Red Dress Ink Fans discussion

Quarterly Books > Jack With A Twist, July 2009 (2nd Book)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 5567 comments Mod
Ok, here's the sequel!

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara I am going to see if I can get this from the library so I can read it with you guys. Maybe the Kindle will have it?

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Tara wrote: "I am going to see if I can get this from the library so I can read it with you guys. Maybe the Kindle will have it?"

I just found it and placed a hold on it. WHOO HOO!!! I get to read it now too.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments hey there! i just posted a comment on the SCOT discussion and now im so excited to be posting one here, too!

i really hope that you guys enjoy the books!

xoxo
brenda

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Thanks for joining the discussion Brenda! :)

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 95 comments Brenda wrote: "hey there! i just posted a comment on the SCOT discussion and now im so excited to be posting one here, too!

i really hope that you guys enjoy the books!

xoxo
brenda"

Brenda,
Thanks for joining us! So excited to have you.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Thanks Brenda. I am excited to read of these books.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Jen wrote: "I have placed a hold for both at the library...hoping to join in next month."

Even if you can't get them in time, you can always add to the discussion later! :)

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara I surprisingly got it from the library. I think they had to order a new one because I have looked for it there before and couldn't find it.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments im so glad you are all gearing up to read jack! i really hope you will all enjoy it.

the funny thing is that i wrote jack, and then got engaged myself! so many people think its based on my real life experience of being engaged, but it was actually written in full before i got the ring! which is great, bc when you meet jacks family, youll see why it was a good thing that i wasnt writing it as i planned my own wedding!

xoxo
brenda

message 11: by Stacy (new)

I so cannot wait to read this!

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara I am starting this book today. I can't wait to read more about Jack and Brooke.

message 13: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments I just was able to start Scot on the Rocks this morning and I'm already in love! Which of course means I can't wait to start this book as well :)

message 14: by Stacy (new)

I was so hoping to finish Scot this weekend so I could start this one but I didn't get very much reading done. (pouting)

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara I am on Chapter 9 already and I only started it last night.

I am also read The Wedding Girl-Madeleine Wickham on my Kindle but I keep going back to Jack with a Twist.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments Oh yippee, Tara! I'm so glad that you are enjoying. You'll have to let me know how The Wedding Girl is. You are all about weddings this week!!

Stacy-- that's okay! We'll wait for you to get started! :)

message 17: by Stacy (new)

Thanks Brenda! I'm trying! :) I took Scot with me tonight when I took my daughter to the park to play and got a little more in. I've just finished my homework so I'm going to dive back into it before I go to bed! :)

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Brenda wrote: "Oh yippee, Tara! I'm so glad that you are enjoying. You'll have to let me know how The Wedding Girl is. You are all about weddings this week!!

Stacy-- that's okay! We'll wait for you to get st..."

I know Brenda! I think I am on wedding overload. LOL!! I will let you know how Wedding Girl is. Right now it's a little slow but it may be because I am hooked on Jack with a Twist. :)

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara I finished this book. I LOVED IT!!!!!! How will I find anything to read that will compare to this and Scot on the Rocks????

I can't wait for everyone to finish so I can say more. :)

message 20: by Stacy (new)

I get to start this now! Well, I actually already did...but I'm excited to read it!

message 21: by Stacy (new)

I cannot believe Brooke's mother was saying what she was saying during the bridal dress hunt!

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments tara-- you just made my day!!! im so thrilled that you enjoyed the books.

and stacy, i love that scene with brookes mom. isnt she hilarious?! i was at a book club once and one of the women knew my mom and was offended by the scene. she was like, your mother would never do that! i was like, lady, its fiction!!!

so, stacy, since you did such a good job casting SCOT, who do you think should play brooke's mom??

message 23: by Stacy (new)

Ok ok - I've got it!

Holland Taylor - the mom on Two and a Half Men!

Whaddya think?

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara She could definitely be the mother in law but not the mom.

message 25: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Yay I get to start this book today!!!

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments Stacy-- I LOVE Holland Taylor! But I have to agree with Tara on this one-- I think she'd make a PERFECT Mrs. Solomon. For Brooke's mom, I like Fran Drescher! And yes, I know she's described as a blonde, but how cute would she be in that wedding dress scene??

