at sea in the modern era. This wasn't a horror book, but it was frightening to read about all the potential dangers and then the actual danger experienced by the people in the interwoven stories.
It was dissatisfying because it couldn't tell us exactly what happened, but could only speculate on the demise of the boat caught in the perfect storm. Yet, not knowing, left me with a lingering foreboding about going to sea. I'll stay in my armchair and read about it in terrific books like this one...

Torre DeRoche I read this book when I was sailing across the Pacific on a small, leaky boat. Stupid. For some reason, I read every tragedy book I can get my hands on whenever I do anything adventurous. I think that, in part, it helps me feel mentally prepared for the worst-case scenario. Anyway, I absolutely loved the The Perfect Storm. I gobbled it up with wide eyes and a beating heart.

Torre DeRoche, Author of Swept: Love with a Chance of Drowning

Marge I couldn't put this down- I felt like I was actually in the storm

Jeanine Well written, ultimately sad story.

message 9: by Amber (last edited Nov 23, 2013 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amber This book scared the crap out of me with that whole chapter about drowning (shudder)

Marge One of the most exciting books that I've ever read

message 11: by M.J. (new) - added it

M.J. Great book. The author did some really great research. I like how he chose to tell the story by weaving in the personal struggles of the fishermen and their friends and families. The education in meteorology was a bonus. Because the characters were so vivid, I kept wondering the whole time what the actual families thought about the book.

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Swike Yes, a great book, I am not a boat owner or fisherman, but if you are one, I think you would enjoy the book even more.

AndreaH Pippin wrote: "I have a predilection for non-fiction and this book is the model for the mix i like: history, science, human-interest, drama, danger all rolled together. Every chapter in The Perfect Storm was anot..."
If you can get it, try "Dead Men Tapping" about guys trapped in hull of a fishing vessel run over by a barge off the coast of Gloucester, and the hours-long attempt to save them

AndreaH M.J. wrote: "Great book. The author did some really great research. I like how he chose to tell the story by weaving in the personal struggles of the fishermen and their friends and families. The education in m..."
Article from paper on 20th anniversary:
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/...