Evil Avatar discussion

Books of the Month > Time Travelers Wife Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments This is our February book of the month. Discuss here!

Kevin    (KSmitty) Smith (ksmitty) | 4 comments Well I just started yesterday, but so far I am enjoying the book. I have to thank all the people who voted for it, because going by the cover description I would have never read this book. I would like to sit down and map out the different times in the book. I won't say too much as it looks like not too many people have started, but I will be sure to come back once I have finished.

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) I agree with Kevin that the cover description of this book doesn't do it justice. It was a fantastic story and I'm really glad I read it.

I can't wait for more people to read it and comment.

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip | 8 comments Mod
I'm about half way into the book. It is a great book, but very mainstream and the pacing doesn't seem to pick up even after about half the book.

message 5: by Nat (new)

Nat | 13 comments I concur that this has been an excellent read. Never judge a book by its feminine cover!

Kevin    (KSmitty) Smith (ksmitty) | 4 comments Well I finished today on my lunch break. I really did enjoy the book and it has some interesting time paradoxes. I will be handing this one off to my lady, I read her a couple of excerpts and she wants to read it now too.

message 7: by Eric (last edited Feb 28, 2008 02:27PM) (new)

Eric | 13 comments Terrific book. I love the duplicity of the characters. One scene that are terrific, in another they are deplorable. The author did a very good job with telling the story. Some things seemed out of place, but made sense in the grand scheme of things.

I hated Gomez almost from the beginning, and near the end he proved it really well. Still annoyed with that sub-chapter.

I also found out that it is being made into a movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

Kevin    (KSmitty) Smith (ksmitty) | 4 comments Ugh. I am not suprised to hear that it is being turned into a movie. I don't know how they plan on even making that work. Most of the character development in the book is personal revelations by the character and unless it is done very well movies told out of order feel broken.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip | 8 comments Mod
I finished reading it today. I found the book interesting, but not really compelling. We never really learn much about the characters -- all we get for the most part are little snippets of their interaction with each other in different time periods. A lot of their emotion other than a kind of 16-year-old puppy love, seems mostly lost amid the jarring transitions from one time to another.

The author even writes in a very oddball style... each section is hardly ever more than a page long. How much can you learn in a page? Or another way to look at it would be to say, "Anyone can write one good page." and it felt a lot like what she did was write 400+ one page short stories that were loosly tied together.

I'm glad I read it, but it doesn't make the favorites list.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments I really liked the book. I actually felt like I knew the characters extremely well, which is funny given your impressions Phil. I did tend to agree on the "puppy love" thing they had going on. But I thought it wasn't too horribly done, given the nature of the relationship. And Henry's emotions clearly had ranged. He seemed like a much fuller character than Clare.

I did like the introduction of Alba, and the truly "timeless" nature of Henry and Clare's relationship. I kind of liked the style, although I agree it could have had more flow.

In the end, I agree. Really good book, but not GREAT.