Kourtney: can't wait to see what you think!

message 27: by Stacy (last edited Jul 09, 2009 05:27PM) (new)

Hmm...I was thinking Angelica Houston for the mother in law....she did a really great job at being a cold, snooty step-mother in Ever After. For some reason Fran Drescher just doesn't seem old enough to me.
For Jack's father, I was thinking of the guy that played Cher's father in Clueless....but he's kind of on the short side....not sure if that would look right.

******SPOILER******
Anyway, I've just gotten past the part where Brooke & Jack find out they are working on the same case. I love how she kept telling the judge that Jack is deeply, madly and desparately in love with her! I can't believe she's not giving up the case so she can have Monique (did I spell that wrong?) design her wedding dress! I would've used Jack as the perfect reason not to lead the case!
Oh yeah, who brings meat for a gift??!! LOL!

message 28: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments Angelica Houston! I never thought of her-- but I'm a huge fan!!! I like your pick for Jack's dad, too!!!

Will wait for more people to catch up to respond to spoilers. :)

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments But I think I can say without spoiling a thing that yes, weddings are all about the dress!!!

message 30: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments THANK YOU! My bf and I get into arguments about where to have our wedding (if we were to get married because I have no ring on my finger) and I always say I don't care because IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DRESS! I never planned since I was 5 what my reception would look like, or how many people would be there. It's all about how I'll look in my pictures with the dress - THE DRESS!

message 31: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I think maybe Jack/Brooke in the movie version actually came up on the other thread, but I'll bring it up here anyway -- have to cast a vote for Ben Stiller as Jack! He's adorable, funny, and kinda quirky, and I had him in my head as Jack the entire time I was reading both books. As for Brooke, I'm not sure who I'd pick, but I keep coming back to this British actress named Martine McCutcheon, who is in one of my favorite movies, "Love Actually" (she plays the assistant to the Prime Minister and falls in love with Hugh Grant). And I love both Holland Taylor and Fran Drescher as the moms! :)

And Kourtney, too funny about the wedding dress. I think I might have been the world's worst bride, because I didn't really care about my dress. I picked out the 4th one I tried on, and it has been hanging in the closet of my old bedroom in my parents' house since the day after my wedding. My husband and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary yesterday and went to have dinner at the hotel where we got married. We even saw another wedding going on...pretty romantic evening! :)

message 32: by Tara (new)

Tara Jen-I think Ben Stiller would be a great Jack. I like him. I don't think I have seen Love Actually so I am not sure who that person is. Is it a good movie?

Kourtney-you are too funny! I think I only tried on three or four dresses and I picked the second one I tried on. It was A-line and I loved it. I hope you get that ring someday soon. LOL! Next month we will be married one year. It went by so fast. We are celebrating by going to a Nascar race. I am a big Dale Earnhardt, Jr. fan. YAY! The followed by a week off of work. I can't wait.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JEN!!!

message 33: by Stacy (new)

Kourtney wrote: "THANK YOU! My bf and I get into arguments about where to have our wedding (if we were to get married because I have no ring on my finger) and I always say I don't care because IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DR..."

Kourtney - my wedding dress was one of the two most expensive things at my wedding. It rivaled the photographer at $600! I still have it, even though I'm divorced. It sucks, I wasted the perfect dress on the wrong jerk, er, I mean, man. :)
Should I someday decided to lose my mind and get married AGAIN, it will again have to be all about the dress! I'll have the challenge of finding yet another "the perfect dress!"

message 34: by Stacy (new)

Jen B wrote: "I think maybe Jack/Brooke in the movie version actually came up on the other thread, but I'll bring it up here anyway -- have to cast a vote for Ben Stiller as Jack! He's adorable, funny, and kinda..."

Ben Stiller is great for these kinds of roles. I love your idea for Brooke and I love that movie! In fact, I think I love just about anything that's got Hugh Grant in it! LOL!

And Happy Belated Anniversary! :)

message 35: by Stacy (new)

Tara wrote: "Jen-I think Ben Stiller would be a great Jack. I like him. I don't think I have seen Love Actually so I am not sure who that person is. Is it a good movie?

Kourtney-you are too funny! I think I o..."

Tara, I have it, you can borrow it from me. :)

message 36: by Tara (new)

Tara Thanks Stacy! I do want to see it.

message 37: by Stacy (new)

Ok, so I finished the book today! Soooooo great!!!
I don't want to write any more spoilers, so I'll keep my mouth shut until everyone else is done.

