Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Any Issue - 2004 > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice | 5 comments I am almost half way through the 800+ pages and I am loving it. It is a creative mix of historical fiction and fantasy. What wonderful and unique characters are the two magicians - Mr Norrell, fussy and neurotic about his books while protective and stingy with his magic, contrasted with Jonathan Strange, eager to help and please others in need of his magic as well as to try new magic. Has anyone else read this?

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 24, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

Stephanie This has been on my to-read list FOREVER. I am not usually daunted by size, but for some reason, this is what has been holding me back from checking this out of the library. I am not really into the Harry Potter series, and I once heard someone describe this as "Harry Potter for adults" which also turns me off. I have nothing against the Harry Potter series - I think they are wonderful stories and many of them got non-reading children reading, but I petered out on the fourth book.

What would you tell me to get me to read this book? It is quick reading? Are you sucked in immediately? At this point, how many stars do you think you would give it?

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice | 5 comments Stephanie wrote: "This has been on my to-read list FOREVER. I am not usually daunted by size, but for some reason, this is what has been holding me back from checking this out of the library. I am not really into th..." It didn't take me long to get into it. She was slow to introduce each of the two main characters. I've had a lot of life distractions so I've had to set it aside for a day or two at a time which is affecting my enjoyment because it is hard to put down and I wish I could sit and read it cover to cover. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars at this point. I am not normally a big fantasy fan but this one is great escapism and it is easy to suspend reality with this book.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I just got this from my book swap, but due to the length I am going to have to set it aside for December, when I don't need to read one for our book group here and one for my F2F group. Glad to hear such good reviews.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 450 comments I got this book for Christmas (from my mother) several years ago. I tried reading it but couldn't get into it at the time. I even took it to our library book sale but when it didn't sell, I reclaimed it (mostly out of guilt for trying to get rid of a gift my mother had given me). It's been sitting on my shelf for several years now and I keep looking at it, thinking I've got to read this "one of these days". Betsy, let me know when you start it and I'll start it too. Knowing someone else is reading it just might inspire me to stick with it.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Joycenclyde wrote: "Joycenclyde wrote: "Just began this on audio. Going to take a while on my 20-minute drive. I like it so far and I'm not at all a fantasy fan but there are other aspects, the historical and Dickensi..."

Wow! You've been listening to this a long time! The length is a little intimidating, but it sure looks like an interesting read. I also picked this up at Goodwill a couple of weeks ago.