Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book vs Graphic Novels vs Comics

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindig (last edited Jun 23, 2009 07:52AM) (new)

Lindig | 167 comments I was working on Peter O'Donnell, author of the Modesty Blaise works. I say "works" because 13 titles are actual books, either novels or story collections. I put the book series info like so: Modesty Blaise book #1 through #13). The books really are a series.

Nearly all the other titles shown are labeled "graphic novel" when what they really are is reproductions of the comic (adventure story) strip he wrote for 40+ years (with several different illustrators), and each "graphic" volume usually contains more than one complete story.

It's my understanding that a graphic novel is just that -- a single story (novel) told in graphic form. So the strip collections, with more than one story in them, aren't technically "novels." But -- should we leave that designation as it may be what most people would look for?

I collect this author (actually, I was what is termed a "completist") and so have complete lists of everything he wrote and the formats they've been published in to date.

Oh yes, there's also a children's book author by the same name. When I called up the POD list, a few titles by this other guy came up. How do I check for the extra space that would differentiate him from the MB guy?

Sorry for the long post.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Lindig wrote: "It's my understanding that a graphic novel is just that -- a single story (novel) told in graphic form. So the strip collections, with more than one story in them, aren't technically "novels." But -- should we leave that designation as it may be what most people would look for?"

"Graphic novel" has come to mean the same thing as "comics in book form" -- I agree that it's not the right terminology! But I don't think there's anything better known, so we should carry on with it anyway. :(

"Oh yes, there's also a children's book author by the same name. When I called up the POD list, a few titles by this other guy came up. How do I check for the extra space that would differentiate him from the MB guy?"

You can't see it until you open the book record for editing: then, the author in the primary author slot should show the extra spaces. (They're hard to see in some browsers -- I have to put my cursor between the spaces and arrow back and forth sometimes to be sure!)

message 3: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Aren't we not putting the word 'book' in the title field for the most part? Or am I incorrect there? For the example Lindig shows I would have put it like this:
(Modesty Blaise, #1-#13) OR (Modesty Blaise Series, #1-#13)
I remember a post on here where we talked about it and I think rivka may have added it to the Librarian manual as well?

message 4: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments I was trying to say that I had used the word "book" in the series info to differentiate the novels from the comic strip collections (i.e. graphic novels).

I mean, everything he did is part of the Modesty Blaise "series" but some things are connected one way and some another.

message 5: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments Cait wrote: "

Well, I just figured out I don't know how to reply to just a piece of what you said. Anyhow...

Okay, we'll leave graphic novel as the umbrella term.

message 6: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments (Modesty Blaise, #1-#13) would match the current suggestions for series information.

Lindig wrote: "It's my understanding that a graphic novel is just that -- a single story (novel) told in graphic form."

Sometimes it takes more than one graphic novel to match up to the full story presented in one novel.

message 7: by Eva Marie (last edited Jun 23, 2009 05:52PM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Lindig wrote: "Cait wrote: "

Well, I just figured out I don't know how to reply to just a piece of what you said. Anyhow...

Okay, we'll leave graphic novel as the umbrella term."

Lindig- usually the reply is able to be seen by the right person, especially in this group but if you do want to do it like that all you have to do is click on the small link that says 'reply' right at the bottom left hand corner of that persons comment. (You can see them on all the comments above.) Then it'll take you to the comment box and the top of the box will be filled with the beginning of that persons comment. Then you can continue on underneath.
Something that's so easy once you see it or someone explains but you just can't find sometimes! I totally missed (for awhile) how to flag a review and asked someone here, went back to look, and was shocked at how blatant it was. :)

Instead of commenting again also, you can do what I just did and click 'edit' (near the 'reply') and add on if you want to also- I wanted to tell you I get what you're saying about the word 'book'. There might be a guideline for that already though in the manual that you might want to check. I don't mess with those so I don't know graphic versus non.

message 8: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments What I was trying to do reply to a snippet of Cait's comment, and snip out all the rest (the way Cait did in message 2). I did hit reply but it only showed me the first sentence or so of what Cait said, so I didn't know how to get to the rest of her comment.

Am I making any sense at all?

message 9: by Cait (last edited Jun 24, 2009 07:21AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Lindig wrote: "I did hit reply but it only showed me the first sentence or so of what Cait said, so I didn't know how to get to the rest of her comment."

Bun's right -- I hit "reply" to get the template and then just cut and paste what I actually want to reply to into the quotes.

"Am I making any sense at all?"

Yup. ;)

message 10: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments How funny- I've never actually gone that far. If I do anything at all I just hit reply and hope the person realizes what I'm refering to. Usually the context of the sentence will do the rest but I can certainly see why you guys would that and I'll probably use it now to! LOL

message 11: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 167 comments BunWat wrote: "Yes. Simplest thing is to just use cut and paste. You can use your mouse to highlight any part of her post and then just use your browser to copy it into the comment you are currently writing. "

So simple it never occurred to me. Thanks.