I had another idea though for Jack's (or Brooke's) mom - Sally Field! Since Vanessa is a dead ringer for Halle Barry, wouldn't it be awesome if she played the part??!!

Oh Brenda! One thing I keep forgetting to mention, this is crazy. The partner that interviewed Brooke for her new firm - Rosalind (did I spell it right?) Ford - that's my last name too! And, here's even more irony - my boyfriend's name is the same as Brooke's dad - Barry! LOL! Crazy!

message 38: by Tara (new)

Tara Stacy wrote: "Ok, so I finished the book today! Soooooo great!!!
I don't want to write any more spoilers, so I'll keep my mouth shut until everyone else is done.

I had another idea though for Jack's (or Bro..."

I think Sally Field would be good as Brooke's mom. Nice, Stacy!!!

message 39: by Stacy (new)

Thanks!

message 40: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments Kourtney-- yes. it is all about the dress!!! dont let anyone tell you otherwise!

Jen B-- LOVE Ben Stiller as Jack! Such a good call! Do you have his number? We should call him and tell him to be in the movie. :)

Stacy-- SUCH a good call on Sally Field! Love her!!! Okay, let's call her, too. :) I love how I gave you all those shout outs in the book before even knowing you!!

Speaking of names, did I tell you guys that my husband's name is Douglas?! I wrote the first book before meeting him, but we think it's so funny that his name is the same as the villain!!!

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara That's funny Brenda. How ironic that you would marry someone named Douglas. I have a step dad named Nick, brother named Nick and I married a Nick. It's definitely funny when we are all together and someone says Nick and you have three of them answering. When I read books and the character is Nick it just seems weird to me.

message 42: by Stacy (new)

LOL, here's some more irony....my dad's name was Douglas as was my uncle on my mom's side.
I say "was" for both because I lost my dad in a car accident a little over three and a half years ago and my uncle just passed away in February from poor health (he had a lot of medical conditions).

Tara, I thought that's why you always call your brother Nicholas? :)

message 43: by Tara (new)

Tara I call him Nickolas but he goes by Nick. LOL!

message 44: by Stacy (new)

So I'm thinking Chris Noth needs to be in one of the movies too (He's soooo hot, I love me some Mr. Big! LOL!) but I don't know who he could be....

message 45: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 1215 comments Hee hee maybe he could make a cameo as one of the husbands of Jack's sisters! I just got to the part where Brooke was meeting the full family for the first time with her family (LOL!) What were their names again!?!? LOL that had me rolling on the floor when I read it.

message 46: by Stacy (new)

I know! Too funny! I can't remember them either...what were they? Adam, Lance and Aaron?

message 47: by Stacy (new)

Oh, Brenda - are there plans for a third Brooke Miller book?

message 48: by Tara (new)

Tara Please say that there is Brenda!!! LOL!

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments tara-- isnt it so funny about names?!

stacy-- so sorry about your dad and uncle. its so hard to lose the ones you love.

on a lighter note, yes, i LURVE chris noth! that man is so freaking hot it is ridiculous!!! i used to always go to his club in nyc, but never got to see him. :(

im so glad you guys liked the scene with jacks brothers in law! i had so much fun writing it, but had to keep such diligent notes to keep them all straight!!! for the record, they are adam, alan and aaron. ridiculous, right?!

right now, im working on a third novel, but its not featuring brooke. in fact, its a whole new cast of characters and an entirely different tone. i hope that you will all still like it, tho! :)

i would LOVE to come back to brooke, so that could definitely happen in the future. i think i told you guys in the other thread that im pregnant now, so all these funny things are happening and CLEARLY they need to go into another brooke book! brooke being pregnant would just be so hysterical to write, i think. and her mom and dad would just be hilarious. so i will keep you guys posted on that!

message 50: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 21 comments btw, i keep forgetting, but meaning to tell all of your book lovers here: i do book giveaways on my site all the time! so, you really must hop over there and enter to win. right now, im giving away saralee rosenberg's dear neighbor, drop dead, and in the next few weeks im giving away allison winn scotch's time of my life and then sheila curran's everyone she loved.

hop onto http://brendajanowitz.blogspot.com/ to check out the giveaways!

« previous 1